People don't believe you

Options
2»

Replies

• kmleaf
    kmleaf Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My son lost about 260 pounds using MFP and quite a few people have asked for his help. He has showed them how to use MFP but he found that all they really wanted to do was whine about how "bad" they were last night at dinner. Some wanted him to tell them exactly what he ate each day. He tried to explain that they could eat whatever they liked and that his tastes would probably be much different than theirs. Their eyes just got glazed over and they weren't really hearing him. He doesn't have much patience for people that just talk about losing weight but don't want to put in the effort.

He says that I am his only "student" with any success. I am down 85 lbs now in 8 months and feel wonderful. My son saved my life - truly.

Nobody has asked me yet how I am doing it but I work in a small office and they all aware already. Same with my friends - one of which lost a ton of weight with gastric bypass - then a full body lift and now she has gained it all back. Surgery isn't the "fix" people think it is.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should say "yes there was surgery. I was the surgeon and I cut out all the excess food from my diet!"
  • 2bfit_2016
    2bfit_2016 Posts: 13 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've lost 75 lbs in the last 8 months. I've been offended more times then I can count regarding my weight loss. It's definitely not as uncommon as some people might think. Not everyone is going to be happy about your weight loss and that just the reality of it.

I have been accused of lying, starving myself or eating like a pigeon but Rarely am I given credit by anyone for putting in hardwork. People expect you to say you took the easy way out and just took some diet pills or had some surgery instead of actually putting forth some effort. Everything I do or say now regarding my weight seems to spark a debate, so I've just learned that Some people are just plain jealous and envy you for what you have done. I've had to cut off certain people from my fitness goals/ plans/ progress because they clearly can't help but give back handed compliments or pass judgment.

Keep ur head high and limit those certain people from knowing too much about your fitness related goals/progress. It's better for them and for your own sanity, trust me!

• trossk2
    trossk2 Posts: 50 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I seem to be the exception. My experience with people asking has been mostly positive, though I don't word it as calorie counting. I explain that I had absolutely no idea how many calories were in what I ate, wrote down 3 of my regular days, totaled up the calories, compared it to what I should be consuming, said "Holy 5h1t!", swapped some of the really bad stuff for less bad or good stuff, proceeded to log using the myfitnesspal app from then on, and boom I'm losing weight without a structured diet. One person downloaded the app on the spot.

Saying you're counting calories when you mean using mfp is like saying you're going to a park when you mean a Six Flags Amusement Park. Equally true but vastly different experiences.
  • aubned92
    aubned92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had mostly positive reactions to my weight loss but occasionally I get "but where is your extra/loose skin?" :o Like that confirms weight loss and like I'm need to put it on display. Oh well.... Their problem not mine.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Maybe we should say "yes there was surgery. I was the surgeon and I cut out all the excess food from my diet!"

I like it!

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Unless there is something out of the ordinary (for example, you start eating only very small amounts of food at a time), no one is likely to think or say this. Neither I nor anyone I know who has lost weight has ever been accused of lying about how they lost weight. People are usual genuinely interested in your eating and exercise routine when you get results. Of course, if you have surgery this is your private business and you don't need to share or make up other reasons.

I can't help but feel that my personal experience, and the experiences of others on this thread, has proven this generalization false.

I keep getting told by a coworker "You don't know any good place to eat because you're ALWAYS on a DIET."
    Nope. Not a diet. Lifestyle change. And I went out to Chili's last night, and their beef enchiladas were fantastic. (He doesn't need to know that I only ate half and the rest was shared between family members when I got home)
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am pretty sure it is equally hard to maintain after gastric bypass surgery. Surgery is a means to an end. Given the number of repeat MFP-ers I don't care what anybody does for weight loss if they don't learn the skills to maintain afterwards (I raise my hand as a repeat gainer).

