New To Being a Vegetarian

Hello everyone! I just recently started being a vegetarian for health reasons in hopes of working my way to being vegan. Does anyone have any tips for my new lifestyle or foods that I should eat/stay away from?

Also, I want your opinions- Is fish considered a non vegetarian food?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited September 2015
    I believe people who eat fish but no other meat are generally called pescatarian.

I was lacto-ovo (milk and egg eating) vegetarian for years. There is a healthy way to do it and a gain a lot of weight really fast way to do it.

Lots of vegetarian and vegan packaged foods are delicious and full of calories you probably don't need on a daily basis. So if you have ever had an issue with weight your best bet is to shop the produce aisle and maybe grab some dried rice and beans, eggs and cheese if you eat that, seeds, nuts, and dried fruit if you have the calories to spare. But if you head down that specialty aisle where all that sweet, sweet chocolate and all those delicious vegan chips are, especially in Whole Foods, watch out!

Another thing, at one point I unintentionally dropped my fat in food percentage down to about 10% when I was vegan. I had brain fog, was irritable, and started losing energy. I know some people swear by the 10% fat version of vegetarianism, but it sure messed me up.
  • cs7softball
    cs7softball Posts: 4 Member
    Yeah at first I lost weight and thought it was great because it helped me stay away from processed food. And then I started gaining weight and I think its from all of the carbs I started consuming. But I also get headaches sometimes and feel dizzy, but I know that I eat enough. Is it from lack of protein? I haven't quite figured out how to combine foods to get complete proteins just yet.
  • zikarra
    zikarra Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2015
    A vegetarian who eats fish is a pescetarian as far as I know and a fish is an animal..so it's not vegetarian. However don't just eat like a strict vegetarian or vegan because you think it's all or nothing - I eat mostly vegetarian and most of my meals are even vegan but I eat chicken breast occasionally. So I eat tofu, seitan, lupine, legumes, veggies.. Many processed foods have added flavours that stem from some kind of animal so check all the labels if you want to be strict.this applies especially to crisps /chips. I used to frown upon tofu because I only tried it at a chinese buffet once. It's a great source of protein though and it's easy to prepare - the most important part is the spices and marinades - tofu tastes like the sauce you make it with or the spices you put with it. You can also bake it with sesame crumbs though or make a burger with a slice of smoked tofu.

I always keep canned beans like kidney beans and chickpeas in the pantry they are super versatile for vegetarian meals and you really have to make sure you always have your favorite veggies in the house - for us thats brokkoli and carrots and we always have onions. In fact - theres some vegetarian meals I cook and my boyfriend never thought they were meatless (canneloni in tomato sauce with a filling made from sunflower seeds,parsley,gruyere cheese,bread and lots of browned onions)

When you cut out meat you might find that meals are less filling unless you include some sort of protein source (lentils,chickpeas,other beans,tofu/soy) so make sure you get a bit of everything.

Some vegetarian ready meals like burgers and sausages are VERY high in fat and some taste disgusting (don't like quorn) try and make your own versions of those like falafel,tofu burgers,marinade soy pieces and fry them with canned tomatoes to make a bolognese etc. that way you can cut a lot of the unwanted fats and add more flavor.

Try and order your vegetarian foods online or go to a store that specializes in them because supermarkets don't always have a good selection - some of the substitutes are expensive which is why I see them like a treat,a pack of vegetarian sausages or similar comes in at 3€ a pack which is expensive..

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Yeah at first I lost weight and thought it was great because it helped me stay away from processed food. And then I started gaining weight and I think its from all of the carbs I started consuming. But I also get headaches sometimes and feel dizzy, but I know that I eat enough. Is it from lack of protein? I haven't quite figured out how to combine foods to get complete proteins just yet.

There are some vegetarian and vegan forum people who might be able to help you with that, just click groups, pick the first few you see, they'll have the most members and are probably most active. But of course maybe a visit to the doc isn't a bad idea, either, as far as dizzy and headaches.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Like they've said, if you eat fish you're a pescetarian, but I also absolutely agree with the idea that you don't have to go all-or-nothing. It kind of depends on your reasons for wanting to move to a more plant-based diet. If it's for animal welfare reasons, just reducing the amount of meat you eat on a regular basis can make an impact, if you're not ready to go full vegetarian or vegan yet. I've been a vegetarian since I was 11, and in that time I've been every possible sub-type of vegetarian (ovo-lacto, lacto-only, and even full vegan). Do what you can and what fits your lifestyle now, and don't worry too much about the label.

A lot of people who switch over to plant-based diets have issues getting enough protein at first, and I think it's for a few reasons: 1. a lot of the meat substitutes we're offered (like a grilled portobello instead of a burger) don't work at all as substitutes for the macronutrients in the original food, and 2. some of the "vegetarian high-protein foods" we hear about, like almonds for example, really aren't high-protein at all. Read all the labels, and start planning your meals around the protein. Some of my staples are greek yogurt (again, read labels, because not all yogurts are created equal), cottage cheese, eggs, beans, protein powder and protein bars.

I get wicked headaches, dizziness and nausea when I haven't eaten in long enough, and high-carb meals without adequate protein/fat give me spikes and crashes that just make it worse. It could be something similar, but I'd check with a doctor just in case.
  • This content has been removed.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    I literally just wrote a question asking for advice on being ABLE to eat meat again. I have problems because I am grossed out by it. I don't recommend it. Unless you are super diligent about getting your protein and iron, it's very easy to become weak, tired, and lethargic. I've been doing it for three years now, and with the working out I do now, it's just so hard to keep energy. Good luck- I would seriously consider keeping the meat if it's not due to physical intolerance!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    zikarra wrote: »
    A vegetarian who eats fish is a pescetarian as far as I know and a fish is an animal..so it's not vegetarian. However don't just eat like a strict vegetarian or vegan because you think it's all or nothing - I eat mostly vegetarian and most of my meals are even vegan but I eat chicken breast occasionally. So I eat tofu, seitan, lupine, legumes, veggies.. Many processed foods have added flavours that stem from some kind of animal so check all the labels if you want to be strict.this applies especially to crisps /chips. I used to frown upon tofu because I only tried it at a chinese buffet once. It's a great source of protein though and it's easy to prepare - the most important part is the spices and marinades - tofu tastes like the sauce you make it with or the spices you put with it. You can also bake it with sesame crumbs though or make a burger with a slice of smoked tofu.

I always keep canned beans like kidney beans and chickpeas in the pantry they are super versatile for vegetarian meals and you really have to make sure you always have your favorite veggies in the house - for us thats brokkoli and carrots and we always have onions. In fact - theres some vegetarian meals I cook and my boyfriend never thought they were meatless (canneloni in tomato sauce with a filling made from sunflower seeds,parsley,gruyere cheese,bread and lots of browned onions)

When you cut out meat you might find that meals are less filling unless you include some sort of protein source (lentils,chickpeas,other beans,tofu/soy) so make sure you get a bit of everything.
    Some vegetarian ready meals like burgers and sausages are VERY high in fat and some taste disgusting (don't like quorn) try and make your own versions of those like falafel,tofu burgers,marinade soy pieces and fry them with canned tomatoes to make a bolognese etc. that way you can cut a lot of the unwanted fats and add more flavor.

Try and order your vegetarian foods online or go to a store that specializes in them because supermarkets don't always have a good selection - some of the substitutes are expensive which is why I see them like a treat,a pack of vegetarian sausages or similar comes in at 3€ a pack which is expensive..

AKA, it's so freakin' tough being a pescatarian! (I eat fish once or twice a month)

and to the bolded part-- i can eat beans and tofu until my eyes pop out, but never fully feel satisfied.
  • vegetarian2626
    vegetarian2626 Posts: 34 Member
    i love fresh mixveg stirfry with maxican cooking sauces and italian noodles they all make a nice meal, filling and nutritious and taste great maybe you can try it too
    wholemeal toast with avocado some red onions and cherry toamtoes and orange juice make a lovely breakfast

being vegetarian means all food from plants, although we do have milk products but without killing animals no eggs or fish, basically it all depends how you want to be vegetarian, vegans dont even have milk products definitly no eggs or fish either

i been vegetarian almost all my life, no eggs or fish
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I've cut out meat and full-fat dairy for health reasons too (serum LDL cholesterol was very high even after losing 1/3 of my body weight, and cutting saturated fat waaaay down works for me). I do eat fish and a couple of eggs a week. I have meat and cheese very occasionally ( every couple of months, I guess, but I find myself forgetting).

Things that I've learned were to focus on getting enough fat (think seeds, nuts, interesting oils which add flavor), and to switch out proteins for things like tempeh, tofu, beans which are minimally processed. I'm not some kind of snob about processed faux meats, but they generally don't have as much protein as you might think, so they won't help you get as much protein as you might want or feel comfortable eating. I never tried tempeh until a year ago and I really, really love its versatility as well as its nutty flavor and nice mouthfeel.

Also, think flavor - herbs, spices, oils. Vegan/vegetarian food is really easy to cook (MUCH quicker than cooking with meat) but it's at its best IMO when you really dress it up with strong flavors.

If you are still eating cheese, just watch it. I know some vegetarians who wander why they piled on pounds, but really they were over-reliant on cheese for protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years (yes, since 1974; I was 18). It was an adolescent whim gone permanent. If people ask, I usually advise not giving up meat/fish entirely unless you are very committed to it for humane or other philosophical reasons. It's harder (though not anything like impossible) to get a generous amount of protein, and you become sort of a pain to meat-eating friends who want you as a dinner guest (there are strategies for this, as well).

But, if you insist on going vegetarian, my biggest piece of advice is to change your thinking about meals from the meat-eater's "one big protein thing per meal" approach to, instead, weaving protein throughout your meals and snacks.

Put greek yogurt on your oatmeal, plus maybe some walnuts. Dress your salad with a greek yogurt or cottage-cheese-based dressing you mix up yourself (easy), maybe mix beans with it, and put some pepitas or nuts or dry-roasted soybeans on top for crunch. Puree white beans, or nuts/nut butters/seeds into sauces and soups. Figure out which veggies have relatively more protein (such as spinach, broccoli among others), and make them a regular part of your diet. Enjoy beverages that include milk or soy milk. Eat custards (pumpkin custard, yum) for dessert. Find and use relatively higher-protein breads and pastas (if you eat bread & pasta). Eat nuts, nut butter, or dry-roasted soybeans for snacks (with portion control, of course). Add chickpea flour to baked goods, or even sauces; use it to make crepes (socca).

In summary, put protein-ish bits - not even necessarily always super-high protein - in everything, rather than "one big protein".

Also, people tend to want umami flavors somewhere in their meals (this is a basic flavor, along with sweet, salty, bitter, etc. - and it's the flavor that makes meat taste rich and "meaty", more or less - hard to describe). Learn how to make your vegetarian foods have umami flavors. Some options/additions that help include soy sauce, miso (both very salty), mushrooms, kale, kombu, some toasted nuts, cheeses (especially aged ones), roasted tomatoes or browned tomato sauce/paste, browned/roasted root vegetables including onions, spinach, and more.

Background: For sure, this is just me, but I think most "fake meat" products are pretty disgusting. I prefer to eat whole foods, not many processed or prepared foods, not as a religion, but because I simply find them tastier and more satisfying. Many fake meats are highly processed, full of salt & fats, and (IMO) just don't taste very good. But one of the reasons I gave up meat is that I never liked it all that much.

If you're thinking vegetarianism is a smooth road to weight loss, think again. I gained all my excess weight, and held onto it, while vegetarian and even while quite active besides.

Feel free to friend me if you want to see what I eat; my diary is open to friends. It can be a little hard to interpret because I usually cook meals from scratch, so it's a list of ingredients - but you can always ask. I usually get 75+ gm of protein daily - not massive, but reasonably adequate (I'm 5'5", CW 139, SW 183, eating at 1500 net right now on my way to GW 125-130ish).

Good luck!
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Being vegetarian made me fat, I ate way too much dairy. Going vegan helped me slim down. I've been a vegan for a couple of years. If you're planning on transitioning to a vegan diet, feel free to add me. :)
  • linaaurelia27
    linaaurelia27 Posts: 8 Member
    I've been a pescatarian for 3 years and I'm now vegan (for ethical reasons, although it's so healthy, too!) After a few weeks of eating vegan foods and working out, I've lost considerable fat and gained muscle (I've been working out almost every day and following a lifting program). I feel amazing and am super excited to try all kinds of new vegan recipes. Feel free to add me!!
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Find some good vegetarian cookbooks and other resources to help you. When I went vegetarian more than 20 years ago, I started subscribing to Vegetarian Times magazine. That first year, I just gave up red meat, the 2nd year, poultry, and the 3rd year, seafood. I tried eating vegan years ago, but love to bake too much and it was difficult for me to make my favorite recipes modified to a vegan diet. I also love ice cream way too much!

On that note, it's very easy to eat the wrong foods when eliminating meat. I know other vegetarians (including myself) who gained weight on a vegetarian diet. I have a horrible sweet tooth and love my breads and pastas - which I tend to eat too much of in order to feel full. Keep your plate full of fruits and veggies and legumes.

I was anemic when I first stopped eating meat until I was able to figure out which foods were right for me. I do take a B-complex supplement - some vegetarians and vegans are often deficient in B12. Explore different foods for fun.....I grew up in a midwestern meat and potatoes household, but got into eating a variety of fruits and veggies when I gave up meat.

See what feels right for you. Good luck!!