garlic scapes

smae1980
smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
So every summer my mother in law gives us tons of garlic scapes ( the green tops cut off the garlic plant that resemble large chives) and I make garlic scape pesto. This is delicious, but it's the only thing I use them for. Does anyone else have any ideas for using them? they're delicious, but very strong and I find a little goes a long way..

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,031 Member
    I've never even heard of them, but now I want some! Do they taste like garlic? Yum!
  • smae1980
    yeah, they are part of the garlic plant actually. The part that grows above ground
  • smae1980
    If you don't know anyone who grows garlic, look for them at farm markets
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    iamladybird

This is a coincidence , I planted my 1st garlic this year and was looking up tips just today when best to harvest, as some of the scapes are dying back, on my plants. By Googling I found a interesting piece..... Gourmet Garlic Gardening. It said

"Most serious growers I know do cut the scapes while they are still tender and either eat them or sell them to gourmets - they're highly prized for their delicate flavor and they're only available for a short time in the spring."

I have yet to cut any, but will give a try taste, smile: they have to be good in any green salad, potato salad, etc. and stir frys :heart:
This discussion has been closed.