13»

Replies

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you will lose more weight early on due to glycogen depletion (basically water weight) and it will level off after that. study after study has shown that ultimately, long term weight loss is the same as doing anything else. low carb works on the same premise as any other diet...reduction in calories and thus an energy deficit to lose weight.

i'm kind of an old fashioned guy and basically take my granny's approach...eating a well balanced diet that is chalk full of nutrition from all three macros. carbs aren't this evil thing that the diet and fitness industry is currently making them out to be. even my diabetic dad ate carbs...I worked with him and his dietician for a couple of years and low carb was never suggested...better choices of what makes up those carbs for sure...and a moderation of intake for sure...but she never suggested low carb or keto which tend to be the go to here in MFP land for just about any medical condition you can think of...apparently it is a miracle cure all.

For diabetics, their medicine levels must match their carbohydrate intake. Diabetic drugs are not able to handle widely varying levels of carb intake, so they give the patient a carb target level and then they try and match the drug levels. The 'recommended' levels of carbs is just to match the treatment and has no other meaning.

Low carb or keto would require adjustments to diabetic treatment drug levels and most practioners don't have a good handle on how to decrease drugs to match lower carb intake. It is that simple and shameful reason why diabetes is not treated with lowered carbohydrate intake.

no where did OP say she is a diabetic or have any medical condition...

It was addressed to a response that went OT and was degrading low carb as a dietary tool.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with low carb is adequate fibre. I've done a couple low carb mock diary days and the fibre content is woefully low, and to get said fibre bumps the carbs up higher than is recommended. I try not to go below 30g of fibre per day, and If I do I suffer for it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with low carb is adequate fibre. I've done a couple low carb mock diary days and the fibre content is woefully low, and to get said fibre bumps the carbs up higher than is recommended. I try not to go below 30g of fibre per day, and If I do I suffer for it.

If you ever choose to try LCHF again, MCTs like coconut oil will get things moving. Nuts will also do it too.

As a general rule, fibre is helpful to move carbs through. Protein and fat usually do not require fibre to improve transit time. That's very generally speaking. A diet of 75% cheese could end up being a problem if you tried that... not that you would.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think low carb is the way to go iv seen many many many succeed with low carb and i strictly believe that is the way to go so i say go for it..
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    No.
    Sugar does not get a direct pass to the blood stream, unless it's pure glucose your body has to work to break it down into glucose and fructose-

Sugar (sucrose) in an acid soda will already be inverted to glucose & fructose, similarly the acid environment of the stomach will do the job pretty quick with no "work" involved.

Thanks. I did not realize the acid in the the soda gave it a head start like that.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you ever choose to try LCHF again, MCTs like coconut oil will get things moving. Nuts will also do it too.

As a general rule, fibre is helpful to move carbs through. Protein and fat usually do not require fibre to improve transit time. That's very generally speaking. A diet of 75% cheese could end up being a problem if you tried that... not that you would.

Thankyou :smile: I might start with carb cycling and see how I go. Don't think I could do low carb everyday, due to my love of dairy and fruit.

• nvmomketo
    Options

Thankyou :smile: I might start with carb cycling and see how I go. Don't think I could do low carb everyday, due to my love of dairy and fruit.

Fruit is often a stumbling block for people. Understandable. :) Dairy is fine on the diet as long as it is full fat and without added sugars. Cheese and heavy whipping cream are an easy fit (no lactose), and sourcream and full fat unsweetened yogurt are also not hard to fit in to a LCHF diet. I'm keto so it wouldn't fit as well with me, but low carbers often eat a good 100 more grams of carbs per day than I do.

Fruit can fit into a LCHF diet but some are harder to fit in, like bananas and tropical fruits. Berries are low GI and fine in moderation. Other fruits are higher in sugars so low carbers who like their fruits will eat smaller portions to accommodate their preferences, like half of an apple or pear rather than the whole thing.

...That's if you decide to try it again. :)
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I did a low carb paleo diet and lost 21 lbs in 40 days. I then coasted on low carb for a little over 2 months... Did not gain back a pound. By coasted I mean I would eat a pizza with friends or enjoy baked goods or eat a 5 guys burger. Got back heavy on the diet and dropped 11 lbs in two weeks. Tomorrow is the start of week three. I had to have lost a lot of water and waste... But I held the weight loss.

No matter how you look at it the deficit is key. Some people believe this key is influenced by macros or sugar or fairy dust. If they found something that works for them then... So be it.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Fairy dust? Uh-huh...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I did a low carb paleo diet and lost 21 lbs in 40 days. I then coasted on low carb for a little over 2 months... Did not gain back a pound. By coasted I mean I would eat a pizza with friends or enjoy baked goods or eat a 5 guys burger. Got back heavy on the diet and dropped 11 lbs in two weeks. Tomorrow is the start of week three. I had to have lost a lot of water and waste... But I held the weight loss.

No matter how you look at it the deficit is key. Some people believe this key is influenced by macros or sugar or fairy dust. If they found something that works for them then... So be it.

Considering that you eat below the minimum for a male ... yes, it is the deficit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you will lose more weight early on due to glycogen depletion (basically water weight) and it will level off after that. study after study has shown that ultimately, long term weight loss is the same as doing anything else. low carb works on the same premise as any other diet...reduction in calories and thus an energy deficit to lose weight.

i'm kind of an old fashioned guy and basically take my granny's approach...eating a well balanced diet that is chalk full of nutrition from all three macros. carbs aren't this evil thing that the diet and fitness industry is currently making them out to be. even my diabetic dad ate carbs...I worked with him and his dietician for a couple of years and low carb was never suggested...better choices of what makes up those carbs for sure...and a moderation of intake for sure...but she never suggested low carb or keto which tend to be the go to here in MFP land for just about any medical condition you can think of...apparently it is a miracle cure all.

