Need encouraging friends & GF Gain Tips

Options
Hello, I'm Mandy & I am 21 years old. I've been using MFP faithfully for over a year but didn't allow anyone to friend me because I was restricting. I've had a lot of health issues and have Celiacs disease. I am struggling to keep weight on because I'm really malnourished right now. I'm 5'5" and was down to 88 lbs but now am up to 102 lbs. My goal is at LEAST to hit my healthy weight goal on my BMI, which would be 117 lbs. I need encouraging friends who can maybe cheer me on. My doctor said with my damaged gut it is so hard for me to get nourishment and I need to work up to eating 5,000 calories! This seems scary and impossible especially since I've struggled with eating in the past. The most I have ever eaten is 3,000 cals. I am taking double vitamins to try to make up for my malnourishment and also iron because I'm anemic. I also have to be on Ensure or orGain for at least a month to see how that helps. Thank you so much! Also any tips on gluten free ways to add healthy calories and gain weight would be apreciated!

Replies

• GeoffreyGilbert
    Options
    Go to reddit.com in the search type Gainit.(one word) hope this helps.
  • blossomofsnow
    blossomofsnow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck Mandy, I've been checking your diary regularly, you are doing a great job! Keep doing it and you will be up to 5000 calories in no time, that's just practice!!! Don't give up ☺
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With being GF, you just have to be careful with reading labels. There are a lot of foods that contain wheat that many people wouldn't think of such as many BBQ sauces, soy sauce, Twizzlers, etc..

You can drink some calorie (like chocolate milk) to help make it easier. Also, adding foods such as ice cream or full fat dairy, nuts and nut butter, avocados, and fatty cuts of meat will help you out a lot.
  • monkeybusiness2104
    Options
    Do you have a sprouts grocery store where you live? They have so many foods you can eat for gluten free. Including chicken nuggets. Waffles. Hundreds of things. Also try amazon.com for gluten free foods. My mom has what you have and shops there. Also most grocery stores even Walmart and target now have gluten free sections.
  • klevishaskurti
    klevishaskurti Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey! I'll follow you
  • mandylynnie
    mandylynnie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good luck Mandy, I've been checking your diary regularly, you are doing a great job! Keep doing it and you will be up to 5000 calories in no time, that's just practice!!! Don't give up ☺
    thank you so much!!! I appreciate it <3

• mandylynnie
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    With being GF, you just have to be careful with reading labels. There are a lot of foods that contain wheat that many people wouldn't think of such as many BBQ sauces, soy sauce, Twizzlers, etc..

You can drink some calorie (like chocolate milk) to help make it easier. Also, adding foods such as ice cream or full fat dairy, nuts and nut butter, avocados, and fatty cuts of meat will help you out a lot.
    I know about being careful, I've been celiac for two years and have found out the hard way about spices and sauces and eating out and supposedly GF foods. I eat lots of non dairy ice cream and am trying to add more meat. for some reason avocados make me sick but I LOVE the taste.
  • mandylynnie
    Options
    Do you have a sprouts grocery store where you live? They have so many foods you can eat for gluten free. Including chicken nuggets. Waffles. Hundreds of things. Also try amazon.com for gluten free foods. My mom has what you have and shops there. Also most grocery stores even Walmart and target now have gluten free sections.
    we don't have sprouts where I live is out in the middle of no where. Walmart is an hour away and it doesn't have gf food. I get most of my groceries from thrive market online which is rlly cheap. or our local little organic grocery store, where it is super expensive!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Try to eat full-fat/full calorie versions of everything. You can add butter, oil, nut-butters, and/or salad dressings to things you already eat. I love fruit dipped in yogurt or pb, pretzels(if you can find GF) in pb or almond butter, coconut butter is really yummy too. Crisp veggies are good with ranch or hummus, hot veggies can be cooked with olive oil or butter. I also love smoothies and can down a lot more calories in a drink than would be comfortable as a whole food.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    you can check out my open diary, our family is gf for one of my kids and i maintain at about 2750, though my appetite is rediculous...and if i wasn't attempting maintnence nourishing calorie dense foods i like to eat on top of what you see in my diary are; hagen daaz chocolate ice cream, blue sky organic ginger ale, tons of dark chocolate, fatty cuts of meat like ribs and bacon, reeds ginger chews, burgers and fries, milkshakes, pizza, you can make all of these at home from high quality gf ingredients.
    you can do this!
  • silverstormborn
    silverstormborn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You're so inspiring!!... To go from 88lbs - 102lbs had to have taken you time & commitment { This is currently where I want to be }. You've already made it this far... Keep doing what you're doing & there is absolutely no doubt you can make it to 117lbs.

Congratulations on your success so far!
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm happy to add encouragement also if you like. :)
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Your doing a great job im same as you also tryig to gain slowly getting there this may sound yuck but its really nice bake a sweet potato and mash in almond butter really nice also adds cals in x
  • mandylynnie
    Options
    Try to eat full-fat/full calorie versions of everything. You can add butter, oil, nut-butters, and/or salad dressings to things you already eat. I love fruit dipped in yogurt or pb, pretzels(if you can find GF) in pb or almond butter, coconut butter is really yummy too. Crisp veggies are good with ranch or hummus, hot veggies can be cooked with olive oil or butter. I also love smoothies and can down a lot more calories in a drink than would be comfortable as a whole food.

thank you so much! @DancingMoosie

• mandylynnie
    Options
    mspunkyone wrote: »
    you can check out my open diary, our family is gf for one of my kids and i maintain at about 2750, though my appetite is rediculous...and if i wasn't attempting maintnence nourishing calorie dense foods i like to eat on top of what you see in my diary are; hagen daaz chocolate ice cream, blue sky organic ginger ale, tons of dark chocolate, fatty cuts of meat like ribs and bacon, reeds ginger chews, burgers and fries, milkshakes, pizza, you can make all of these at home from high quality gf ingredients.
    you can do this!

thank you! I followed you all. @mspunkyone
  • mandylynnie
    Options
    You're so inspiring!!... To go from 88lbs - 102lbs had to have taken you time & commitment { This is currently where I want to be }. You've already made it this far... Keep doing what you're doing & there is absolutely no doubt you can make it to 117lbs.

Congratulations on your success so far!

@mspunkyone thank you!! it hasn't been easy and I've seemed to plateau at 108 right now. I've had some bad flares so that's probably why. it's ppl like you who make me want to keep going
  • mandylynnie
    Options
    Your doing a great job im same as you also tryig to gain slowly getting there this may sound yuck but its really nice bake a sweet potato and mash in almond butter really nice also adds cals in x

that sounds so yummy! I'm going to try it. thank you!
  • patrickh111
    patrickh111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are doing great , im 19 currently at 130lbs ... i want to get to 150, putting on weight takes time and effort .. i found that out when i had to get from 115 to the 130 im at now. Main tip id have is always eat big in the morning 1,000-1,200 calories if you can. Good luck and if you would like to add me as a friend feel free . If you have twitter message me it and ill give you a follow!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One thing I forgot to post, there are a bunch of good recipes on www.mccormick.com .
  • InkNishimura
    InkNishimura Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cheering for ya mandy!!