Quest bar old/new formula taste test (Chocolate Brownie)

Options
Chocolate Brownie is my current favorite flavor. I have a box each of the old and new recipes so I put them to a side-by-side test.

In terms of the nutritional facts, the only big change is the new one has 15g of fiber vs 19g in the old bar. Calories are identical, 170. Protein for both is 20g. The new formula removes the isomalto fiber and adds the soluble corn fiber and Stevia.

The look, texture, and moistness of both bars is nearly identical. There's no way I could look at only one bar and know which one it is. And there's no difference in stickiness. Allegedly, the new ingredient makes it easier to get out of the wrapper but the chocolate brownie never had this problem in my experience (4 or 5 boxes of the old stuff). The Double Chocolate Chunk bar was another story. That was nearly impossible to remove. I think it was easier to eat the wrapper.

So it all comes down to flavor. I prefer the old formula but not by a huge margin.

The new one has a stronger, sweeter flavor, more like an actual brownie but also has a longer, unpleasant aftertaste (which vanishes the moment I eat or drink anything else). Maybe the aftertaste is because of the Stevia. It's also a new ingredient for this bar.

The old formula has a subtle flavor, more cocoa-ey and not as sweet. After I take a bite, several seconds elapse before I taste anything.

Honestly, I don't think the ingredient switch is a showstopper. At least not for the Chocolate Brownie.

I've had the Smores and Chocolate Chunk Mint which used the corn fiber ingredient from the start. I don't like the Smores flavor at all (it's dry and grainy) but the Mint one is pretty good. I'll have to try the Double Chocolate Chunk, my previous favorite, when I can find one with the new formula.

Replies

• 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'm trying to decide whether to buy these anymore and this helps.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I never liked the chocolate brownie, it was always boring and too hard for me. I think for me there is a VERY noticeable difference in the white chocolate raspberry (my favorite) and the cinnamon roll. I compared the new to old outside the package and you can tell the difference. Also the new bars are more "spenda" tasting sweet and artificial sweet. I love the taste of stevia, so I liked those flavors. Now they have sucralose in them which I hate the taste of. Also I taste a gritty/floury/corny taste to them now which makes me nauseous and I hate how much more "dense" and substantial they are if that makes sense. I liked them before they added the xanthum gum thickener.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This will sound strange but in a way I'm glad that Quest bars are *less* tasty than before. Swear to god...those Double Chocolate Chunk were out of this world. After dinner I would have one (or 1/2) instead of a cookie or something.

I've also had Combat Crunch (the peanut butter flavor). Those are pretty good too, but I don't like the chocolate coating. It melts the instant I touch it and is messy as hell. I have to eat it by carefully holding the wrapper. I'd like to see a version without the coating, and probably fewer calories too.