No Added Sugar! Are you on board??

Options
Hi, I am a new/returning member to mfp. I am a 36 year old, mom of 2 girls, overweight and scared that I may be pre diabetic. After consulting with my doc, and doing some research, I have started to change the way I eat by not drinking(as much), cutting all added sugar and maintaining a food diary. I am looking for friends that would be willing to take this challenge/change of lifestyle with me. Resources I found: Fat Chance, Fat Chance Cookbook, & YouTube video The Bitter Truth all by Dr. Lustig, A Year of No Sugar by Eve Schaub, and That Sugar Movie. I would love to hear from anyone that this has or has not worked for.
I am reading all labels and do not consume any food with any added sugar- and I mean any! nothing organic, fruit juice concentrate, maple syrup, cane juice, honey, dextrose, sucralose, the list goes on(56 names of sugar out there!!)
Any way, off my soapbox(or should I say sugar box), I would love to connect with people that are staring down the diabetes pipe line, are ready to change the way they eat, supportive, real and make mistakes, honest, humble and humorous!
Thanks for reading my rant! Hope to hear from you!!

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Nope, not on board. Dr. Lustig is a great pediatric endocrinologist but a rather poor epidemiologist.
    If you're worried about diabetes, body fat lost will usually trump any other consideration in terms of improving the condition than any particular diet if said diet doesn't cause as much weight losss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    All that stuff you have read and watched is so full of misinformation. Eating in a calorie deficit and add a little exercise for health and well being is all you need. What you are planning is not sustainable and devoid of happiness.