For diabetics, their medicine levels must match their carbohydrate intake. Diabetic drugs are not able to handle widely varying levels of carb intake, so they give the patient a carb target level and then they try and match the drug levels. The 'recommended' levels of carbs is just to match the treatment and has no other meaning.

Low carb or keto would require adjustments to diabetic treatment drug levels and most practioners don't have a good handle on how to decrease drugs to match lower carb intake. It is that simple and shameful reason why diabetes is not treated with lowered carbohydrate intake.

Most practitioners?!? You are basing this on what exactly? And are you saying practitioners do not recommend a reduction in carbohydrates?
    Sometimes they recommend a small reduction.
    They go with the accepted protocol rather than actually trying to help the patient.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been low carb for three years now. It has been the easiest WOE in my life.
    I was vegetarian for 25 years, but ate a lot of carbs including soda. And was always overweight since I was 5.
    Then my blood sugar turned out to be high. I did not want to go on meds, so tried change in diet.
    Carbs in your diet raise raise insulin more than protein, and far more than fat. So reduced the carbs....blood sugar started going to normal levels, and less insulin was produced.
    Insulin is basically needed to store fat, and it helps that with your carbs.
    If you search online for children with type 2 diabetes BEFORE insulin was discovered and manufactured, they look skeletal. That is because no matter what they ate, their beta cells in the pancreas were not producing insulin and their bodies had no way to store fat effectively.

If you are not carb sensitive, maybe this is not an issue for you.
    But more and more people are carb sensitive/have metabolic syndrome/diabetes than ever before.
    And low carb works better for them than low fat diets.
    I lost 85 lbs first year. It has stalled for me, but I did NOT gain any of the weight back and my blood sugars are usually in the 80s and my A1C is under 5. Thanks to this WOE. All that without exercising.

I had to give up my bread and pasta and soda, but I gained stuff like bacon and butter. (no longer vegetarian of course. Low carb vegetarian is possible, but I know I would not be able to maintain it personally)
    I no longer have carb cravings, but that took months.

Even if you do not want to commit to low carb, if you commit to reducing processed foods, and cooking from whole foods, your health will improve.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Edit...meant "children with type 1 diabetes" in the first paragraph.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    sinbadfxdl wrote: »
    There is a Bbc horizon documentary "the atkins diet". 6 processes more for protein breakdown into glucose. And I didn't mean carbs go directly, but too many goes straight to fat. And protein will stay in your stomach a lot longer . Hit a plateau lately. You body is fighting back to retain the fat If your not eating enough. Eat more to break the plateau.

So you're arguing that the body is ignoring the fat you eat, which it can just plain store because it is, after all fat, and instead is using energy to turn carbohydrates into fats (the process isn't free, it takes energy). Okay, maybe you don't believe in evolution, but say you did and we exist in world where animals that can conserve energy via novel adaptions flourish and pass on their genes more. Given all that, what would you say is a novel energy adaptation? Wouldn't you imagine any animals that favors burning carbohydrates directly for energy and storing fats as fats, which will result in less over all energy use, has a major metabolic advantage?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Considering one of the things soluble fiber breaks down into is MCTs, this seems kind of liking going backwards in trying to use MCTs as fiber.
    There will still be a tendency to lack insoluble fiber when not having fruit or grains.
    There are health benefits to fiber that extend beyond transit time, particularly in terms of heart health and cholesterol.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I don't think MCT should be used like fibre. I think fibre is less needed when carbs are low.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fiber low carb: eggplant, spinach, swiss chard, collards, romaine, coconut flour, mushrooms, asparagus, avocado, . . .
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Most practitioners?!? You are basing this on what exactly? And are you saying practitioners do not recommend a reduction in carbohydrates?

depends where you are, but many Diabetic Associations promote the "healthy low fat diet" or "eating the same as anyone else". The British Dietetic Association surveyed its members last year on this, if you have half an hour to spare the video presentation is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP41OHMw4ok

or look here (timed link)where you can see 100 never or rarely suggest carb restriction compared to about 95 that do so regularly.

Put "carbohydrate restriction diabetes" into a Google image search and you'll see it's a rather small set.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    There will still be a tendency to lack insoluble fiber when not having fruit or grains.

Plenty in veg, nuts etc http://www.dietitians.ca/Downloads/Factsheets/Food-Sources-of-Soluble-Fibre.aspx
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

depends where you are, but many Diabetic Associations promote the "healthy low fat diet" or "eating the same as anyone else". The British Dietetic Association surveyed its members last year on this, if you have half an hour to spare the video presentation is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP41OHMw4ok

or look here (timed link)where you can see 100 never or rarely suggest carb restriction compared to about 95 that do so regularly.

Put "carbohydrate restriction diabetes" into a Google image search and you'll see it's a rather small set.
    I'll view the video tonight so thanks for the link. In the US, since diabetes plateaued over five years ago my practitioner(GP) was asking if you gain weight and a discussion about pre diabetes would start. In the past 2 years it has been questions centered around what I do to keep losing weight. So, when someone states 'most practitioners' for me at least it throws up a flag. Thanks again for the link.