eating back exercise calories?

Options
Is it OK to eat back your exercise calories?

I usually dont eat back my exercise calories, but on occasion I do eat about half of them back.

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Mfp is designed so that you should eat back your exercise calories. Due to the calories most exercise burn calculators spit out usually being overestimated, it's usually recommended to only eat 50-75% of them.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You'll have to experiment for yourself.

The most active posters here will suggest you monitor your results for four to six weeks before making calorie changes.

For me, eating back most to all of my activity/exercise calories hasn't stalled my loss. For you, you may have similar results or you may need to eat less than all your exercise calories.

Generally rule of thumb seems to be "start by eating back half your exercise calories, then readjust to eat more/less exercise calories after monitoring your weight changes over 4-6 weeks"
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If everything is done perfectly, you can technically eat back all your exercise calories and still get to your goal weight. People usually recommend you don't eat back all your exercise calories to avoid overeating due to logging errors. People who don't weigh their food are, more often than not, underestimating their portions. This includes people who use scoops, cups, tablespoons and other measures to determine their calorie intake. Moreover, many people overestimate their calorie burn from exercise and most pedometers tend to overestimate calorie burn as well. Due to this, eating back all your exercise calories might slow down your weight loss. Eating back a partial amount of your exercise calories is probably a good starting step. See if you lose weight at your goal rate. If your weight loss is under your goal, eat less of your exercise calories. If your weight loss rate is above your goal, eat more of your exercise calories. As long as you have a healthy weight loss goal, this process should work fine for you.