calories - exercise

Options
I am new to this, but just wondered... sometimes when I enter my exercise it takes off the calorie amount I burned from my calorie intake. It shows I still need to eat those calories I just burned off. Isn't the whole idea of exercise to burn off more, and if I replace them by eating them isn't that kind of defeating the purpose? Why eat what I just worked off? Confused......

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can eat them back, as long as you are sure they were calculated correctly, and still have the original calorie deficit given by mfp. Or, you can not eat them back and have a larger deficit. Creating a larger deficit would mean quicker weight loss, but it could also lead to a greater %loss of lbm and being tired and hungry. It's really up to you and how you feel.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    people exercise for other reasons than only weight loss

and if you are, not eating anything after a serious effort like a half marathon for example it is not advisable
  • nrp317
    nrp317 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    your calorie goal is the amount of calories you need to take for the day in order to lose the goal weight amount that you have set.
    This value doesnt consider the calories you may burn while excersising.
    Hence if you burn calories through excersise you can intake more calories and still achieve your weight loss
  • JeriMckibben
    JeriMckibben Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I really don't "have" to eat them back..but the option is there. It's not a lot of calories being burned, around 200 is all and it's only 2x a week right now. (I can't get to the gym any more than that and if I do anything at home it's just going for a short walk, nothing major, but I'm hoping to increase my workout to tone up as I lose) I was just confused because it was telling me I was too far under my daily goal. Thanks for the clarification!