Help with Digtial Food scale.

Options
So I just got a new food scale. It's really great but I am getting confused as to cups vs. grams. Lets take cereal of example, on the back of the package it says a serving size is 1 cup (17g). I wanted to have 2 servings. So being curious, I put 34 grams on the food scale and then took that and poured it into a measuring cup. I didn't get two cups though, I got 2 1/2 cups. So my question is this. I want to know the exact calories I am consuming so which should I go by, the scale or the cups and also which should I be going by for similar items when the package lists both the cup size and the gram info? I hope this makes sense! I know it should be a simple question and feel silly asking.

Replies

• 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The weight is the accurate one. Cups are approximate and you've just described why!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The scale weight in grams. I would never measure anything by cup or spoon unless it was liquid.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question at all. Go by grams. It's much more exacting.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weight in grams.

I never use measuring cups for anything but liquids.
  • ckfox95
    ckfox95 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Now I can feel much more confident in my intake and counting.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Weighing (in grams) will give you a better idea of how many calories your food contains. When you can, use the grams.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Measure every thing in grams - 'Cup' measurements are wildly inaccurate!

Good move on buying the food scale :D
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You just proved why the scale is so much better than measuring cups if you want any sort of accuracy.