Gym after work

Options
I work until 330am and an 8 hour shift, do you guys think i need to sleep before working out? Or is it healthy/unhealthy to workout after work? I seem to get really lazy when i sleep before working out.

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I don't usually sleep after work before a work out. Have some coffee before I leave work and head straight to the gym.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    Coffee is the cheap pre workout drink

I slam a cup and go. I quite often don't feel like going. Work can be mentally taxing and I'm just fried.

Once started the workout kind of brings clarity and life back.

Power thru the desire to go full on lazy and go get some. You will be better for it!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Your work hours are normal for you. Although I do not get off in the middle of the night, I work out after work. I say go for it. I don't know anyone who goes to bed as soon as they get off of work anyways.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I work until 330am and an 8 hour shift, do you guys think i need to sleep before working out? Or is it healthy/unhealthy to workout after work? I seem to get really lazy when i sleep before working out.

It's all about personal preference. Based on your last statement, I'd say your preference is to go after work. Go for it!

As an added bonus, the gym won't be nearly as crowded at 4 AM.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I've worked out after night shift before. It wasn't bad, but it really depends on how well I slept the previous day. I work rotating shifts so the switch back and forth can be hard some weeks. I have found that, personally, I can't go to the gym after work at the end of my 7-night stretches...I am just too sleep deprived. But I can at the beginning-middle of the week.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Do you normally go home and right to bed, or do you stay up for a few hours. If you normally stay up for a few hours, I'd say go ahead and stop at the gym on the way home. If you are exhausted and go right to bed when you get home, go to sleep and workout when you wake up.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you normally go home and right to bed, or do you stay up for a few hours. If you normally stay up for a few hours, I'd say go ahead and stop at the gym on the way home. If you are exhausted and go right to bed when you get home, go to sleep and workout when you wake up.

This makes a big difference.

When my husband works midnights (11p-7a) he sleeps from 8:30a-3:30p so his free time is during the afternoon, not right after work. Other people who work shifts like that might stay up for awhile after work and go to sleep at noon or 1p or something like that, so their "free time" is right after work instead of before work. The way you pattern your sleep is going to be a big factor in when it's better for you to exercise.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Are you awake all day before work? If so, work out then. Are you awake after work? If so, work out then. It really doesn't matter. I'm awake both before and after work, I choose to work out after work. If I went to bed right after work I'd work out "in the morning" (whenever that really was).
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I work out after work every day. I work from 7:30-4, go home, eat a banana, change and head to the gym for 45 mins to an hour. I feel SO much better
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If that's your normal schedule i'd just go after work- no one who works a regular shift does that( okay that's not true sometimes they do) but it's not really different than just going straight after work during "regular" hrs.

Just do what works for you- I wouldn't be able to do that- I'd go home go to sleep and start working on projects before work. Going right after work eliminates excuses and ways to avoid going.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i work 3pm until midnight, and - while your mileage may vary - after work in the wee hours has been perfect for me.