Calories ..

Options
Is it bad if I don't reach my exact amount of calories that I am supposed to have a day (1,420)

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question without more information.

If 1,420 is a maintenance goal, and you fall slightly short, it's not going to be a bad thing other than potentially losing weight over time. Even in that case, if you are at a healthy weight for your size, not a bad thing.

If 1,420 is based on an already aggressive weight loss goal, then falling short has greater consequences. Opinions vary on what is healthy, but many suggest any calorie deficit greater than 15-20% is getting to the extreme side.

It would also depend on exercise being involved. If you go burn a bunch of exercise calories, but still fall below your calorie goal without that factored in, then you created an even larger calorie deficit for the day.

Being that you did say "exact"... no need to be exact.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you are trying to LOSE weight
    you want to try to stay UNDER that number of 1,420.
    Not necessarily since you already have the deficit.

Personally, I try to hit my goal +/- 100 calories. It won't hurt you if you come below it occasionally, just like it won't hurt you to go over occasionally.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I didn't actually see where she said she's trying to "lose" weight....which is an important bit of information....OP may be maintaining.....
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    you are trying to LOSE weight
    you want to try to stay UNDER that number of 1,420.
    Not necessarily since you already have the deficit.

Personally, I try to hit my goal +/- 100 calories. It won't hurt you if you come below it occasionally, just like it won't hurt you to go over occasionally.

This is me too. As long as I am really close to my net calories, I am happy (although my range is closer to +/- 50)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I didn't actually see where she said she's trying to "lose" weight....
    I think it's inferred since she has a weight loss ticket saying 58 lbs to go.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Troof! I didn't peek that far...lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually see where she said she's trying to "lose" weight....which is an important bit of information....OP may be maintaining.....

That doesn't actually change the advice. You don't have to be exact, no matter what you are trying to do.

• JustMissTracy
    Options
    Truth there too!!! lol...good thing you're here to correct me, Thankyou!!