Feeling shy in the gym.

Options
Hi guys. I recently joined a gym... Thinking this would give me complete and total help being around othe people who are working to better themselves too. There's just one problem: almost everyone I see there is so fit, so toned, and can run forever without a hiccup. Then there's me. I've always been self concious about my body. I get really nervous in the gym if someone gets on the treadmill next to me or machine in general. I start to feel really bad about myself.
Any suggestions on how to get over gym anxiety?

Replies

• Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi...keep reminding yourself that these folks are really not there to judge you.

Try to go when it is not that busy, and dress conservatively. Remember, no one is really looking at your treadmill screen, and everyone has different strategies for how much time they spend, etc.

You are there for YOU...no one else. You don't need anyone else's approval.

R

• JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes! I agree with Rhyalus. YOU ARE THERE FOR YOU! Keep your workout clothes comfortable, get a great set of tunes and just keep in mind how wonderful YOU'll feel when you're done. And hey, the 'fit ones' may have been in the same spot you are at today (and this is only temporary one!). You got this!
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I promise you that there are also folks at the gym who are like me, can't run for 2 min and have a whole mess of weight to lose. :smile:

Totally get the initial anxiety of joining a gym and feeling nervous.

A couple of things...
    - Please know that there are all kinds of people at the gym at all different levels with all kinds of different goals
    - Also keep in mind that most folks who are there to work don't pay attention to anything outside of their workout. The ones who are new and just getting into it are also probably too in their heads about what they are doing to pay attention to others. (So chances are no one is paying attention to what you are doing - so no need to be nervous or self conscious.)
    - Most gyms will offer a complimentary training session to get a new member acclimated to the gym and the equipment - ask for it. This will help you get familiar with some equipment so you can put a workout together for yourself.

Congrats for joining! Those folks with the killer bodies, they all started somewhere! Its awesome that you are starting now! And in all my years of being the 'fat girl' at the gym (I agree with Brandy, btw. You are beautiful!), I've never had anyone say anything negative to me - only words of support and encouragement!

You've got this! :)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    First of all, just looking at your profile picture you are beautiful. Second, the gym can be an intimidating place at first but honestly it's all in your mind. Most people are there to get their workout done and go home. Just focus on you because that is the only reason you are there. Good Luck hun!
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I first started barbell training, I was afraid of looking like an idiot because I had never done it before and lifting with a big, free moving barbell can be a bit scary for a newbie. I actually decided to get up and hit the gym super early for a couple days so I would be more or less undisturbed and could practice the movements first. Highly recommend. After awhile, you won't care who is there. If you are ever self-conscious, realize that everybody is way too busy with their workout to notice more than the fact that you are just there (and maybe not even that judging the amount of people who bump into me by accident every day!). They aren't counting your reps, your sets, tracking the weights you use....they are in la la land with their headphones in, busting their butts and trying to get their workout over with.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Even those fit, toned, athletic people had a first day at the gym.
    No one will judge you.
    People for the most part are too wrapped up in what they're doing.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Most of the folks there are doing their own thing. It's the occasional mouthy jerk that can ruin your day. Just gotta learn to ignore them.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You're a lot more likely to find a troll on this website than you are at a gym. Just go and do your thing, if anyone's watching then it's their vice and not yours.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like so that much anymore, but sometimes when I do a light workout I'll randomly wonder if people think I'm slacking. Then I remind myself that other people know nothing about me, and then I think of reasons why I might be going slow. For all they know I'm a super athlete coming back after an injury! Seriously, in any situation you can never really know what other people are thinking, especially not complete strangers, so whenever you catch someone looking at you, come up with a super positive reason why they might be looking at you - because that reason's just as likely to be accurate as any negative one you come up with!
  • CoffeeInTheMtns
    CoffeeInTheMtns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Always feel like everyone is thinking I'm gross and shouldn't be in a gym lol.
    But I know it's just me and they are not there to judge others. We are all going there to better our health. I just joined today so anyone is welcome to add me and help me stay motivated!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Push through the feels. It'll get better.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Everyone's journey is different, they all have different goals, different starts etc. I know I don't watch or judge anyone else at my gym - I have even started not caring if anyone is around when I do my 100's which is a fabulous way to look like an overturned turtle!
    Give it time, you will be fine. I still don't like having the treadmill beside me in use, but that's more of a personal space issue.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Just do your thing. It's for yourself and you're doing your body good. Be like Pheobe!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HuqNdQJSTY
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the only time people pay attention is when you are sitting around hogging the machines/equipment.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that, and even now I have days when I feel very self conscious. Wear your headphones, have some pumping music, and go for it. Wear clothes you feel comfortable in. Try not to judge your activity to the person next to you - the only person you have to complete against is yourself.
    Now I don't wear my glasses in the gym so I can't see people!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Even those fit, toned, athletic people had a first day at the gym.
    No one will judge you.
    People for the most part are too wrapped up in what they're doing.

This. If I am looking at you I'm probably either gazing into middle distance or I'm trying to see what brand your tights are because I like them.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    sbauer933 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I recently joined a gym... Thinking this would give me complete and total help being around othe people who are working to better themselves too. There's just one problem: almost everyone I see there is so fit, so toned, and can run forever without a hiccup. Then there's me. I've always been self concious about my body. I get really nervous in the gym if someone gets on the treadmill next to me or machine in general. I start to feel really bad about myself.
    Any suggestions on how to get over gym anxiety?

People you see in the gym (toned, bulky) did not come out of the birth canal like that. :-)
    Anyone who has a great body, understand how much effort it takes to get there and majority of them do not judge others. Believe me, it is just self consciousness.
  • bettypeyton1
    bettypeyton1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When you look around, smile. It will catch on and you will be amazed at the folks who might smile back. Don't hide or be shy. You are there for you. Now smile.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Make friends with someone. Most people like to talk about what they are doing, so just ask...don't be afraid to just say, "hey, I'm a beginner and I really like how toned you look...can you show me a few things to get me started?" The personal trainers at my gym are fabulous and are happy to give a few pointers even if you're not signed up on a program. There's usually lots of different classes you can try, too, and that's a great way to make friends. Ask at the front desk about a good class for a beginner. Have fun, and laugh at yourself if you make a mistake in class...everybody was a beginner once. A class is a great way to make a commitment to work out, too. If you really feel uncomfortable at first, just ride the stationary bike at a low level for a while & that way you can sit there (without getting winded) and scout things out. I bet you will start to notice that not everyone is really a hardbody, there are a lot of regular folks doing moderate workouts. One of the really fit older guys at my gym is really nice and very sociable with everyone. Come to find out he used to weigh about 350. So ya never know.