Disappointed!

Options
PinkPixiexox
PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Morning every one! :)

I seem to be posting a lot more than I probably should be - I'm 8lbs from my goal weight and I'm having a lot of 'self doubt' moments so please forgive the 'help' threads that have been popping up from me! I've reached quite a tricky stage of the process.

A little bit of background - I started a 1200 calorie plan in April 2015. This was before I was introduced to MFP (I wouldn't dream of eating that little now!) and I successfully lost around 24 lbs. I became VERY tired with following that particular plan (It was Weight Watchers, at the time) and found the wonderful TDEE method. As I had less to lose, I decided to set my calories to lose 0.5lb per week which gave me on average around 1500 calories (some calculators showed a LOT more, some less - I averaged it out). I've been losing weight at around the 0.5 rate (sometimes 0.6, sometimes 0.8) and my total weight loss is now 30 lbs.

Today I stood on the scale for my weekly weigh-in (same time, same day) and I'd gone from 127.4 to 127.2.

I was a little confused at how I'd only lost .2lbs this week as I'd changed nothing. It isn't "time of the month" and this tiny loss has never happened before. I got off the scale, set it back to 0 and tried again - 127.8. At this point, I'm getting confused. Set it to zero, tried again - 127.6. Set it zero, tried again - 128.4 - WHAT IS GOING ON! :open_mouth: Now - Part of me is thinking I need new batteries in my scale. Another part is thinking I've gained weight (which seems crazy to me)..

I know I must be in a deficit with my 1500 because I have been losing some weight. I was wondering if that figure is actually the correct amount for me? (I don't use the MFP method because the exercise calorie aspect confuses me a little).. I'm 5'2, 127.4 lbs (according to the last reading) and I have a full time office job so I'm sedentary. I work out 4 times a week mixing cardio and weight lifting. I probably burn around 250 per session with the cardio, i'm unsure about the weight training. Like I said, I have 8 lbs to lose. Am I going okay on 1500? Thank you :)

Replies

• Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think you may get better results by weighing daily because then you will see the scale go up and down each day as your body changes with water weight exc but then you will see the downward trend over time. As when you weigh once a week your weigh in may be happening on a day where your a little up so you don't see that downward trend so easily. if you don't want to commit to weighing daily then weight till next week and see what happens.

Also 1 important thing to bear in mind is when you are working out as you are you will be gaining muscle so don't focus on the scale too much just take a look at your body image or take a picture to see progress! :)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    1. Bodies are weird.
    2. Daily fluctuations can hide good progress.
    3. You're still losing
    4. It's only the first week of small loss

= don't stress & keep going :)
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am not sure if you are only worrying about your crazy scale or if you have been experiencing a stall.

It seems to me that you have been doing a great job, I would keep doing what you are doing with 1500 calories and, only if you don't lose anything in 4 weeks, try to lower them by 50/100.

About the sudden fluctuation in your scale, I would go with the first number you read (0.2 loss in a week is not bad, you know that weight loss isn't linear :wink: ). The other numbers must be wrong, your scale wanted to prank you.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've seen many wonderful, supportive, sensible, and informative posts by you on other people's threads, so what I'd like you to do is read your op pretending it's someone else, and ask what advice you would give. I truly think you already know the answer.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I've seen many wonderful, supportive, sensible, and informative posts by you on other people's threads, so what I'd like you to do is read your op pretending it's someone else, and ask what advice you would give. I truly think you already know the answer.

Best response!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the small fluctuations. You can always increase your cardio if you want to speed up the fat loss a little bit. 1500 seems to be your number. Keep going those last pounds are always the hardest to lose, but you will lose them eventually. Keep at it.

• PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Steve4239 wrote: »
    I think you may get better results by weighing daily because then you will see the scale go up and down each day as your body changes with water weight exc but then you will see the downward trend over time. As when you weigh once a week your weigh in may be happening on a day where your a little up so you don't see that downward trend so easily. if you don't want to commit to weighing daily then weight till next week and see what happens.

