Reducing bf % in normal weight obesity without exercise

Options
How would you do this if you couldn't do resistance training for medical reasons (injuries)?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Are you injured? I'm sorry :(

Did you doctor refer you to a physical therapist? That's where I'd start.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Are you injured? I'm sorry :(

Did you doctor refer you to a physical therapist? That's where I'd start.

Thanks for kind thoughts :) Yeah, I actually have a long-term relationship with my physical therapist :) I have a bunch of chronic tendon and ligament problems that I've been able to kind-of work around with bodyweight stuff until recently, but that's out for a while. Things that had improved have flared up again, and new things are present. I'm doing PT and a little biking just to keep from complete atrophy.

I've yo-yo'd a bit over the years. Time off in recent years has been due to injury. I think with every regain, my bf% has gotten worse. It's been a while since I could do anything and I am grossed out by myself, ugh.

(Last time I weighed myself, I was 135 lbs. 5'7.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? Resistance exercise that tends to be easier on the body, although that depends on the particular injuries of course. I'm hoping others who know more will jump in, but on the whole I think eating well, keeping the protein at the right levels, and keeping active in the ways you can is likely the best course.

Also, how are you measuring bf%? I can't help but wonder -- given your clothing size and weight -- if you are actually in better shape from a fat standpoint than you think.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No, I can't swim. I could do a modified breaststroke up until this week. My supraspinatus hates me. I'm doing the activity I'm cleared to do.

Measurement - estimation by online calculators, and looking in the mirror. It is a problem, just trust me on that.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    on the whole I think eating well, keeping the protein at the right levels,

Thanks.. yeah, I guess there aren't any better answers than keeping steady with those. Thanks :)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required for weight loss at all. I lost 30 pounds with no intentional exercise. Exercise is good for fitness, and will help preserve muscle mass during fat loss, but is not required for fat loss. All that is required is to eat a caloric deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Exercise is not required for weight loss at all. I lost 30 pounds with no intentional exercise. Exercise is good for fitness, and will help preserve muscle mass during fat loss, but is not required for fat loss. All that is required is to eat a caloric deficit.

This is correct but tomatoey is specifically looking to reduce body fat and maintain muscle, not just lose weight, if I am reading correctly. Not being able to do resistance exercise makes the latter half of that difficult.
  • tomatoey
    Options

How do you restrict the loss to fat when you can't do resistance training, though?
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This is correct but tomatoey is specifically looking to reduce body fat, not weight, if I am reading correctly.

Thank you, jemhh, yes, you've got it exactly. :) (I knew what you meant :) )
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Really, really sorry you have been sidelined.
    I know it won't do too much, but would isometric exercises work?
    They may not help to lower your BF% but should hold it stable while you eat at a deficit.

Sorry, best I could come up with, get well soon.

Cheers, h.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

How do you restrict the loss to fat when you can't do resistance training, though?

Keto preserves muscle, so almost all weight lost will be fat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How would you do this if you couldn't do resistance training for medical reasons (injuries)?

Just lose weight at the typical approx 70% fat - 30% FFM split and your body fat percentage will decline.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Really, really sorry you have been sidelined.
    I know it won't do too much, but would isometric exercises work?
    They may not help to lower your BF% but should hold it stable while you eat at a deficit.

Sorry, best I could come up with, get well soon.

Cheers, h.

Thank you, middehaitch :) I will try that. I appreciate your thoughts :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

I've done lower carb before... thanks for this. I'll read more about keto proper.
    yarwell wrote: »

Just lose weight at the typical approx 70% fat - 30% FFM split and your body fat percentage will decline.

Is this standard with any macro ratio?
  • yarwell
    Options

I've done lower carb before... thanks for this. I'll read more about keto proper.

It's fairly typical.

Note that composition is difficult to analyse, and that FFM includes water / glycogen and stuff that isn't muscle.

Browsing through multiple weight loss studies that split is fairly common and a meta-analysis even looked to see if ratios were significantly different to that to indicate loss (or extra preservation) of muscle mass.
  • tomatoey
    Options

It's fairly typical.

Note that composition is difficult to analyse, and that FFM includes water / glycogen and stuff that isn't muscle.

Browsing through multiple weight loss studies that split is fairly common and a meta-analysis even looked to see if ratios were significantly different to that to indicate loss (or extra preservation) of muscle mass.

Aha, ok. Thank you, yarwell.
  • yarwell
    Options
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    is swimming an option? If so, that would probably work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    No, I can't swim. I could do a modified breaststroke up until this week. My supraspinatus hates me. I'm doing the activity I'm cleared to do.

How about walking in the pool?

• tomatoey
    Options

I can live with that. I just skimmed the paper now, but it's an interesting read, Thank you. Looks like Along with activity type & duration, it's suggested metabolic differences might be a factor in variation. Will read more in depth soon, thanks.