Anyone Have a Non-Banana Smoothie Recipe?

Options
FitToBeFab
FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
I'm allergic to bananas, and a LOT of smoothies have bananas in them. Does anyone have a smoothie recipe staple in their mix that doesn't involve bananas?

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, per se, but I've never felt the need to follow recipes when it comes to smoothies. Just stick a bunch of stuff you like in a blender, blend and.... ta da! Smoothie! A bit of milk and yogurt make a good base. You can make it fruity by adding berries and/or peaches (I like using frozen fruit to keep the smoothie cold). Or you could go chocolatey and add some chocolate-flavored something (I like protein powder) and even some peanut butter, if you like. It is fertile ground for experimentation!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i normally have:
    1/2 cup ice
    1 cup of almond vanilla milk
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 of a frozen banana.

i'm thinkin maybe u could substitute. maybe use another 1/2 cup of another fruit?

maybe 1 cup of raspberries. or 1/2 cup of raspberries & 1/2 cup of blackberries?
  • britchan
    britchan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is why smoothies are so great...you can basically put whatever you want in them. Instead of a banana, just do an all strawberry...or mix it up with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries. Even fruits like mango, kiwis, and even apples can be added to smoothies. I prefer yogurt smoothies, so I always keep a jug of vanilla yogurt around. You can also add juice to it as well.

You can even try adding some veggies too! Carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes are all good. As previous posters said, you can just stick a bunch of stuff in a blender and go. I also like to add honey for sweetness (or if you like Splenda or some other sweetener however most fruits are sweet enough). If you really need good ideas, just type in smoothie recipes non-banana or something in google and go to town.

Mmmm makes me want a smoothie right now!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i 4got 2 mention. there's a post on here that ppl have just posted what they make smoothies with & there r a lot of different versions.

here's the link: enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62483-how-do-you-make-your-smoothie
  • FitToBeFab
    Options
    Thanks! You guys are awesome!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skysilver
    skysilver Posts: 73
    Options
    Half a yellow water melon and two orange
    A real wake up call for mornings
    Enjoy
  • my2loves04and06
    Options
    I made one yesterday for breakfast for the family.

2 c. lite vanilla yogurt
    2 c. frozen mango
    3/4 c. frozen blueberries

Makes 16 oz
    8 oz = 265 cals/57 carb/0 fat/7 protein
  • FitToBeFab
    Options
    I made one yesterday for breakfast for the family.

2 c. lite vanilla yogurt
    2 c. frozen mango
    3/4 c. frozen blueberries

Makes 16 oz
    8 oz = 265 cals/57 carb/0 fat/7 protein

Sounds DELISH!! I love mangos :-)
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    1/2 cup plain or vanilla Chobani nonfat Greek yogurt (depends on how sweet you want it!)
    1 cup frozen (mostly thawed) mixed berries... which you can get big bags of, usually blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries all frozen, full of fiber and mostly natural sugars; fresh are obviously better but sometimes the frozen work better because they are cheaper lol
    1/2 to 1 cup peach or nectarine slices to taste/consistency
    1/2 cup crushed ice

blend that shtuff up. basically i'd recommend a nonfat yogurt base, some ice, and whatever fiber-ful fruits you love!! :)
  • Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have one every morning.

1 cup frozen berries (usually strawberries)
    1 cup orange juice ( or any other that you like, tried V8 strawberry banana this morning)
    handful of frozen blueberries
    4 tbsp of low fat activia - vanilla

I have a Magic Bullet and I find it works great for making smoothies.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Since smoothies have been brought up again I wanted to tell everyone I finally tried adding spinach to my smoothie and everyone here on MFP was right - you can't taste it!

I was sckeptical but with a giant tub of spinach and an expiry date fast approaching (June 22) I threw in a heaping handful yesterday to 1 cup frozen mangos (thawed), ½ cup frozen blueberries, about 3/4 cup water and then about 1/2 cup of ice to chill it. It wasn't a green smoothie because of the blueberries so if you want to try this but are afraid of green make sure blueberries are in it.

I never use bananas in my smoothies since they are a more difficult fruit, you have to use them right away if they are browning or wait a few days if they are green. I like my foods ready to go - strawberries, blueberries ½ cup of juice or almond milk (only cause it was on sale for $1 otherwise milk is fine) and go! Add flax seeds or quick oats for more filler and fiber.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Here is a simple and easy recipe and not only do I love it by my kids do too!!

1 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup of fat free milk (or vanilla soymilk or vanilla Almond Breeze)
    1 (6 oz) container of 99% fat free lemon or vanilla yogurt
    Honey, if desired (I don't use it)

Blend until it is smooth!

Nutrition info:
    Serving size 1 cup
    Cals - 170
    Total fat - 2g
    Sat fat - 1g
    Sodium - 100mg
    Carbs - 31g
    Dietary fiber - 3g
    Sugar- 25g
    Protein - 7g
    Calcium - 25%
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I never use bananas in my smoothies since they are a more difficult fruit, you have to use them right away if they are browning or wait a few days if they are green. I like my foods ready to go - strawberries, blueberries ½ cup of juice or almond milk (only cause it was on sale for $1 otherwise milk is fine) and go! Add flax seeds or quick oats for more filler and fiber.

When they reach the "perfect" stage, just take whatever ones are on the counter, peel and freeze. Then, when you add them to the smoothie, they make it all nice and cold and there is no need to add ice!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

When they reach the "perfect" stage, just take whatever ones are on the counter, peel and freeze. Then, when you add them to the smoothie, they make it all nice and cold and there is no need to add ice!

I did that once but froze it whole, not broken up which made it difficult but I should definitely give them another chance, lol.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Adding oatmeal to a smoothie makes it thicker and fills you up. I like to use weight control oatmeal by quaker my favorite flavor is cinnamon, goes great with blueberrie and i add a little extra cinnamon to my milk before blending.
  • FitToBeFab
    Options
    Adding oatmeal to a smoothie makes it thicker and fills you up. I like to use weight control oatmeal by quaker my favorite flavor is cinnamon, goes great with blueberrie and i add a little extra cinnamon to my milk before blending.

Genius! Thanks!!
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I buy the Yoplait Frozen Smoothie Triple Berry mix. No bananas in them as far as I know (double check the package since you are allergic) and they are really tasty! It's the only way I get my fruit in unfortunately, I don't like the texture of any fruit.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    try an apple with the skin (washed well, of course). that should help give you the consistency of a banana without having a banana!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I never thought to use oatmeal! What a wonderful idea. It's time for breakfast and I think I will try that! Thanks for the tip.