Weighing meat with bones, help!

Options
So I'm making BBQ spare rib tips and I'm completely lost on how to weigh this one. I entered it into my recipe all raw by weight, but there's tons of bones, so the weight is off. Meat label says 220 calories per 4 oz, but idk how to weigh that out. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    If you have entered it as whole and raw when you have finished eating the meat off the bones put them back on your scale and minus the figure the bones come to from the original weight.....Does that make sense??!!

Anyway, this is what we do.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you have entered it as whole and raw when you have finished eating the meat off the bones put them back on your scale and minus the figure the bones come to from the original weight.....Does that make sense??!!

Anyway, this is what we do.

That might get me pretty close. I was concerned about the bones being lighter after cooking, though. This is making my brain hurt. Lol.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Ha ha no worries......I really don't think there would be any appreciable difference in weight between the two...even with cooking.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll do that. Thank you!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    This also works with fruits like apples, bananas, oranges etc.
  • sassysisterjd
    sassysisterjd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above who suggested weighing the bones and whatever else is inedible after you are finished. We had these for dinner last night and the bones accounted for roughly a third of the weight of my portion! :smile:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You could always de-bone before serving and weigh the portion you will eat, if you don't want to mess around with weighing bones after a meal as well.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I debone before eating... makes it much simpler. Especially chicken legs. :)
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    You could always de-bone before serving and weigh the portion you will eat, if you don't want to mess around with weighing bones after a meal as well.

Thats like eating a slice of pizza with a knife and fork. Its just not the same if you dont eat the meat right off the bone like cave men/women. Do you make corn on the cob and cut the corn off the cob too?

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »

Thats like eating a slice of pizza with a knife and fork. Its just not the same if you dont eat the meat right off the bone like cave men/women. Do you make corn on the cob and cut the corn off the cob too?

Believe it or not, I do! I don't particularly enjoy messy foods, I never have.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »

Believe it or not, I do! I don't particularly enjoy messy foods, I never have.

Oh i believe it. Its a shame, really.