Excessive thirst??

Options
I've had this strange excessive thirst going on the last couple weeks. I drink 4 to 5 bottles of water a day.. so about 8.5 to 10.5 cups of water a day, but feel as though I haven't drank anything at all. My mouth is extreme dry and uncomfortable. I keep thinking should I be drinking even more water? I don't think this is normal.

There are also times if I go to long without eating, I shake uncontrollably and almost pass out.. I get better once I eat.

Does this sound pre-diabetic? Or maybe I just need more water...

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    More water or a doctor visit
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the doctor.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like you need to see a doctor. Excessive thirst is an early sign of actual diabetes.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It sounds like diabetes (not just pre-diabetic). You should visit the doctor
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would see the doctor too. Especially if urinating a lot.

More salt could help if it is not a health issue.
  • Grinder777
    Grinder777 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are also times if I go to long without eating, I shake uncontrollably and almost pass out.. I get better once I eat.

You know what you are doing wrong. Yes uncontrolled thrist is a sign of diabetes, on the other hand its extremly unlikely that you just have developed diabtes the moment you take care of what you eat. For the first time in years? u actually notice how your body feels. As a 6.5 guy I drink up to 2 Gallons of water each day, 10 cups are fine even 15 woudnt be a problem for your kidneys if they are healthy
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Signs of diabetes. You gotta rule that out. Carry candy with you so you don't faint in the meantime. Low blood sugar is just as dangerous as high blood sugar so please take care until you see the doctor.
  • Grinder777
    Options
    Ok I will be frank: Nothing that girl says cant be explained by the combination of dieting+cardio. Last night i had stomach cramps, maybe it was cancer or just the bowl of Icecream i ate ;) When u are dieting u are forcing your body into a state which is unnatural. Occam's razor the simpliest explenation is usually the best. You can check up with a doc but I wont worry too much
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Grinder777 wrote: »
    Ok I will be frank: Nothing that girl says cant be explained by the combination of dieting+cardio. Last night i had stomach cramps, maybe it was cancer or just the bowl of Icecream i ate ;) When u are dieting u are forcing your body into a state which is unnatural. Occam's razor the simpliest explenation is usually the best. You can check up with a doc but I wont worry too much

If this was a one-off, maybe....but OP said this has been going on for a few weeks.

For me, more than 2 days of something new going on with my body is cause for concern. Yes, most things pass, but if the symptoms are persisting, a doctor visit is the way to go. Better to be safe.

~Lyssa
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Agreed - those experiences could be because she's changed her lifestyle, but it makes sense to rule out anything serious. In the UK you can just book an appointment at a pharmacy and they can test you for diabetes if you don't want to bother your GP straight off.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    sounds like the symptoms my husband first had when he was diagnosed with diabetes, best get checked to rule it out before taking any advice from the internet
  • Grinder777
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

Agreed - those experiences could be because she's changed her lifestyle, but it makes sense to rule out anything serious. In the UK you can just book an appointment at a pharmacy and they can test you for diabetes if you don't want to bother your GP straight off.

Agreed^^
    I go to my anual checkup, just because its free. She just came across as somebody who worries, there is no reason for that. I mean she faints/shakes AND its gets better after she eats, what more off a sign do you need?

A commen doc would ask the same questions and stops listening after she tells him, the bloodwork might be worth it.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    OP I gather you will be going to see your doctor, one thing to consider is sjogrens syndrome particular if you already have an autoimmune issue. Dry mouth can be caused by many things, if you have had tender glands around the ears/neck in the past few months or so and are also having difficulty swallowing with the dry mouth...could be sjogrens.

My onset of sjogrens was tender glands a few weeks before what I thought was excessive thirst, but it wasn't thirst it was an extremely dry mouth that progressed to not being able to swallow food without washing it down with water, thankfully the symptoms have abated and while I still have dry mouth its not so bad as the onset.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you sought the advice of your physician?
  • Grinder777
    Options
    My onset of sjogrens was tender glands a few weeks before what I thought was excessive thirst, but it wasn't thirst it was an extremely dry mouth that progressed to not being able to swallow food without washing it down with water, thankfully the symptoms have abated and while I still have dry mouth its not so bad as the onset.

If you only got an Hammer evrerything starts looking like a nail...
    You have had some bad experiences. You obviosly are trying to protect the OP, the likeliehodd thats its something seriously is below 1% not enough to worry about thats my meaning

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Could also be pregnancy. If you're peeing a lot you'll obviously be thirstier. With my first I told my husband I needed to test because I was either pregnant or diabetic...
  • hazeleyez26
    hazeleyez26 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Grinder777, you do know that it's not good practice to judge someone when you don't know them? I'm actually far from a person that worries over every little thing and so stubborn that I will not go see a doctor unless I absolutely have to. I've gotten shaky on and off my whole life when I don't eat enough.. But it was the worst I ever had it the other day and someone asked if I was diabetic.. So it made me wonder if I was or maybe it just happens to everyone. My hands get shaky even if I've eaten enough.

I've been watching calories for almost two months now and just had the excessive thirst the past couple weeks. I'm not stressed over it but was wondering if anyone else has had these experiences.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Grinder777, you do know that it's not good practice to judge someone when you don't know them? I'm actually far from a person that worries over every little thing and so stubborn that I will not go see a doctor unless I absolutely have to. I've gotten shaky on and off my whole life when I don't eat enough.. But it was the worst I ever had it the other day and someone asked if I was diabetic.. So it made me wonder if I was or maybe it just happens to everyone. My hands get shaky even if I've eaten enough.

I've been watching calories for almost two months now and just had the excessive thirst the past couple weeks. I'm not stressed over it but was wondering if anyone else has had these experiences.

I would get it checked it, however. Just to be on the safe side. Take care!!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you should get it checked. It may be nothing , but it is always better to be safe. Diets, or losing weight can kickstart other things. When I lost 25 lbs on a high protein diet, I wound up messing my bodies PH and formed kidney stones. This time, my kidney and liver enzymes went all wonky for about a month.