Advice on cooling down after morning workout so I can stop sweating!

Options
So, even when I shower after my morning workout, even with coolish water, I can't quite get my body temp down and I resume sweating heavily which makes changing into work clothes and putting on makeup both sketchy and difficult. I don't feel overheated coming off my workouts, just unable to cool down enough to stop sweating. I figure I can't be the only person with this problem. I am of a certain age and do have hotflashes occasionally but this is not the same thing. Advice please!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Is there a pool where you work out?
  • Staffspec
    Staffspec Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    no, sadly, but that's a great idea. There is a community pool near my house and I just might take up swimming as my morning workout.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Staffspec wrote: »
    no, sadly, but that's a great idea. There is a community pool near my house and I just might take up swimming as my morning workout.

Yay!! Love swimming!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get ya. After Spin and a shower, I'm still sweating when I go to work. I can't even cream my face, it slides right off.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Have a fan blowing on your during your work out so you don't get so overheated initially?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning and my "post sweat" faucets are awful after running.

what I have found is working reasonably well for me has been- walk around 2-3 minutes- stretch for 5-15 minutes- if I have time to do a 10 min yoga video I will.

start my coffee.
    strip down
    shower- towel off and then go get my coffee- this is enough time usually I am done officially sweating- but I'd say it easily takes me 20-30 minutes to get "Settled" if I just jump in the shower it's hopeless.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to sympathize, really, as I bake in the middle of a menopause sweat. When I'm not sweating, I'm freezing. Don't ask me if it's hot in here because I don't trust myself any more. I dress in layers starting with a shell and strip and cover up throughout the day.

A glass of cold water seems to help.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I find it is better if I actually do a cool down (low intensity, stretching, etc.) at the end of my workout rather than just heading home ASAP. However, I have not succeeded in defeating the issue and I just accept it as part of my existence lol.

I am hoping people have tips I can steal! Sorry I can’t be more helpful, but you are not alone.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't shower right after I finish a run...because I will start sweating again after the shower. The key is to wait a while before I shower to give my body a chance to cool down on it's own. Usually 15 minutes or so is enough. I run outside, and it is even worse in the summer when it's really hot and humid. So when I'm done running, I do some stretching then just sit and relax for about 15 minutes on a park bench...I check emails or surf on my phone and let the breeze cool me down. Then when I have stopped sweating, I go shower. This works perfectly for me.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

what I have found is working reasonably well for me has been- walk around 2-3 minutes- stretch for 5-15 minutes- if I have time to do a 10 min yoga video I will.

start my coffee.
    strip down
    shower- towel off and then go get my coffee- this is enough time usually I am done officially sweating- but I'd say it easily takes me 20-30 minutes to get "Settled" if I just jump in the shower it's hopeless.

I do something similar. If it jump right into the shower, I'm sweating for another hour afterwards.
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I read that having a cold shower makes u sweat more so I started having a warmer temp shower after my work out and that seems to work for me even though at that moment in time u feel u could sit in ice cold water...haha
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    I read that having a cold shower makes u sweat more so I started having a warmer temp shower after my work out and that seems to work for me even though at that moment in time u feel u could sit in ice cold water...haha

It is the same sweating for me regardless of water temp :( Glad you found something that worked for you though! :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    allow an extra 15 minutes of your workout time for a "cool down" to slowly lower your temp, like maybe walking on the treadmill or something. A shower wont cool you off, you have to lower your heartrate. also always be hydrated. I also found that staying cool during my workout helps, like having a fan blowing on me when i'm on the treadmill. but the best thing is a cool down period of time. even laying on a mat doing some yoga helps. let your breathing and heartrate slowly drop.
  • 46HealthyMe
    46HealthyMe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I try to wait a little while after workout before showering but even that doesn't always work.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this problem especially in the summer when my runs are all above 75°. I walk in the door after my run and I'm almost immediately dripping everywhere. I've found that I need to wait about a half hour before I jump in the shower and I'll use that time to make my lunch, lay out my work clothes, read my email, etc. I've found that a big glass of ice water helps to speed up the process a little, too.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I definitely have this problem especially in the summer when my runs are all above 75°. I walk in the door after my run and I'm almost immediately dripping everywhere. I've found that I need to wait about a half hour before I jump in the shower and I'll use that time to make my lunch, lay out my work clothes, read my email, etc. I've found that a big glass of ice water helps to speed up the process a little, too.

Yeah. It was 75° this morning and in the summer it's 82° - 86° before sunrise and typically 80% or higher humidity. Basically it takes time. I come back, get a cold something to drink, walk the dog about a mile, and then get a shower. It just takes time to cool off.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I try to get ready too fast. I have to take a longer shower or wait a few minutes.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Generally, the first thing I do after I work out (at the gym) is wash my hands. So, I just use cold water and run the cold water over my wrists. The skin there is thin and cools the blood stream quicker.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

start my coffee.
    strip down

I do something similar. If it jump right into the shower, I'm sweating for another hour afterwards.

Good advice. The only thing I can add is that sometimes I have to wait to drink hot coffee because I'll start sweating again. On those days, I sometimes drink a pre-coffee iced coffee.