Raw vegan - perfect way to regain Heath

Options
13»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    It wouldn't work for me. It would be too hard to get protein.
    sorry that is a myth about protein :) we vegans here that all the time.

Unfortunately, it is true. It is very important that vegans eat enough nuts, legumes, and seeds to ensure they are getting enough total protein but especially the essential amino acid lysine.

In addition you must take a supplement of vitamin b12, vitamin d, and ensure you're eating enough calcium and non-heme iron.

It's important to note that these things CAN be done on a vegan diet but require careful planning. Many of the people who are sprouting the "Eat 80/10/10" and "just eat whole foods you can't eff it up" and ESPECIALLY "raw vegans" are deficient in the above. So is it ignorant to just say "well i can't get enough protein" on a vegan diet? Yes. But it's also equally as ignorant to say it's a "myth" and completely irrelevant.

And contrary to popular nonsense sprouted by the vegan "youtube community" there IS such a thing as protein deficiency.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    It wouldn't work for me. It would be too hard to get protein.
    sorry that is a myth about protein :) we vegans here that all the time.

Unfortunately, it is true. It is very important that vegans eat enough nuts, legumes, and seeds to ensure they are getting enough total protein but especially the essential amino acid lysine.

In addition you must take a supplement of vitamin b12, vitamin d, and ensure you're eating enough calcium and non-heme iron.

It's important to note that these things CAN be done on a vegan diet but require careful planning. Many of the people who are sprouting the "Eat 80/10/10" and "just eat whole foods you can't eff it up" and ESPECIALLY "raw vegans" are deficient in the above. So is it ignorant to just say "well i can't get enough protein" on a vegan diet? Yes. But it's also equally as ignorant to say it's a "myth" and completely irrelevant.

And contrary to popular nonsense sprouted by the vegan "youtube community" there IS such a thing as protein deficiency.

While it's true that vegans have to supplement vitamin B12 (or eat fortified foods), vitamin D supplementation isn't necessary for all vegans (although, like non-vegans, some of us do supplement). While a vegan diet won't have Vitamin D (unless it is consumed via fortified foods), about ten minutes a day of sunlight will allow us to produce what we need. Of course, there are valid health concerns with sun exposure, which is why some vegans choose to supplement.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    While it's true that vegans have to supplement vitamin B12 (or eat fortified foods), vitamin D supplementation isn't necessary for all vegans (although, like non-vegans, some of us do supplement). While a vegan diet won't have Vitamin D (unless it is consumed via fortified foods), about ten minutes a day of sunlight will allow us to produce what we need. Of course, there are valid health concerns with sun exposure, which is why some vegans choose to supplement.

That's ten minutes of very direct (e.g. noontime) sun over a large skin surface such as you present if you're laying down in a bathing suit. And it's for Caucasians - those with darker skin tones can require more than an hour for the same effect, as melanin reduces your effective UV exposure and slows the rate of vitamin D synthesis.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Gaz_Palmer wrote: »
    Hi. I am a vegan, but just joined MFP to lose some weight.
    I want to kick out most or preferably all the processed foods, sauces and breads. Then move to a much more raw food diet.
    I don't see what the big issues against raw food diet are (actually the same old tired excuses- a good one about raw food means you can't get warm! Lol). I think the negative people just want to project they're own personality failings on to others'.
    You just eat fruit veggies beans nuts and salads (never been eating out anywhere where you can't get a salad!) etc...just without messing with them, or covering them with cr@p.
    The reason I can't be a vegan/vegetarian...................................there are no plants that taste or have the texture of meat. Especially bacon. That AIN'T no excuse, that's the reality.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    There are lots of things that take lots of discipline/determination/dedication: dancing, bodybuilding, competitive sports, music, etc.
    But it's mostly a preference for all above that WANT to do it. If one doesn't want to do it, it doesn't mean they aren't disciplined/lack determination/lack dedication personally. It just means they don't have it for whatever thing they may detest or dislike.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

That's ten minutes of very direct (e.g. noontime) sun over a large skin surface such as you present if you're laying down in a bathing suit. And it's for Caucasians - those with darker skin tones can require more than an hour for the same effect, as melanin reduces your effective UV exposure and slows the rate of vitamin D synthesis.

The sources I have read say face and arms exposure for 10-15 minutes for light-skinned people at a sunny time (that is, a time when a sunburn would be possible). For darker skinned people, I have read 20 minutes, but it may indeed vary by how dark your skin is.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cool story bro.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

The sources I have read say face and arms exposure for 10-15 minutes for light-skinned people at a sunny time (that is, a time when a sunburn would be possible). For darker skinned people, I have read 20 minutes, but it may indeed vary by how dark your skin is.

In any case, if one were to get all of their vitamin D in this manner it would still require careful planning and consistency. Depending on the climate you live in it may even be impossible.

Supplementing is the best option in my opinion. Even if one chooses to get their vitamin d from the sun only it is an important factor to consider and keep in mind while planning a vegan diet. Again, I am mainly stressing that it is easy to be an "unhealthy" vegan and that to thrive on this lifestyle you must do careful planning to avoid deficiencies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In the Habit book by Duhigg, the author points out that all Olympic athletes are obsessives.

"dedication, determination and discipline", I believe, can create it's own reward loop, where the person compulsively follows the program to get that glowy, "clean" feeling.

What happens when the person falls off the dedication train? Is it a failure to eat outside the program? Is it a balanced way to live?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

In any case, if one were to get all of their vitamin D in this manner it would still require careful planning and consistency. Depending on the climate you live in it may even be impossible.

Supplementing is the best option in my opinion. Even if one chooses to get their vitamin d from the sun only it is an important factor to consider and keep in mind while planning a vegan diet. Again, I am mainly stressing that it is easy to be an "unhealthy" vegan and that to thrive on this lifestyle you must do careful planning to avoid deficiencies.

Supplementing or eating fortified foods may be the best choice for many vegans (and non-vegans, many of whom in the US receive most of their vitamin D through fortified foods). I was simply responding to the statement that vegans "must" supplement vitamin D, as this isn't true.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Gaz_Palmer wrote: »
    Hi. I am a vegan, but just joined MFP to lose some weight.
    I want to kick out most or preferably all the processed foods, sauces and breads. Then move to a much more raw food diet.
    I don't see what the big issues against raw food diet are (actually the same old tired excuses- a good one about raw food means you can't get warm! Lol). I think the negative people just want to project they're own personality failings on to others'.
    You just eat fruit veggies beans nuts and salads (never been eating out anywhere where you can't get a salad!) etc...just without messing with them, or covering them with cr@p.

I wouldn't cover any food with crap, brought or cooked; that's just not healthy. Fecal matter will make you sick.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Raw vegan?
    Think of all the living screaming plants and fruits that one must chew through... The horror...
    I say give the veggies a quick, humane death before consuming.
    Oh yes, cooked veggies have more bioavailability than raw...