Any ex smokers starting running with success? I quit 28 days ago and want to start running

Options
Hi Guys

I quit smoking 28 days ago after smoking 20 a day for nearly twenty years, I want to start running but I have read in lots of places that high impact exercise can actually cause cell damage in new ex smokers because of the oxidation. Does anyone have any tips on how to become a decent runner eventually from being a total beginner?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Hi Belleamore, good for YOU! That is awesome news!! I smoked for 23 years...quit 10 years ago....the best advice I can give is start slow, and listen to your body...the good thing is, after a few months of not smoking, your body begins to repair the damage that was caused to it over those 20 years....YOU CAN DO IT! Ooo! Where's the thread about "what made you smile today"....THIS IS IT!!!! xoxo
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free now for 1 year and the reason I stopped was because I started going running with my husband...for me it didnt take long before I noticed how easier it was getting and I just listened to my body,we would run home from work which was about 3k,some nights I had to stop once or twice but didnt take me long til I was running with no stops...I then joined a gym and although I no longer,I do 5 gym classes a week which are spinning twice,bodycombat,GRIT,kettlebells...I too was a 20 a day smoker and prior to quitting I had been smoking for16 years...theres no way I could do what I do now if I still smoked...well done you! And dont believe all these things u read,they are just scams to keep a smoker hooked! After all if a smoker gets scared or worried what do they do..Smoke!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting! I quit so long ago that I forget exactly how long it's been, so since I've just started C25K, it hasn't really impacted running... sorry I can't help you there. I did just want to congratulate you and tell you that you've got this!
  • maniac5702
    maniac5702 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use to say I was pausing when I would quite smoking. I stopped in 2008 and run 7 daya a week now.

I'd suggest looking at the couch to 5k app. Good place to start.

I'm not a scientist so can't comment on cell damage but I would think the healthy choice to run or exercise at all would out weigh any of those possible damages. Go at your own pace and be consistent.

If you can make it to the 8 mile plus Mark that is where the magic happens :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes. I quit in January 2013, smoking a pack of Red Marlboro daily. I started running in 2014 with the C25K app. Since then I have run numerous 10k and half marathon races and just today I finished successfully my first full marathon.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Yes. I quit in January 2013, smoking a pack of Red Marlboro daily. I started running in 2014 with the C25K app. Since then I have run numerous 10k and half marathon races and just today I finished successfully my first full marathon.

Congratulations - that's an amazing transformation. And to the rest of you too!

• belleamore1234
    belleamore1234 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much I start today wish me luck! X
  • christianegaw
    christianegaw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Should like to get some tips how you all have stop smoking I'm using patches have cut down a lots use to smoke about 30 a days have cut down to 5 a day but want to be able to quit completely
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Should like to get some tips how you all have stop smoking I'm using patches have cut down a lots use to smoke about 30 a days have cut down to 5 a day but want to be able to quit completely

After 11 failed attempts (pills, patches, willpower all failed), I finally succeeded...but it took my father in law dying in front of me to do that....didn't help hubby, he smokes twice as much, but I haven't had a puff in just over ten years. It has to be something that is totally for, about, you. You have to want it. I equate it with losing weight...you really have to want it, for the right reasons, to make it stick. But if after 23 years, I managed...you can too!!! Good luck! Every minute, hour, day smoke free is a positive start!! xo
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Start running slowly, a brisk walk . Walk, jog, walk jog, keep going. Mind what your body's telling you. Don't press much and just keep going. Improvement will come, you'll get better, you'll feel better.
  • afbigg
    afbigg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd say the couch to 5k or C25k program is great. I'm still a smoker
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    A girl on my friends list is an ex-smoker and she qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I started running several years before I quit smoking. It used to blow peoples mind to win an age group trophy and then light a cigarette! B)

It is a wonderful thing to quit smoking anytime you do it, there is no downside. I haven't smoked for 25 years but still consider myself a cigarette addict.

Edit;
    Believe it or not, having parents that smoke is more detrimental than smoking yourself in regard to athletic performance. The critical time is when children's lungs are developing. That development is stymied if living in a smoke filled environment. Do your children a favor, don't smoke.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    I started running several years before I quit smoking. It used to blow peoples mind to win an age group trophy and then light a cigarette! B)

It is a wonderful thing to quit smoking anytime you do it, there is no downside. I haven't smoked for 25 years but still consider myself a cigarette addict.

Edit;
    Believe it or not, having parents that smoke is more detrimental than smoking yourself in regard to athletic performance. The critical time is when children's lungs are developing. That development is stymied if living in a smoke filled environment. Do your children a favor, don't smoke.

I believe it..both my parents were chainsmokers...still are. Great advice!
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've also been smoke free for over a year now. When I first started running I could only run for about 3-5 minutes but now I'm up to about an hour steady pace and do loads of HIIT treadmill .. Best advice is for sure listen to your body slowly increasing time you will get there .. Isn't it great not smoking!? The crazy thing is when you see other people smoking and think ugh lol congrats your doing awesome keep it up YOU GOT THIS! :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I quit nearly 10 years ago but didn't start running until last year. I still think about smoking everyday and once a year I have a cigarette thinking it's going to be amazing and realizing that it's disgusting. I guess the remembrance of smoking is better than it actually is.

Anyway, just start slow. If you don't currently do any cardio exercise I might suggest starting with walking rather than running.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Congrats on not smoking. Me, and lost weight while quitting, but I started running before I quit. I quit so I could run longer and faster. Its been a little over a year since I quit for the 3rd time (for good this time). I don't want anything to mess up my runs that includes not being able to breath.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I know lots of asthmatics that run so you should be able to without issue. I used to smoke, but its been like 12 years. I started running about 3.5 years ago.