Discussing how often to weigh yourself

Options
I was discussing this with someone and they told me there are two schools of thought regarding how often to weigh yourself. The first is what I go by which is every two weeks. The other school of thought says that you should weigh yourself everyday in order to learn about your natural weight fluctuations and to become more acclimated with what makes you gain and lose weight over time, with more accuracy? I have my problems with the second school of thought, but I was just wondering who does this and what kind of luck they have had with it? I don't want to be close minded to the approach if it works for people.

Replies

• ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. But I like data and seeing that yes, sometimes I just go up, is helpful to me. If I were to weigh weekly or bi-weekly and happen to be on an up day, I would probably be a lot more stressed out by weighing.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Some people like to closely monitor their weight while others take a longer term view (weekly weigh ins). Both are valid.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make any difference at all. Do whatever you want.

You certainly don't need a scale to lose weight. I lost forty pounds before I even bought one.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    The most important thing to weigh isn't me.

Weighing the food I eat so I can track calories is much more important.
  • mewickla
    mewickla Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily with the Happy Scale app for three reasons: it shows me my weight trends, predicts my rate of loss, and sets smaller "mini" goals in a visually appealing way that makes me feel more accomplished and that also help to make the "main" goal seem more attainable. Then I usually only enter my weight on MFP once or twice a week as a more general weight log.

However, this is just how I like to do it. I don't think I believe that there's only certain acceptable weighs to log, just different preferences.
  • sflory68
    sflory68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think people should do what makes them feel comfortable. I currently weigh myself every morning at the same time. With that said, I only record the weights every Sunday. I have lost 54 lbs since April on the Ketogenic diet. It was challenging at first but now I believe it might turn into a way of life!!!!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    sflory68 wrote: »
    I think people should do what makes them feel comfortable. I currently weigh myself every morning at the same time. With that said, I only record the weights every Sunday.

Spot on
  • bmakkz
    bmakkz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really like to weigh myself everyday, but it's easy to get discouraged by normal fluctuations. So what works for me is logging my weight everyday in a website that calculates the average trend of my weight. So if my weight is smaller than my averaging weight, it's a victory! Even if my weight is bigger than the day before. May sound complicated but it's amazing. Have a look: http://www.weightgrapher.com/about
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself once a week, same time, wearing the same thing. I've gained a lot of weight over the past 6 months and just got serious about losing it. I'm afraid to weight myself. So, this time, while I'm eating better, I'm not going to weigh myself. I didn't when I started. I'm going to let the looser clothes and how I feel guide me. I'll weigh myself right before Thanksgiving to help me keep on track!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The other school of thought says that you should weigh yourself everyday in order to learn about your natural weight fluctuations and to become more acclimated with what makes you gain and lose weight over time, with more accuracy?

I do this, but for the first reason (get used to natural fluctuations) and also to avoid building up getting on the scale as a big deal with emotional consequences in my own mind. It's just part of my daily morning routine, like brushing my teeth and showering.

People will have different things that work for them, but it is really important to me not to be afraid of the scale or to see it as more than a helpful tool that provides information.

As for understanding what makes you gain or lose over time, weighing daily doesn't do that, and attributing too much significance to daily fluctuations is the thing to avoid.

What I dislike (for me) about the 2 week (or even 1 week) approach is that not only does it make me place more significance on the number, but it would be so easy to get a weekly low one week and then a weekly high 2 weeks later and think you had made little or no progress when likely you did. Weighing daily gives a truer picture of the weight throughout the week.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    mewickla wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily with the Happy Scale app for three reasons: it shows me my weight trends, predicts my rate of loss, and sets smaller "mini" goals in a visually appealing way that makes me feel more accomplished and that also help to make the "main" goal seem more attainable. Then I usually only enter my weight on MFP once or twice a week as a more general weight log.

However, this is just how I like to do it. I don't think I believe that there's only certain acceptable weighs to log, just different preferences.

+1
    And like @lemurcat12 said what I dislike about the once every week or two is if your weigh in day happens to be on an up fluctuation then it's easy to get discouraged thinking you've lost nothing. With daily weighing though i think it's important to track the data to get a clear picture of where you are going.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    The other school of thought says that you should weigh yourself everyday in order to learn about your natural weight fluctuations and to become more acclimated with what makes you gain and lose weight over time, with more accuracy.

