1560 cals?

Options
MFP is telling me I should consume 1560 cals a day, but my current height and weight are 5'4, 295. That seems really low, and I know I will probably be very hungry. Any recommendation of what a good number is?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Set your weekly loss goal to 1 or 1.5 pounds per week, you will get more calories to eat.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    It's just a recommendation, you can set it to 2000 if you think you'll be hungry. But you have to consider the calories in and out. If you burn 500 it's gonna add those 500 to your 1500 daily amount, so it's going to tell you to consume 2000 anyway.
  • mspink7022
    mspink7022 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, I did 1.5 and it changed to 1810. That seems more reasonable. Thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mspink702 wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I did 1.5 and it changed to 1810. That seems more reasonable. Thanks!

No reason to kill yourself!! Another thing, get a food scale and weigh everything now. When you get to your goal weight you will have a very good idea of calories in foods. The person who eats the most and still loses is the winner.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Set your weekly loss goal to 1 or 1.5 pounds per week, you will get more calories to eat.

This is the best option. Reduce the aggressiveness of your weight loss goal. Ease into a new way of eating, it will help promote more long term success.

You could also do the TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) method. This is when you calculate how many calories you need for basic functions, basic activity + the amount (time) of exercise you plan to do each week. Then you eat at that calorie level everyday, but you have to keep the exercise activity level consistent as well to stay in a deficit.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I found that after the first couple of weeks - during which my calorie allowance seemed difficult to stay within and not be hungry - my body eventually adjusted, I got better at making food choices, and it became a lot easier. I manually lowered my calorie goal at that point, and again a little later. And then as you lose, MFP will lower it for you, too.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    mspink702 wrote: »

No reason to kill yourself!! Another thing, get a food scale and weigh everything now. When you get to your goal weight you will have a very good idea of calories in foods. The person who eats the most and still loses is the winner.

When I think of all the times I starved myself on 1200 calories and worked out like a nut only to lose and gain the same 3 lbs. Now I'm eating, and though I try and make good choices, I'm never starving, and the weight is coming off. Wish I had tried MFP a long time ago.
  • mspink7022
    mspink7022 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I have my food scale already ;) My tdee is 2682. If I am eating between 1800-2000 as suggested by MFP that will be a deficit of 6-800 cals per day. This means I should lose 5-6lbs per month. Does this sound accurate?
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sure does:) And if you can incorporate more activity into your day then that will increase the deficit. Even if you don't do structured exercise, just more movement makes a huge difference.