Does Using the 21 Day Fix Containers Work ?

I'm not talking about the ENTIRE thing... Only the containers.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I'm not talking about the ENTIRE thing... Only the containers.

no! LOL
  • 4whirlygigs
    4whirlygigs Posts: 11 Member
    A food scale would work better.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Yes, they certainly work if the choices are using the containers or having no way to determine portion sizes.

A food scale is a much better choice. However, some people just won't use a food scale for various reasons. For them, the containers are better than nothing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I can't imagine that containers would work as well as a food scale... and you could try to stuff scrambled eggs or chicken breast or prime rib in the protein one and wouldn't get the same calorie count at all... so I guess you'd have to follow the food plan as well, whatever that is, but I've always found that Beachbody food plans were just not enough food... Soooooo... I don't see the point.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Buy a food scale and your own containers. It will be cheaper and better quality
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Expensive tupperware. I'd save my money and buy a food scale and some cheaper tupperware.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    If I used those I would have the most densely packed chocolate cake ever. I'd probably smash it down so far in my attempt to get more in that it would spontaneously create a black hole. And then everyone is doomed.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    A coworker uses the containers and they worked for her so I could totally see how they could be beneficial. I'm not entirely sure how they work but isn't it color coded as to protein, fruit, grain type food and what container they go in? I do think you could find a cheaper alternative by purchasing similar plastic ware. I have even seen those zip lock plastic reusable type bags that are already pre measured for cheap at Costco. Like someone else said a food scale is not for everyone.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It would work to some extent (better than eating mindlessly), but they're expensive, and what a mess push food into them and then to clean up. Compared to scales, very inaccurate. Compared with just counting calories, very rigid. If you have an eating disorder... I don't know if colored containers are intrinsically better than weighing.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Sure it would, it's just portion control. You could use measuring cups (like I do) or Glad Tupperware. Reposting from another thread:

Ha, this is the first I've heard of it. Just found a good review and breakdown of the portions in those tubs, and the target calories suggested.

From that review:

First, they have you calculate your target calorie goal using their formula:
    Your Weight (in Pounds) times 11, subtract 350 from that number = Your calorie goal.

The acceptable range for your end number is 1200 to 2300. In other words, if you get less than 1200, round it up to 1200. If you get more than 2300, round down to 2300. This ensures your plan is both safe and effective.

That is an extremely low target! 1223 for me, according to that site (I'm 5'7. That number just makes me laugh).

So with a very low calorie diet, plus daily cardio workouts - I'd be netting ~1000 calories, with the exercise - for sure you're going to drop weight (some fat, probably lots of lean mass).

Now, if you use a sensible calorie target instead of this near-starvation goal, the portion and nutrition part isn't that bad and might help you make better choices.

From that link again:

Green – Vegetable container: 1 & ¼ Cups
    Purple – Fruit container: 1 & ¼ Cups
    Red – Protein container: ¾ Cups
    Yellow – Starches & Carbohydrates container: ½ Cup
    Blue – Healthy Fats (Cheese, Nuts, Avocado) container: ¼ Cup
    Orange (2x) – Seeds, Dressings and Oils container: 2 Tablespoons (Each)

How Much Should I Eat of Each Container?

Now that you have your calorie goal identified, you’ll know how much of each container to eat each day. Find your calorie range below to see how much of each you’re allowed:

1200-1499 Calories: 3 Greens, 2 Purples, 4 Reds, 2 Yellows, 1 Blue, 1 Orange
    1500-1799 Calories: 4 Greens, 3 Purples, 4 Reds, 3 Yellows, 1 Blue, 1 Orange
    1800-2099 Calories: 5 Greens, 3 Purples, 5 Reds, 4 Yellows, 1 Blue, 1 Orange
    2100-2300 Calories: 6 Greens, 4 Purples, 6 Reds, 5 Yellows, 1 Blue, 1 Orange

You could do the same thing with Ziploc containers (which I have and love). They mark off measurements on the side. Put coloured stickers on them and you're good to go.

But that calorie target is ridiculous.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Oh but they look so much more fun than a food scale...
  • kommodevaran
    Oh but they look so much more fun than a food scale...

Agree, happy colors - I just love plastic boxes, lunch boxes, all kinds of boxes! But I prefer to do portion control by weight :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

All Beachbody programs pretty much require you to be hungry. That's how they can boast about their 'results' I guess. I've never followed their food plan.

It would require me to eat 1200 calories too... I can't even stick to 1800 nowadays because I'm so hungry, so NOPE.
  • Azuriaz
    edited September 2015
    Francl27 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

All Beachbody programs pretty much require you to be hungry. That's how they can boast about their 'results' I guess. I've never followed their food plan.

It would require me to eat 1200 calories too... I can't even stick to 1800 nowadays because I'm so hungry, so NOPE.

Read some of the stories by models who do before and after shots for weight loss companies for some serious hungry tales. Such false advertising, too!

But I was under the understanding there was a container for basically desserts, if not, that's probably a good thing. Maybe they were going to put one in and realized people would do exactly as I would do - cram chocolate into that tiny bit of plastic like there's no tomorrow!
  • omatga
    omatga Posts: 56 Member
    We each have our own success stories! How about we celebrate that instead of looking for something negative? Obviously the containers work for many people but you can't please em all. It's not an expensive investment and for people who struggle with knowing what to eat and how much of what to eat, it simplifies it greatly. Beachbody is the solution that worked for me :) Now I'm off to go teach my Insanity class - another fabulous BB product! Good luck with your goals!! You got this!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    omatga wrote: »
    We each have our own success stories! How about we celebrate that instead of looking for something negative? Obviously the containers work for many people but you can't please em all. It's not an expensive investment and for people who struggle with knowing what to eat and how much of what to eat, it simplifies it greatly. Beachbody is the solution that worked for me :) Now I'm off to go teach my Insanity class - another fabulous BB product! Good luck with your goals!! You got this!

Beachbody is a scam! SMH
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member

We are trying to help the OP to follow a more effective method (weighing food) that is cheaper and achieve better results that " whatever fad diet " is selling.

We are all here to improve our health. If we can do it with a free app like MFP and spending just a few $ on a food scale and inexpensive containers. Why not ?
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • kommodevaran

But it doesn't make any sense. A food scale for weighing is 15-20 dollars, MFP is free, and if you need help with what and how much to eat to hit your calorie and macro goals, you can look at the MyPlate - I can use it and I'm in Europe :s
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2015
    The question was simple " DOES IT WORK? Yes it does.. Why does everything get so complicated he or she didn't ask for financial advice or help..
  • Azuriaz
    The question was simple " DOES IT WORK? Yes it does.. Why does everything get so complicated he or she didn't ask for financial advice or help..

People also pointed out a scale is more accurate.

And there is nothing wrong with trying to help someone save money!

Thrift stores, people. Thrift stores.

Now are the big department stores going to come complain about my post? No, they won't.