How do you weigh big pieces of meat?

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
This frustrates me more than anything! I buy big packs of chicken breast, cut/weigh portions, and precook them, but cutting pieces that are 112g is impossible! I end up with cuts that are a bit too big or too small.

Just wondering what you do, or if you just get as close as you can and let it go? Or are you labeling individual cuts with the weight on them? Weighing after cooking?

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cut up the chicken into pieces and then weigh the one you want to eat. Log whatever that turns out to be and don't be so obsessive about them being exactly 112 grams...
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    You tell him (or her), if they don't get on the scale RIGHT NOW, the relationship is done.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Cut up the chicken into pieces and then weigh the one you want to eat. Log whatever that turns out to be and don't be so obsessive about them being exactly 112 grams...

Ok. I usually just cook everything at one time and freeze it, taking out what I need as I go for meals. This works for me since I get pressed for time.... I just can't keep track of every freaking piece I have in the freezer. :s
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

Ok. I usually just cook everything at one time and freeze it, taking out what I need as I go for meals. This works for me since I get pressed for time.... I just can't keep track of every freaking piece I have in the freezer. :s
    Nothing wrong with weighing it after cooking (and freezong). Just log the cooked versus raw weight. The database has both
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Sharpie on the freezer bag. Done.

This! Freeze each piece raw and write on the individual bags the number of grams.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Sharpie on the freezer bag. Done.

I have painters tape and sharpies in my kitchen to mark things with grams or calories. Works great.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I always weigh after cooking. I know how many ounces of meat I want to eat and I just slice off a little at a time and add it to the food scale until I have that amount, and save the rest for another meal.