Knee strengthening help?

Options
sissiluv
sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
So I got a bike recently and it's been a couple of years since I've ridden (last bike was stolen....damn punks!). I noticed right away that it sure isn't as easy as it used to be and hills HURT like a beyotch. Likewise I have a bit of a bum knee and it was stiff and sore for an hour after just a twenty minute ride at a leisurely pace.
My seat is raised as far as it can go so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I am on a pretty high gear but I enjoy that challenge and it's easier to ride that way full stop.

So I was wondering if you guys have any knee strengthening suggestions, as I plan to add biking to my cardio days...or should I be worried?

Thanks! c:

Replies

• ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The exercises I do to strengthen my knees are squats (not over and over as in reps and sets, I squat and hold as long as I can) and leg presses. But proper form is critical to ensure you're not doing more harm than good. When it hurts, I stop. My physical therapist told me that whenever I'm standing, to make it a habit of clenching the muscles in my legs as hard as I can and relaxing them again, over and over.

It is working for me. My knee problems arise from old sports injuries, like dislocation, torn cartilage . . . .
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    ok, so by the looks of your picture, you look pretty young, so arthritis would not be my first guess. I would wonder if you have done something to injure your knee, before starting on the exercise bike. Does just standing or does walking aggravate it?

You might want to consider having the knee checked out to see if you have a possible tear anywhere, before you injure it more by attempting the bike.

Possible knee strengthening exercises would include trying to build up the supporting muscles surrounding the knee, so esp the quad muscle.

1) Try sitting on a bed with the knee/leg stretched out ahead of you. Point toe straight up and tighten up the quad (which would actually slide the kneecap up slightly and tightly), hold for a count of 10

2) , can put a stretch band around your knees, feet and knees pulled up, and open knees like a clam slowly, hold for count of 5 or 10, then close knees.

3), sitting on a chair or bed, raise leg up and hold/tighten up quad, and hold leg in the air for count of 10, then slowly lower back down.

4) Can also do the knee stretch by standing at the foot of the stair, raise leg onto stair and , by keeping back straight, lean down toward the knee, hold for 10 count, then straighten back up.

5) standing on a stair, lower heel below the stair to get that stretch, hold 10 ct, then raise back up.

6) Standing, balanced, on 1 ( bad knee) leg, to get that core support as well as stabilize the knee, hold 10 ct, then stand, repeat

7)Can also put cones or something about 8 to 10 inches tall lined up about 8 across, with enough room between them to be able to stand. Step sideways completely over each cone as you work your way down the cones and back will strengthen both side muscles to knee and supporting hip muscles.

8) Can also put the stretch band around the ankles and walk sideways, feet apart, feet together, etc, up and down the length of a room (again , this strengthens the supporting knee side muscles and the hip muscles).

9) Can also loop the stretch band over a low bedpost or something, put the stretch band around leg and knee, and then stand about 1 foot away (enough to make the stretch band be stretched out with some tension to it), then bend the knee to unstretch the band, then straighten leg again to tighten the band, hold for 10 ct, then bend knee to relax the band and knee. Repeat for 10 to 15 ct.

10) stepping up onto a thick phonebook or low stair, bring other foot up, then step back down, leading each time with the bad knee leg.

11)Same as stepping up onto block or book, one foot at a time, leading with bad knee leg to step up, bring both feet up, then step off other side, then go back over it again, back and forth, left to right and back up onto and over a approximately 4 to 6 inch high object (same side muscles and hip muscles here).

Would also want to ice the knee down after these exercises for about 10 minutes, (same as if you ride the bike- ice the knee down afterwards).

You can strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee and often get support , even if you have (as I have) -no ACL remaining ( an injury from 40 years ago), and recent surgery for torn lateral and medial meniscus, so the knee was 'shot". By building up those supporting muscles you can help the knee.

Again, probably want to check the knee out first if the pain persists to be sure not have any type of tear or injury that needs to be addressed.

Good luck!!! Hope all this info helps!:flowerforyou: