Just discovered I'm 5'3.5 and not 5'5

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    It might sound silly to most but all throughout my life I thought I measured 5'5, its even on my drivers license!! Last monday I went to the Dr's for my physical appt. and I over heard the nurse chart out loud saying height 5'3.5. At that moment I was like nonsense I'm 5'5! She said ok lets measure u again.....and to my SUPRISE 5'3.5 it was.
    Now it makes sense how I have calculated my calorie goals all wrong and it makes a difference on my weightloss efforts. Now I can see why I am losing at such a small rate.
    I have since changed my settings and we shall see. I have also tightened up my logging. Time will tell.

Not so fast! Was this first thing in the morning or later in the day?

Being data-obsessed, I decided to check my height the other afternoon.

I was 4 cm shorter than I thought! (It said I was 171 cm.)

Oh noes, I'll have to eat less!!!

Going to sleep, I remembered what my (tall, and proud of it) sister says, "Your spine compresses during the day, so you're shorter by the end of it". I decided to put that to the test in the morning.

Sunday morning: I'm actually 1 cm taller than I thought I was! (176 cm.) :lol:

Maybe you might want to check your height when you wake up.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I asked my husband to measure me because I've always thought I was 5' 4.5". i read somebody's post where they said they'd gained an inch when they lost weight because they stood up straighter or something, my husband took it as a challenge and got out the level so we could be sure it was correct when he marked the wall. I'm still 5' 4.5". Nice to have it confirmed though.

Lol, my husband pulled out the level when he measured me, too.
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Not so fast! Was this first thing in the morning or later in the day?

Being data-obsessed, I decided to check my height the other afternoon.

I was 4 cm shorter than I thought! (It said I was 171 cm.)

Oh noes, I'll have to eat less!!!

Going to sleep, I remembered what my (tall, and proud of it) sister says, "Your spine compresses during the day, so you're shorter by the end of it". I decided to put that to the test in the morning.

Sunday morning: I'm actually 1 cm taller than I thought I was! (176 cm.) :lol:

Maybe you might want to check your height when you wake up.
    [/quote]

Well unfortunate for me but my appt was early a.m ....So that means I'm even shorter at night! Lol oh boy
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    You had me worried, so I checked. Phew. Still 165cm. I would feel weird if I were anything else.
  • suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    You had me worried, so I checked. Phew. Still 165cm. I would feel weird if I were anything else.

Yup, I sure feel weird now. For me 5'5 WAS my normal now knowing that I'm shorter is just way weird.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »

Yup, I sure feel weird now. For me 5'5 WAS my normal now knowing that I'm shorter is just way weird.

I can imagine it would be! Hopefully it won't take too long to get used to the new normal :)
  • Treasureslide
    Treasureslide Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ha ha i did the same thought I was 5 ft 7 all my adult life turns out I am 5' 9! luky for me more calories, and a more realistic weight goal... I thought i had to be 130lbs which would be skeletal on my frame. hurrah weight goal now 150lbs.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ha ha i did the same thought I was 5 ft 7 all my adult life turns out I am 5' 9! luky for me more calories, and a more realistic weight goal... I thought i had to be 130lbs which would be skeletal on my frame. hurrah weight goal now 150lbs.

Congrats to you!
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It is true that you are slightly shorter at the end of the day than at the beginning. Gravity leads to slight compression of the discs between your verterbra.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Urg :( I was inspiration by this threat to get myself measured today when I had my doctors appointment. I was sure I was 5'6 because my doctor 4 years ago told me that!!! Today I measured at 167 cm which is 5.479!!!! I was absolutely shocked and devastated. I am a bit confused if I would be 5'4 or 5'5 from the numbers after the 5'7, the (79). Would I stay 5'4, or does it then round up to 5'5 if anyone knows what I mean. :) I was mainly devastated because that means I have to eat less food then I thought. It does make sense why my calorie goal hasn't been working for me lately and why I've been losing slowly. But I am glad to have my eyes opened and realize the truth. :)
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Urg :( I was inspiration by this threat to get myself measured today when I had my doctors appointment. I was sure I was 5'6 because my doctor 4 years ago told me that!!! Today I measured at 167 cm which is 5.479!!!! I was absolutely shocked and devastated. I am a bit confused if I would be 5'4 or 5'5 from the numbers after the 5'7, the (79). Would I stay 5'4, or does it then round up to 5'5 if anyone knows what I mean. :) I was mainly devastated because that means I have to eat less food then I thought. It does make sense why my calorie goal hasn't been working for me lately and why I've been losing slowly. But I am glad to have my eyes opened and realize the truth. :)

