Really struggling to lose those last few pounds!

Options
I just keep maintaining no matter how much more I exercise and am strict with my diet. My weight just doesn't seem to be budging at all but I know it's possible because I was lighter this time last year!

What can I do?

Please add me if you're in the same situation.. Would be good support too :)

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't matter. Work on reducing body fat.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You still have to be in a deficit. Since you lost weight your TDEE has changed. Figure out your new TDEE and start with a smaller deficit of 250 calories. Those last few pounds are always the hardest to lose.
  • anitaghigi
    anitaghigi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dhimaan is exactly right. This should help you achieve your goal.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Can you try varying the exercise routine? I have found with my own body that if I get into too much of a routine, exercise-wise, I must figure out a way to do the routine without expending as many calories. What helps me most is to shake it up......use different muscles.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Can you try varying the exercise routine? I have found with my own body that if I get into too much of a routine, exercise-wise, I must figure out a way to do the routine without expending as many calories. What helps me most is to shake it up......use different muscles.

No to this. OP you need to tighten up your logging. Calorie deficit is for weight loss and exercise is health and well being. Since OP is not losing her logging is suspect. She is eating more than she thinks.
  • pfresh88
    pfresh88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What you're saying is really too broad to give you an accurate answer. I would need to know what type of exercise you are doing, what's your maintenance calories, how many calories you are eating. Are you accurately tracking your calories, what are your macros set at?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm also struggling with the last few pounds! All I can say is - really tighten up your logging and make sure all your portion sizes are being weighed with an electronic food scale. Then - be patient. We'll get there!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing and measuring your food correctly, and have recalculated your calorie intake so that it is appropriate for your weight now, the next thing to look at is how many of your exercise calories you are eating back.
    As long as you don't drop below 1200 cal on a regular basis, cut your exercise calorie feed back by 25% and see if that will make a difference.
    If you are doing TDEE recalculate it too.

If you are close to your goal it will come off very slow. Mine was less than .5 lb per week for the last 10 lb, but it did eventually come off.
    Thank goodness for digital scales, otherwise I would have sworn the scale wasn't moving.

Cheers, h.
  • mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I stopped logging food because I just didn't have the time.
    I am doing the 5:2 diet and exercising 4/5 times a week. I'm not logging because in eating the exact same things every day which I know what they amount to in calories. I eat 500 calories two days a week and 1100 the other 5 days a week.

I've tried doing different exercise like more weights, different cardio but nothing is doing it. W

Would my TDEE really have changed that much if I've only lost 6kg/a stone already?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Yup, it is good to re calculate every 5-10 lb.
    Your intake is a little low, MFP does not recommend under 1200 cal per day/ 8400 cal per week.
    (Dr supervision/medical reason excluded)

Even if you are no longer logging, do 2-3 days of weighing and logging, just to check your portion sizes.
    Mine can slowly grow over time so I do a re- portion a couple of times a year.
    If you are stuck it would be well worth taking the time to do it.

If your exercise time and/or intensity have changed make sure you change that stat when you redo your TDEE.

Cheers, h.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It took me a really long time to lose those last few pounds (more time than it took to lose the first 80%). I just found a new focus, kept doing what I was doing, and eventually I got on the scale and realized I met my goal. Then I had to get to work on reversing the losing.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    mbanks123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I stopped logging food because I just didn't have the time.
    I am doing the 5:2 diet and exercising 4/5 times a week. I'm not logging because in eating the exact same things every day which I know what they amount to in calories. I eat 500 calories two days a week and 1100 the other 5 days a week.

I've tried doing different exercise like more weights, different cardio but nothing is doing it. W

Would my TDEE really have changed that much if I've only lost 6kg/a stone already?

Not logging might be the problem, even if you eat the same things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

Also 1100 for 5 days and only 500 for the rest is awefully low even if the numbers are correct.
  • mbanks123
    Options
    That's a really good video. Thanks Steven
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Probably eating too much, but if you're seriously aiming for 500 2 days a week and 1100 the rest of the time, please don't change anything because it's not healthy at all to eat so little.
  • mbanks123
    Options
    Maybe you're right :) I'd never under eat though. I have to concentrate too much to ever starve my self! And I like food too much
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a progressive lifting program?
  • mbanks123
    Options
    Thats a great post auddii. I bought scales today that measures body fat % and I think I'm going to focus my goals on that rather than weight loss. I have weighed 5 kg less before but that was when I was younger and even then I wasn't happy with my body. Maybe what I really need is just to tone up rather than trying to lose fat in places I don't want it.

Thanks for all your comments everyone :)