What if 1200 calories is actually my maintenance #?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I lowered mine to 1000 and started losing

That is not helpful at all to the OP. 1000 calories a day is unhealthy and I bet you are eating more than you think.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

That is not helpful at all to the OP. 1000 calories a day is unhealthy and I bet you are eating more than you think.

Says who? 1000 cals is fine according to even this site. When i wasn't losing, i lowered. Now im losing 2 lbs weekly. That's healthy rate of loss.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Says who? 1000 cals is fine according to even this site. When i wasn't losing, i lowered. Now im losing 2 lbs weekly. That's healthy rate of loss.

You must be short then.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

There's very few people who are required to eat at 1000 calories to lose weight. Sub 5', post menopausal, sedentary women come to mind. If the OP isn't those three things, it's likely she can lose while eating at a higher level.
  • MarcyKirkton
    Options

You must be short then.

Not only short but old!! Lol
  • queenliz99
    Options

You must be short then.

Not only short but old!! Lol

Hey me too!! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

pretty sure it is not...and you are advocating a VLCD which is against MFP TOS....
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Short and old here too. (62, 5'1, 100-105lb)
    I lost at 1200.
    It is also my sedentary maintenance intake, however activity takes my maintenance to 1400-1450.

OP, logging everything will really help you lose at a decent intake, and even more important- set you up with a better knowledge of your portion size, and calorie requirements, when you do hit maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I lost at 1200.
    It is also my sedentary maintenance intake, however activity takes my maintenance to 1400-1450.

OP, logging everything will really help you lose at a decent intake, and even more important- set you up with a better knowledge of your portion size, and calorie requirements, when you do hit maintenance.

Cheers, h.

There's no way you're 62! you look fantastic! Oh and I don't consider 62 old. 60's are the new 50's!
  • MarcyKirkton
    Options
    cbnorris wrote: »
    I lost at 1200.

Cheers, h.

There's no way you're 62! you look fantastic! Oh and I don't consider 62 old. 60's are the new 50's!

ohhhhh...I like you!!!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm 5.2 and lose on way more
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It's not actually fine according to this site. The minimum calories that MFP will set you at is 1200.

Also 2 lbs/week is a healthy rate of loss if you have significant weight to lose (I believe >50 lbs). This OP has 38 lbs to lose according to her ticker, so 1 lb/week would be more appropriate. Also, your ticker says you have 8 lbs to lose, so 0.5 lb/week is reasonable.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    MarcyKirkton, I have just read another post of yours saying you log at 1000 expecting a 200 error, as you don't weigh your food.
    In reality your intake could be almost anything that equates to a deficit for you.

Therefore your input could be counter-productive to the OP who is being encouraged to weigh more accurately.

Cheers, h.

MFP will not set a calorie goal below 1200.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    elvensnow wrote: »
    I don't get it....maitenance hashtag???? Shouldn't it be #maitenance if you're trying to start a trending twitter topic???

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or trolling... but the "hashtag" symbol has been around longer than twitter and it can stand for "number". So she was asking about her maintenance number.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I feel like I'm getting mighty old when people today are seeing a "number sign" and thinking its a "hashtag".

I concur!!!!

Just wait until automated phone trees change their prompts to "Please enter the number and press the hashtag key."

Hahahaha!!!!!
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Helloooooo mfp'ers....glad to see the deep discussion on the hashtag Subject :)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    #cerealisthebomb
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    #yougotthatrightsista
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Cbnorris, thanks for the complement.
    I don't feel or act old; I just know I am relatively old on this site.
    The avatar was taken on my 60th, so a bit of a cheat. Have maintained about 6 yr, so the same now, but pink instead of lilac hair.

Cheers, h.

Sorry for the hijack OP, I was just being polite.