I do this ... and it works very well for me. :)

Weighing everyday makes me comfortable with all the little ups and downs. I can see patterns. There is a cause-and-effect. And overall, the trend is downward.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think people should do what they want.

That being said, I tend to wish that more women would weigh daily for 3 months or so, just to learn how their weight fluctuates over the course of their menstrual cycles. Way too many women are under-educated about how their bodies work. It is strange to me that a girl will start menstruating at 8 to 15 years old and will then seem surprised, as a 25 or 30 or 35 year old, to find out that her weight fluctuates throughout the month due to the normal hormonal shifts involved in her cycle. But then again, way too many people are embarrassed to even talk to their daughter's about their periods (I know my mom was) so I shouldn't be surprised.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself once a week, same time, wearing the same thing. I've gained a lot of weight over the past 6 months and just got serious about losing it. I'm afraid to weight myself. So, this time, while I'm eating better, I'm not going to weigh myself. I didn't when I started. I'm going to let the looser clothes and how I feel guide me. I'll weigh myself right before Thanksgiving to help me keep on track!

I'm very similar to you! Watching the scale makes me play to the scale & robs the little victories (like fitting in the WHITE jeans I hadn't worn in a year... Woot woot!) of their power. I totally get it that weight maintenance requires frequent weighing. But for weight loss I put together five 10-week sessions of meeting my calorie goals, walking 100k steps a week & doing body weight resistance training and I only weigh at the end of each 10-week segment. I want to love the process more than the results. I know my starting weight & I'm prepared this will take time. The scale doesn't really need to play such a big role for me personally.

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It just depends on the individual. I think if you're just out to see weight loss progression then every week or biweekly is ok. Weighing daily can be upsetting for some people because of the fluctuations, but if you can easily let that go then it's ok. I think it's interesting to see how my weight fluctuates after a heavy lifting workout, or if I've eaten too much salt (water weight!). It's interesting, but I don't like it. :/
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person.

If you don't understand that weight fluctuates UP and down or you freak out when the scale doesn't budge since yesterday etc then weighing less often is probably better.

But if your fine with the ups and downs then weighing more often is probably better, more accurate, more data.

I weigh once a week, I look at weightloss over the month or 3 months so daily weigh ins seem over kill to me.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like daily weigh ins. It helps me to keep on track with my eating, but I do realize that there is one week where its going to be all wacky and If I go out drinking, the next several days are going to be me shedding water weight. I only record my lowest reading. When I stray off course (most of the summer cause..camping and beer), when I start in again, I record whatever and accept the gain and start working to get lower again. Thankfully, when I stray off course, it only takes me a week to get back to my lowest again, which means I was eating more at maintenance then over indulging.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Gives me the data to calculate maintenance calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think people should do what they want.

That being said, I tend to wish that more women would weigh daily for 3 months or so, just to learn how their weight fluctuates over the course of their menstrual cycles. Way too many women are under-educated about how their bodies work. It is strange to me that a girl will start menstruating at 8 to 15 years old and will then seem surprised, as a 25 or 30 or 35 year old, to find out that her weight fluctuates throughout the month due to the normal hormonal shifts involved in her cycle. But then again, way too many people are embarrassed to even talk to their daughter's about their periods (I know my mom was) so I shouldn't be surprised.

I agree ... one of the things that has surprised me in the forums here on MFP are the number of women asking about weight fluctuations due to menstrual cycles.

Maybe it helped that my mother was a nurse, and she was happy to talk about everything. There was nothing that was TMI.

But even my husband knows ... I'll come home after work one day, he'll take one look at me and say, "Your TOM will start this weekend" ... and he's right. The clue is that I'm looking a little bit puffy, especially in my tummy area.

• gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily (unless I am too rushed or away from home). I log it every couple weeks, when I've seemed to stabilize around a new low. I like the data... I also heard a good analogy once. It's like keeping your eyes on the road ahead when your driving. It helps me see I'm headed in the right direction.