When do you past on your Clothes that are Too BIG?

Options
so I have a lot of clothes that are TOO BIG!! Yay
When do you give them away?
Do you hold on to them?

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I am purging my closet every 20 lbs consciously of too-large clothes. As Goodwill gives a 25% discount on your next purchase with any donation, I then use the money to buy some new-to-me stuff that fits right.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When they are too big I
    1 ask if my seemstress can take them in a size
    2 give them a way
    3 throw them out
    It is important that I allow room in my life and my closet for the new and beautiful experiences coming my way.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I haven't passed on mine yet. I'm planning on giving them to charity, but I haven't done it yet. They've been in a box in the wardrobe now for almost a year.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Once I grew out of them I got rid of them straight away - donated to charity. Suits. Pants. Barely worn stuff I bought for summer of 2014 I was tossing out by January 2015.

The only exception: I've saved one pair of pants for comparison photos, and some T-shirts for doing yard work.

Some smaller clothes that I'd given up hope of ever wearing again now fit me, and in some cases, those are too big too. It's a good problem to have.

I'm never going back. No need to keep clothes that will never fit me again around.
  • elos18
    elos18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've kept the pair of jeans that I wore at my largest weight. They fall off me now but it's nice to see how far I've come when I'm lacking in motivation :) everything else is either binned or ebay'd depending on the condition!
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have some pieces that I'd like to have tailored if I can, so I'm holding onto them for now. The rest get donated as soon as I start looking frumpy when I wear them.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I think I am afraid for letting go. I am NOT going back to that size or the size I am now. I will give them away Today!!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I keep some big shirts for lounging around at home. The rest, I give away, or throw out. Depends on how worn they are.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i give them away as soon as i am consistently down a size.

tops have a little more leeway, but when they start looking too baggy, or are making me look bigger than i am, they go too
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile at first. My friends were bugging me to get better fitting clothes after I lost the first 30. Now I take at least 1 bag a month to goodwill. When I buy something 'new' (usu from GW) I try to remove a similar item that is too big. I'm now ready to start giving away my replacement clothes! I've home from 3x to 16 in pants and 2-3x to M/L in tops.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I am purging my closet every 20 lbs consciously of too-large clothes. As Goodwill gives a 25% discount on your next purchase with any donation, I then use the money to buy some new-to-me stuff that fits right.

Where are you? Goodwill in my area never gives a discount for goods donated!
  • atypicalsmith
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I buy my "fat clothes" at GW, but then I give them away to a local church (not mine) that gives a free dinner once a week and has clothes racks for the participants to pick out donated clothes. I have been shopping in my closet, and am almost on the next size range. Then I have plenty of clothes in my storage shed to go through about twenty pounds from now. I will never, NEVER, NEVER! ever get as big as I have gotten, so there is absolutely not a reason in the world to keep clothes that are too big for me. Besides, they all made me look like a homeless man as there was no style whatsoever.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm giving a lot to Goodwill. Also maybe giving some to my sort of mother-in-law if she wants them.

I'm now the same size as another coworker near my age, hopefully in another 2-3 months I'll be too big for some of my current clothes and be able to pass them on.

I can't wait to have a whole closet of clothes that are too big!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Where are you? Goodwill in my area never gives a discount for goods donated!

Minnesota. Perhaps they just really need the clothes, I don't know. The coupon is printed on the receipt for donations.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Donate to Goodwills. You'll also get some money that you can spend from doing it too.

alter if you really love the piece

throw away if holes/cant see anyone else wanting
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I struggle with getting rid of clothes that don't fit. Most of my wardrobe is too small currently - I lost about 30kg a few years back and had a big clean out. THEN I had my twins, and I am still about 15+kg away from fitting my favourite clothing. I have a handful of casual fat clothes that get rotated endlessly, and I only get rid of them when they are beyond being worn at all.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just posted my clothes on my local community Facebook free page. Gone within 5 mins. I hope I can pick up some for me on there soon!!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    To me, getting right of my fat clothes is a tribute to my commitment to continue losing weight!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Is that all good wills?