How often have you encourage people to stop diet, eat the same things they like but lower amounts (yes sometimes much lower and very occasionnally) and they came back the following day with "this diet", and after you've lost 20 lbs they came back with "this program", and after you've lost 60 lbs they are promoting "this product". Half the time they've talked to you during your weight loss you were prepping/cooking your food or going/coming back from a workout. And yet they make it seem like you've lost weight overnight with some occult means.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Unless there is something out of the ordinary (for example, you start eating only very small amounts of food at a time), no one is likely to think or say this. Neither I nor anyone I know who has lost weight has ever been accused of lying about how they lost weight. People are usual genuinely interested in your eating and exercise routine when you get results. Of course, if you have surgery this is your private business and you don't need to share or make up other reasons.

I can't help but feel that my personal experience, and the experiences of others on this thread, has proven this generalization false.

I keep getting told by a coworker "You don't know any good place to eat because you're ALWAYS on a DIET."
    Nope. Not a diet. Lifestyle change. And I went out to Chili's last night, and their beef enchiladas were fantastic. (He doesn't need to know that I only ate half and the rest was shared between family members when I got home)

I guess I move in very polite circles. I'm not saying that I have never heard any rude comments but they have been the rare exemption (about me and others). I am willing to acknowledge that other people may have inappropriate comments as a common thing - makes me thankful for my own experience, for sure!
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nice thread
  • michaelhcox
    michaelhcox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am asked all the time for my "secret". I've started telling I'm on the "all donut diet" where I eat nothing but donuts all the time. After they figure out I'm joking I tell them what I'm really doing and they seem more likely to believe me.
  • JamalIgle
    JamalIgle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've had one of two instances of people asking me if I had surgery, then I explain to them that I run 10k six days a week and exercise almost daily. I cut the portions, indulge occasionally so that I don't get stuck in a rut and just have fun. It boggles their minds, especially the people who've known me a very long time.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am asked all the time for my "secret". I've started telling I'm on the "all donut diet" where I eat nothing but donuts all the time. After they figure out I'm joking I tell them what I'm really doing and they seem more likely to believe me.

I tell people 'the wine and cheesecake diet' :)
  • manueldelreal
    manueldelreal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use the "whole foods diet" is my secret. I eat whole cakes, whole pizzas, etc
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I see this all the time. Anytime someone makes a significant change in the public eye they are there to claim it was surgery, drugs, genetics or anything else that puts it out of the reach of "normal" people.

I remember when Chris Pratt was in the news for his transformation and here were countless comments online about how he HAD to have had surgery, or that he could only do it because he was rich and could afford a personal trainer and all the supliments. Or even that he must have taken roids!

With all due respect to Pratt and his accomplishment people on this forum and all over the world do the same and more without all the benefits he may have enjoyed. What he did is certainly not outside the realm of possibility for practically anyone, and his physique is hardly extreme enough to suggest steroids as the only possible route.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    People who knew me when I was 50 - 80 lbs overweight and haven't seen me since those days do not recognize me now.

Some wonder if I gotten surgery, others ask if I'm on a particular diet plan like low carb or Paleo or with Weight Watchers etc. When I tell them I basically eat what I want, I just plan my meals/watch how much I eat and also I exercise very regularly. It just does not compute.

I get asked how I can still eat pizza, ice cream, candy, white foods etc and still be healthy and really fit with a flat stomach. I briefly mention calories and I get that glassed-eye stare. Also I think some people are shocked how I've maintained my weight loss almost 3 years.

Someone recently asked me about eating pizza (I have pizza on Friday nights, even when I was losing) and I told him I made swaps. For example when I was overweight I would eat like 4 - 5 slices, cheesy breadsticks, a soda and probably some type of dessert. Now I would eat 2 maybe 3 slices, a big veggie salad and water. I broke down the approximate calories on a sheet a paper and he was floored with the difference. He got it (I think), but hasn't put it to practice yet.

While I don't ever bring up health and fitness to anyone besides my MFP buddies, to those that are genuinely interested I tell them I am here if they have any questions.

Everyone who approaches me all want the fast and easy solution like a pill or a diet to follow. Can't help them with that although I've been there (wanting the quick easy way).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!