Apple Crumble

Options
230268 Posts: 30 Member
Looking for a healthier Apple crumble recipe..... something yummy for a after dinner treat

Replies

• braarup
    braarup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slice up an apple, sprinkle with some cinnamon and sweetener like Stevia. Heat in microwave till tender.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Bake apple slices in oven with just some cinnamon and a tiny bit of water (like a teaspoon). If you pick a sweeter apple like granny smith you shouldn't need extra sugar. I know I didn't! I found I liked the apple bit better and was happy to skip the crumble bit in order to have more apple. But you could toast some rolled oats and sprinkle ontop for that crunch without the butter/sugar.

(Just be careful you don't end up eating 10 apples by accident - that's easy to do once it's baked down)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-or-pear-crisp-for-one-88290

I think it was close to 300 calories when I made it, but it's good and satisfying, and better than making a whole dish of it. You can probably use less sugar too. But butter and flour is pretty much necessary if you're after the 'crumble' part.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Apple Cranberry Crumble only 211 calories per serving and has nuts!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Bake apple slices in oven with just some cinnamon and a tiny bit of water (like a teaspoon). If you pick a sweeter apple like granny smith you shouldn't need extra sugar. I know I didn't! I found I liked the apple bit better and was happy to skip the crumble bit in order to have more apple. But you could toast some rolled oats and sprinkle ontop for that crunch without the butter/sugar.

(Just be careful you don't end up eating 10 apples by accident - that's easy to do once it's baked down)

Granny Smith are listed as tart.........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/07/cheat-sheet-apple-variety_n_1000281.html

Dark brown sugar (as opposed to light) has a stronger flavor. You can use less, but still get the brown sugar taste.

Nothing wrong with oats and cinnamon. But the binder (usually butter).....I typically use my favorite recipe but cut down on the portions.

Weight Watchers version........
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tbsp
    1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
    1⁄4 cup packed (dark) brown sugar
    1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 pinch salt
    3 tablespoons light stick butter, diced
    1 teaspoon water
    1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
    1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 pinch ground cloves
    3 lbs golden delicious apples or 3 lbs jonathan apples, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

I'm not a fan of "light" butter. It typically contains water....not so good on crunchy things.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Apple Cranberry Crumble only 211 calories per serving and has nuts!

For a 1/4 cup lol :) that one bite... well maybe two haha :)

Just under 3/4 cup - not THAT bad! LOL