I'm 5' 4.5". On forms where I can't put the half inch, I always round up. Since you're even closer to 5'5" than I am, I'd definitely round up if I were you.

Thank u so much :) I was wondering to put my height on mfp as 5'4 or 5'5. I hope 5'5 will be alright and give me a accurate calorie goal. I also have to readjust other things like my calorie intake. I had set my end goal at 130 pounds since that would be a ideal weight for someone that is 5'6, but now I'm not sure if 130 is ideal for someone that is 5'5 :(
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I'm 5' 4.5". On forms where I can't put the half inch, I always round up. Since you're even closer to 5'5" than I am, I'd definitely round up if I were you.

Thank u so much :) I was wondering to put my height on mfp as 5'4 or 5'5. I hope 5'5 will be alright and give me a accurate calorie goal. I also have to readjust other things like my calorie intake. I had set my end goal at 130 pounds since that would be a ideal weight for someone that is 5'6, but now I'm not sure if 130 is ideal for someone that is 5'5 :(

Or just use cm, which are more accurate. :wink:

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen at the doctor the other day. She read out 70" and a smidge. I'm like, wait, that's 5'10 and she's giving me a bit extra. All my life I thought I was 5'11. I guess I'm shrinking.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I feel like I want to measure myself now... I think I'm 5'6, but now I'm questioning it.

Lol, I told the nurse "are u kidding me, I'm shrinking. How is this possible?!?

You never know, haha go for it. You might be in for a suprise. Or not :)

yeah I found out I am a bit shorter (crap I am already short) than I thought I was recently. BOO.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Just checked.

Nope. Still 5'1". Damn.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Maybe get someone to measure you with an actual tape measure OP.
    I was measured at my local doctor's recently and came in an inch shorter.
    But the Nurse said it could be because of their height measuring thingy (not being that accurate) - so i got my partner to measure me with a tape measure....and yep, i was the height i originally thought i was. :)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I read this last night and bookmarked it as a reminder to measure myself in the morning. I always put that I'm 5'3" and I am indeed closer to 5'3.5". Ah well. xD
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I was officially measured twice - by different doctors for different reasons, I was 5'. The tallest female in my family.
    About 30years later, 12 yr ago, I was again officially measured, 5'1!!!
    wtf, one can expect to shrink as one ages not grow.

I loved being 5', now I feel average.

When I was back in the UK visiting my family this year I felt like a giant.

Cheers, h.

You weren't fully grown at 20. I wasn't either. I grew another inch my senior year of college. I wouldn't have known except it was all in my legs, and my pants were suddenly quite a bit too short. Later physicals confirmed it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I found I shrunk half an inch from weight loss, but then once I started doing more exercise I grew back that extra half inch. I really think my posture improved when I started doing core muscle building. It seemed to all be in my spine, and I think I can tell my rib cage is higher than it was... like there's more separation between my rib cage and my hips now.

I also grew about half an inch in college, FWIW in case anyone is still using their measurements from when they were 18.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I went to the doctors in August and the girl measured me at 5'3". I was like NO I'm 5'4" and always have been. She insisted though and proceeded to write 5'3" in my chart. I was annoyed because I really need that extra inch LOL! I can't possibly be shrinking at only 37 years old so hopefully I just had poor posture. :smiley: