Protein shakes

Options
After working out I tried them but I think they taste horrible even if they are "chocolate" but then again they said just add with water. What do you guys do? Any way to make them a little more bearable?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Add some greens and fruit. Or get your protein from other sources if you don't like shakes.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. I have Almond Breeze unsweetened for 30cal a cup and it makes a difference to water without adding calories.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are some decent tasting ones, but you'll have to figure out for yourself. Try stopping by a nutrition store and taste some. Some companies even sell tester packs.

I've used quite a few protein shakes and the best tasting one was Pure Protein, but it's not the best in other areas. Optimum Nutrition is OK. There is "About Time" protein - all natural but taste so so. I just ordered ULTIMATE NUTRITION Iso Sensation 93 for it's good reviews on labdoor.com but that thing is freaking nasty, tastes like dishwasher liquid (not that I know what that taste like) - very "chemically".
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Some just taste damn right nasty... I find that the ON 100% Double Rich Chocolate tastes horrible. I've heard good things about MTS's range of whey... but it's a little more expensive than normal.

Either add some peanut butter (everyone loves peanut butter), it's worth trying milk instead of water.
  • Celtic_Wanderer
    Celtic_Wanderer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always used skimmed milk to make the protein shakes taste better because, and I agree with you on this, with water they do taste pretty horrible. If I had high fibre cereal with milk in the morning and two protein shakes over the course of the day then that would bump up the calcium and sugars too much so now I do half milk and half water (which is just bearable) if I have two protein shakes a day or just milk if I have one protein shake a day.
  • notcrazychef
    notcrazychef Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, cinnamon, coffee shot, linseeds, 0% yoghurt, bananas, kale , strawberries any combination of those
  • sbauer933
    sbauer933 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Those are really good ideas! I want to do this as healthy as possible but water and protein is just about the worst thing in the world. I'm thinking I'll definitely try the unsweetened almond milk and penutbutter sounds so good!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yeh, most will gag you. Often it's the artificial sweetners. I ve thrown out many a tub!!! The only decent one i've found is "Now nutritions" unflavored natural whey isolate. Add some berries and a touch of Stevia - whala, it is good. :)
  • Choppyboy
    Choppyboy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sbauer933 wrote: »
    After working out I tried them but I think they taste horrible even if they are "chocolate" but then again they said just add with water. What do you guys do? Any way to make them a little more bearable?

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I find blending it in a blender with ice makes any protein powder better. Maybe try that?
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    sbauer933 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Those are really good ideas! I want to do this as healthy as possible but water and protein is just about the worst thing in the world. I'm thinking I'll definitely try the unsweetened almond milk and penutbutter sounds so good!

Here is what I drink everyday, Isopure unflavored whey protein mixed with unsweetened chocolate almond milk , a tbsp of pb2/peanut powder and stevia with some ice cubes and I use a shaker cup.
  • smokingroaches
    smokingroaches Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with my morning coffee!!!!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Some just taste damn right nasty... I find that the ON 100% Double Rich Chocolate tastes horrible. I've heard good things about MTS's range of whey... but it's a little more expensive than normal.

Either add some peanut butter (everyone loves peanut butter), it's worth trying milk instead of water.
    You're so right about the Double Rich Chocolate, but their Extreme Milk Chocolate is pretty good. Especially in milk, it's ok with just water.