It's a New TV Season, But Here's Why You Might Want to Look Away

Options
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/27/tv-health-risks/72562994/

"'There is some evidence that the resting metabolic rate is actually lower when you watch TV, compared to some other sedentary behaviors like reading or driving,' he says."

"But others say there's not yet enough evidence to support any specific limit on TV time or, for that matter, overall sitting time. "We can say that the more you limit extended periods of sitting, the better," says Peter Katzmarzyk, an obesity and diabetes researcher at Louisiana State University. And, no matter how much time you spend sitting, it's still important to aim for 150 minutes a week or more of moderate to vigorous activity, such as brisk walking or running – guidelines that are backed by strong science, he says."

Not surprising, but interesting none the less.

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/27/tv-health-risks/72562994/

"'There is some evidence that the resting metabolic rate is actually lower when you watch TV, compared to some other sedentary behaviors like reading or driving,' he says."

"But others say there's not yet enough evidence to support any specific limit on TV time or, for that matter, overall sitting time. "We can say that the more you limit extended periods of sitting, the better," says Peter Katzmarzyk, an obesity and diabetes researcher at Louisiana State University. And, no matter how much time you spend sitting, it's still important to aim for 150 minutes a week or more of moderate to vigorous activity, such as brisk walking or running – guidelines that are backed by strong science, he says."

Not surprising, but interesting none the less.

I would sincerely argue that the change in metabolic rate they're talking about is insignificant at best to overall caloric burn.

I think the more important correlation is that of people who watch excessive amounts of television and also don't exercise. I have no problem losing weight and maintaining my health while still binge watching Netflix, but the difference is that I also run and maintain a calorie deficit.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Eh, I only really make time to watch Doctor Who. I'll live with my RMR being low for an hour a week.