Push ups and arm flab

Options
So I have set a new goal this month to work on strength. I don't, or maybe didn't, enjoy it but yesterday as I was doing push ups I noticed my arm flab wasn't jiggling as much! But I need more moves to keep me interested. I joined a class but sometimes I can't make it so I have to resort to making up something at the gym. What do you guys suggest for a newbie? I have been focusing on my core since my back gives me problems and it helps a lot.

Replies

• lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just over two years ago I started on push-ups. I could only do 16, so I did two sets of 16 per day. I have kept it up, adding one more push-up when it started to get easier and today I do... 52! My arms look much better. I will never have super strong arms, but I certainly have improved. I suggest you keep it up. You don't need a gym or any equipment, just the floor!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You'll get the best results following a full-body strength program. If you're at a gym, try New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you're at home and don't have equipment, try the Nerd Fitness beginner's program. Don't modify it to target your flabby areas extra. Exercises don't target fat or skin. :+1:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You'll get the best results following a full-body strength program. If you're at a gym, try New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you're at home and don't have equipment, try the Nerd Fitness beginner's program. Don't modify it to target your flabby areas extra. Exercises don't target fat or skin. :+1:

This.

• arditarose
    Options
    Less arm flab had more to do with your fat loss in general and very little to do with push ups. Finding a full body routine you like will help you maintain muscle in a deficit, so that it is there to be seen when you lose the fat. Are you interested in barbell training or no?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym and just do body weight exercises at home. The exercise that I love the most...it made a noticeable difference in my arms pretty quickly...is chair dips (not sure if this is the technical name, but you put your hands next to you on a chair or bench with your legs out in front of you and then repeatedly raise and lower your body to the floor and back up to chair height.
  • arditarose
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I don't belong to a gym and just do body weight exercises at home. The exercise that I love the most...it made a noticeable difference in my arms pretty quickly...is chair dips (not sure if this is the technical name, but you put your hands next to you on a chair or bench with your legs out in front of you and then repeatedly raise and lower your body to the floor and back up to chair height.

Great exercise for triceps.
  • jmarchante24
    jmarchante24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just over two years ago I started on push-ups. I could only do 16, so I did two sets of 16 per day. I have kept it up, adding one more push-up when it started to get easier and today I do... 52! My arms look much better. I will never have super strong arms, but I certainly have improved. I suggest you keep it up. You don't need a gym or any equipment, just the floor!

I have really big flabby arms, I have only been walking for exercise after reading your post I am going to start working on pushups to strenghen my arm muscle

• arditarose
    Options

I have really big flabby arms, I have only been walking for exercise after reading your post I am going to start working on pushups to strenghen my arm muscle

Push ups are a chest exercise.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Push ups can work multiple areas depends on where you put your hands and elbows. elbows close to the body hands at peck or mammary distance and they will work Triceps, hands out at shoulders and elbows out will work more chest. I do agree with the above work the entire body or eventually you will look silly..