What does this mean??

Options
Hi All

I've just inputted my details on the TDEE Calculator on the iifym.com website and the results were:

Your BMR is: 1420 calories per day
Your TDEE is : 1794 calories per day

What does the above actually mean?

Thanks, Kel

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    BMR is what you need to exist--comatose in bed. TDEE is what you need to do your daily movements, and excersising, if you plugged that in. B)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    BMR = What your body needs to survive if you were, say, in a coma.

But since you're not, your TDEE (total daily expenditure) is 1794. TDEE is the calories you need to maintain your weight with the activity level you entered. To lose weight, you'd take your deficit off of that number. Most people set it at TDEE - 15%, so for you, that would be 1524 calories. Your activity and exercise would be included in that number already, so you eat that amount, everyday.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    BMR is how much your body uses doing nothing but living. So, if you laid in bed all day, that's how many calories you'd need to eat to maintain your weight.

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure - how many calories you actually use during the day including all your exercise and everything else. TDEE is an average assuming that you will actually do all the exercise you say you will do.

Keep in mind that myfitnesspal uses a different calculation, (called NEET, I think) that is your BMR plus daily activities but not exercise. That is why it is usually lower than TDEE and why you get to eat back your exercise calories (be cautious, though, because many people find those to be overestimated)
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    So instead of having the 1200 calorie goal that MFP gives me, could I just eat the 1524 everyday but of course dont log my exercise - would that work?

Thanks for explaining this to me!!

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    So instead of having the 1200 calorie goal that MFP gives me, could I just eat the 1524 everyday but of course dont log my exercise - would that work?

Since figuring out TDEE isn't an exact science, try it this way, and after 2 weeks if you haven't lost anything, cut back 100 calories---1424. Hopefully the 1524 will work. Log everything acurately, and make sure you're weighing with a digital scale. Best. B)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    BMR = base metabolic rate
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »

Yes, because your exercise is already accounted for.