Frozen/canned vegetables - how do I make this stuff edible?

Options
Hello!

I've just moved to a part of the country where fresh produce is in very short supply and is astronomically expensive relative to what I am used to spending and my current budget.

What's left as an option is basically frozen produce (I just cannot stomach canned veg besides beans). Also isn't cheap but will at least keep for a longer term so at least I'm not wasting money via spoilage.

How in God's name does one make frozen vegetables palatable?! I typically roast my veggies with herbs and S&P for flavor and I'm not sure how to go about doing that with frozen, or if it's even possible. I can only handle so many microwave steamed broccoli florets before I lose my marbles.

Are there secrets to taming frozen veg that I'm just not aware of? Suggestions or advice are much appreciated!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Everything taste with a little butter.
  • veephil31
    veephil31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How are you cooking them? In the microwave I think they come out nasty, though I usually boil frozen veggies and spice the same as I do fresh and have no problems.
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add that when I stick frozen stuff in a casserole or crockpot meal it's just fine.

@veephil31 I started out microwaving because I bought the steamfresh packages but they're fricken terrible. So I just steam them in a tablespoon of water in a pan on the stove till they thaw. I do salt and pepper etc, but I guess what I miss is the roasted texture that I can't figure out how to replicate when I'm starting from frozen.

@queenliz99 Preach. Butter is the savior of all sad foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh I don't know. I use steam in bag veggies when they are on sale at $1 quite a bit, and I just microwave them. I usually just end up mashing the cauliflower ones with a wedge of laughing cow cheese and some herbs, and I like salt, pepper, a bit of butter and grated parmesan on broccoli/winter blends. Carrots, peas, and corn I don't mind eating plain. The rest... I just don't buy that much. Let's just say I eat a lot of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower...

It's the same here though, hard to justify paying $2 a pound for fresh broccoli (that comes with stems, which I don't like), or a medium cauliflower for $3, when you can buy a 12oz bag of frozen florets for $1.

I buy fresh peppers and onions though because there's just no way I'm buying that awful frozen stuff.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Seasoning!
  • moonagedaydream72
    Options
    I like to cook my frozen vegetables in a stir-fry with garlic and onions, or sometimes a low-calorie sauce. A touch of olive oil can go a long way, too.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I dunno about most people but I have a little cup of bacon grease in my fridge. ..yes I said bacon grease not baking soda...anyways...you melt this stuff down...you drizzle it...and ooooh baby it makes anything and everything taste like bacon...note if you do not like bacon this is a horrible idea.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If you want that roast veggie experience, try nuking them in the microwave until thawed, drain off the excess liquid, and then roast as usual. I usually add a heavy hand of italian herb mix, rosemary, and some good quality olive oil to mine.

Also, experiment with different veggie blends. There are some I really like (california blend- squash, cauliflower, red peppers, and carrots is one of my fave) but others I really can't stand (like "soup mix" with corn, peas, green beans and those little cubes of carrot.)

And a stock of soy sauce, salsa and marinara can go a long way to cover a myriad of vegetable sins!
  • daremightythings
    Options
    If you want that roast veggie experience, try nuking them in the microwave until thawed, drain off the excess liquid, and then roast as usual. I usually add a heavy hand of italian herb mix, rosemary, and some good quality olive oil to mine.
    I will absolutely try this! Thank you so much :smiley: I've started a container herb garden for the express purpose of being able to season things, and good quality olive oil is a pantry staple for me.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Also +1 for anything bacon related.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I use frozen veg all the time for soups & stews ..... or use the "steamer" bags for side dishes .... a little bit of butter, and liberal use of seasonings & herbs helps a lot, too.
  • MissyMilda
    MissyMilda Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just roasting them as normal? I don't roast broccoli (prefer it steamed) but I often chop and freeze fresh carrots and parsnips with a view to roasting them later. I think they actually roast faster than fresh veg (something to do with how the freezing affects the cell walls maybe?). I tend to toss in a little oil and season with dried herbs before freezing. When I want to roast them, I just arrange them on a tray and cook the same as if they were fresh. (In case it matters, I don't roast them alongside meat.)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Garlic and a little drizzle of butter can make any vegetable tasty! I keep lots of herbs and spices on hand, too. I love fresh veggies without anything on them, but frozen tend to need something else.
  • daremightythings
    Options
    @MissyMilda I haven't been brave enough to roast them straight from frozen but your post has given me confidence! I will give it a go this week.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Caramelize onions in a pan with a little butter or other oil. Put that on top of your veggies. Also try adding any of the following: breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, other cheese, any sauce or gravy, including spaghetti sauce.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MissyMilda wrote: »
    Have you tried just roasting them as normal? I don't roast broccoli (prefer it steamed) but I often chop and freeze fresh carrots and parsnips with a view to roasting them later. I think they actually roast faster than fresh veg (something to do with how the freezing affects the cell walls maybe?). I tend to toss in a little oil and season with dried herbs before freezing. When I want to roast them, I just arrange them on a tray and cook the same as if they were fresh. (In case it matters, I don't roast them alongside meat.)

That's interesting. I haven't dared trying either, but wouldn't they be too wet to roast properly?
  • daremightythings
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Caramelize onions in a pan with a little butter or other oil. Put that on top of your veggies. Also try adding any of the following: breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, other cheese, any sauce or gravy, including spaghetti sauce.
    Ohh I love the onion idea. The boyfriend will definitely agree!
  • MissyMilda
    MissyMilda Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    That's interesting. I haven't dared trying either, but wouldn't they be too wet to roast properly?

Not really, unless they are encased in ice or something! :smile: If they've been flash frozen after harvest, they should only be a little frosted and that would evaporate - like with oven fries or frozen pizza or similar. Maybe try a few as a test in case your frozen veg are processed differently! I'd hate to ruin your dinner! Over here in Tesco etc. it's very common to have frozen veg for roasting to save prep time for the traditional Sunday roast; I just figured if Tesco can do it, so can I! :smiley:

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    OP, have you considered canning your own veggies.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/15930/side-dish/sauces-and-condiments/canning-and-preserving/

I have done this and it can't be beat.
  • daremightythings
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    OP, have you considered canning your own veggies.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/15930/side-dish/sauces-and-condiments/canning-and-preserving/

I have done this and it can't be beat.
    I would absolutely do this if I could access/afford fresh. Green beans are regularly $2+/lb, asparagus (not that you'd can it) is $4/lb, even fricken cucumbers are upwards of $1 EACH. Farmer's markets prices are worse, sadly :/

That's why I'm trying to learn to love frozen, because they're sort of more affordable.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    MissyMilda wrote: »

The oven temperature and the cooking time will be a little different from starting fresh. You will need to experiment.
    I spray or brush (or use my fingers) a little oil on the veggies before putting them in the oven. The oil improves the texture.
    Also I turn them over half way through-- (for texture).
    Alternatively, one time I put the veggies in a gallon sized plastic baggie with one Tablespoon of oil and shook everything until the oil was well distributed on the veggies.
    After a while, people get more comfortable. It is ok to mess up or for some foods to come out non-perfect.