Eating Out at a BBQ Restaurant - Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It looks like they sell the meat by the half or full pound a la carte. Turkey, chicken, burnt ends, pulled pork -- you should be able to get a good posting value pretty easily. Honestly, as delicious as those sides sound, as you won't know what fat is in them (hence the deliciousness) -- if it were me, I'd just eat the hell out of the barbecue. You may get collard greens thinking "I'm having vegetables" when you could have half a pound of smoked turkey instead. And they might be the same number of calories. We have a similar BBQ joint here and that's just what I would do. Wait. Maybe I need to do that later :)
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You guys rock! Ok, I have 1,100 calories banked for tonight so I should be in good shape! Now I am getting greedy and wondering if I can eat for 900 calories and still have 200 left for a glass of wine when I get home! :smiley:

Seriously, thank you all....
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi I work at a bbq place! :) so I don't know how it works there but about 4 oz pulled pork is around 245 cals. If I get potato casserole its about 4 oz about 115 cals. Or I put salad then my pulled pork. Or I take chicken at around 300 cals.
  • SSBN631b
    SSBN631b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sonny's has a complete up-to-date listing of their whole menu as a pdf at https://api.sonnysbbq.com/app/uploads/2017/06/Sonnys-Nutritional-Info-04052017.pdf. I am going to a 4r tomorrow for the first time and was really irked that with as many outlets as they have they are not responsible enough to post their information. I am meeting others and doubt that I will be a regular.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Probably too late for your post, but I regularly eat out at a local BBQ place and stay within my range. I order grilled wings, usually naked or with minimum sauce and a side salad with a vinaigrette.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Probably too late for your post, but I regularly eat out at a local BBQ place and stay within my range. I order grilled wings, usually naked or with minimum sauce and a side salad with a vinaigrette.

Well since the post was created in 2015...
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    wow. I don't care what you're having but I'll have the tri-tip and a smokehouse salad, thanks.
  • lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The poster who resurrected this thread (SSBN631bSSBN631b, 1 post only, and on the first day of membership) probably did an Internet search for nutrition information and found MFP. I get this third right now looking for "4 Rivers Smokehouse nutrition info" on Google:
    "4 Rivers Smokehouse Nutrition Facts, 4 Rivers ... - MyFitnessPal
    www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/4-rivers-smokehouse
    4 Rivers Smokehouse nutrition facts and nutritional information. Find calories, carbs, and nutritional contents for 4 Rivers Smokehouse and over 2000000 other foods at MyFitnessPal.com."
    All it leads to is a 700 cal listing for a burnt end sandwich with the rest of the info blank (0's).

That said, my husband called me to tell me he was picking up Billy Sims BBQ last week, and I had him get me a pint of coleslaw to bulk out my Lean Cuisine. I usually use a bag of frozen green beans or broccoli, but I thought I'd have coleslaw for variety. After it was too late to cancel the order, I looked up the calorie count and found that it was about 500 calories. I put the cole slaw in a colander and rinsed out the dressing before I ate it. It still had a tangy taste, but must have had many fewer calories. For me, coleslaw is just not a splurge-worthy food.

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Well since the post was created in 2015...

haha...I didn't even notice that.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I eat out for almost every meal (may eat at home once every 2 weeks). I just estimate based on the foods that are already in MFP. I usually go with chopped brisket when doing BBQ. Everything in moderation. Eating out doesn't have to be scary, I've managed to lose 82 pounds so far eating out 15-20 times a week.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a BBQ fanatic in the house, so I have a system. BBQ chicken (I remove the skin, shred the meat, and add mustard sauce or a little BBQ sauce), collard greens or green beans (eat half a portion and skip the added meat), a sweet potato (I ask for no butter and brown sugar on the side and sprinkle a tsp of the brown sugar and a packet of stevia on the potato) or beans (ranch if available; if not I eat 1/4 of the baked beans). I skip the bread, skip the appetizers. Still a fatty, salty meal, but controllable. My husband is also a Chinese buffet, Mexican food, and Pizza fanatic, so I have systems for those type of restaurants, too. Eating an apple before you leave the house can help you avoid giving in to cravings by reducing hunger. Good luck.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'd just say to heck with it and eat whatever I wanted to and be happy. But, the next day or two afterwards I'd eat light, salads or some fruit for most meals, and probably a roughly 500 calorie dinner.. spread it out over the day so as to not be hungry for too long.

As long as my weekly goals are attained, or close to it.. not advocating eating 5000 calories in one go at a BBQ joint here, but splurging on a 1000-1500 calorie meal once in a blue moon isn't going to cause the last 50lbs to suddenly show back up tomorrow or next week.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    When I go to Wood Ranch I order the BBQ chicken breast with vegetarian black beans and asparagus or broccolli. Avoid pork ribs. Most pork is high fat and high calories. Brisket can be good with veggies on the side.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The problem with pulled chicken and turkey is that they were moist at 10am after they were done smoking them but they just keeps getting drier as the day progresses. This leads to over-saucing. I am not sure what you do at a restaurant but when I bring it home I mix light sour cream with the sauce. You can't fix dry meat but the sour cream does help add a slightly better mouth-feel without spiking the calories.