Also 1 important thing to bear in mind is when you are working out as you are you will be gaining muscle so don't focus on the scale too much just take a look at your body image or take a picture to see progress! :)

I actually think I will start weighing daily to record trends and so I can be aware of those fluctuations. Thank you so much for your advice :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

I would tell myself to chill out first and foremost and not to obsess too much over this scale number.
    Thank you for putting it to me like that - you've totally made me re-think the importance I'm placing on this issue. Sometimes I need a reminder to breathe and just let things 'be'.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

I would tell myself to chill out first and foremost and not to obsess too much over this scale number.
    Thank you for putting it to me like that - you've totally made me re-think the importance I'm placing on this issue. Sometimes I need a reminder to breathe and just let things 'be'.

Anytime you need me to tell you to answer your own question, I'm happy to oblige
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes, to echo others in here, I see you on these boards a lot giving helpful and friendly advice to others. I saw your other thread yesterday where you felt like your goal was still too high compared to other women your height after reading their goal weights. I think that combined with the scale issue you're having is making everything get to your head when you have obviously come so far. Just let it ride out and see what happens on the scale next week. You're going to be okay! :)<3
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a few times.
    I just weigh myself again 2 -3 days days later. (Not a lover of weighing myself daily tbh, as it can become obsessive for me).

• beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think your scales might be broken.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Calories too high. Try dropping to 1400 and see what THAT does. You don't burn a lot thru exercise.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Calories too high. Try dropping to 1400 and see what THAT does. You don't burn a lot thru exercise.

i dont think her calories are too high at all. she is doing the TDEE approach which includes all her exercise.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    Since I weigh myself nude (meaning without my glasses as well), I usually weigh myself more than once; to ensure that I saw the blurry #'s right. They're always the same, so it's most likely your scale.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're losing, you're logging is tighter now, you are doing everything you should be. Weight loss isn't linear. You need to look at the overall averages. I've bounced up 1lb for a week or so now since my last low (which I only record after two consecutive new low days). I'm not bothered, I've been eating at a deficit so I haven't gained weight, my body is just being the organic thing it is.

To the poster who says it's muscle gain, no, not in a deficit but I'm sure the OP already knows that. And to the poster saying to drop your calories after one week of lesser loss, no, not necessary.

Just keep going, relax and trust in the science!
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

I'm preparing myself for maintenance and I am at a 250cal deficit on 1500 calories. I have been losing consistently MORE than 0.5lb per week. Like I said - Some weeks I have even lost a pound. So I'm not struggling with weight loss and I burn a nice amount of calories, in my opinion..

The point of the post was the confusion over what my scales have told me today
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    You're losing, you're logging is tighter now, you are doing everything you should be. Weight loss isn't linear. You need to look at the overall averages. I've bounced up 1lb for a week or so now since my last low (which I only record after two consecutive new low days). I'm not bothered, I've been eating at a deficit so I haven't gained weight, my body is just being the organic thing it is.

To the poster who says it's muscle gain, no, not in a deficit but I'm sure the OP already knows that. And to the poster saying to drop your calories after one week of lesser loss, no, not necessary.

Just keep going, relax and trust in the science!

Thank you so much for this :)
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Pink.... My last 8pounds took me nearly as long as the first 22. It was sooooo frustrating to only see a half pound every two or three weeks at the end but I trusted in the process and eventually hit my 30 pound goal. Now in maintenance I weigh every day. I downloaded an app called Libra that shows trends (there are lots of them out there including Happy Scales if you have apple products). Love it and wish I had done that earlier. It smooths out all those pesky water weight issues and gives you a much more accurate picture than the weekly weigh in I used to do in the losing phase. Keep the faith!! You are almost there !!!!!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I think your scales might be broken.

Yup. If you're weighing on a hard surface, anyway. Batteries or new scale time, OP!