What are your thoughts/opinions on these?

Options
- Definition of "moderation" (how often?)

- Artificial sweeteners (what kind?)

- Saturated fat in dairy products and daily saturated fat intake

I'm just curious to know about the various viewpoints and information anybody is willing to provide.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Moderation to me means not overdoing or under doing it on any foods, but focusing more on calorie balance and macros.

Artificial sweeteners are neither good nor bad. I eat them in moderation, just as I do real sugar.

Fat is just a macro. I need to meet that fat macro.

Welcome. :smiley:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Moderation means different things to different people. Everyone has to figure out a way of eating that works for them.

I don't use artificial sweeteners. My food is sweetened with fruits or onion. In things like cake, I use sugar.

I have to stay really low-fat, so all my dairy is fat-free. If other people eat a normal amount or even tons and tons of fat, that's their thing. If it works for them, more power to them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Thowe92 wrote: »
    The ability to eat foods/drinks you like, but being aware of portions and calories being utilized when doing so.
    Whichever you like if that's your direction for having something sweet tasting in your current eating program.
    Fat calories are 9 for every 1 gram. What's more important here is total fat intake of either due to the high calorie count. Make sure it fits into your calorie goals and macro requirements. You don't get extra points for eating more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thowe92 wrote: »

I'm just curious to know about the various viewpoints and information anybody is willing to provide.

It depends on what you refer to. There are things I consider terribly bad for myself, like drugs or tobacco, so there is no moderation there, I just do not consume these things :) For the rest, I aim for as balanced as possible. The only food ingredients I try to avoid are hydrogenated fats in general and palm oil (for environmental as well as health reasons), which unfortunately means avoiding a really big range of prepackaged products I would otherwise eat.
    I do not replace sugar/honey when baking, cooking etc. When I crave a soda, I choose one with stevia, although I am not sure stevia is more artificial than sugar.
    I do not limit fat in general, but try for unsaturated whenever there is a choice (e.g. cook everything with olive oil). My diet is naturally low in animal fats (for taste preferences), so this is not something I think about too much, I eat very little saturated fat, mainly from the occasional food including cheese.