SOUP RECIPES!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Pandalove_goes_vegan
    Options
    That is super easy and great for tight budget! Thank you I have been looking for good low calorie tomato soups :smile:
    My favorite easy soup is my own take on creamy tomato basil. The base is a can of Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes. Throw it in the blender and add whatever seasonings you like/have (salt and pepper, hot peppers, basil, curry, garlic, onion, italian seasoning, etc.). You can also add balsamic vinegar if you like it more acidic. The key, though, is to add some sort of creaminess to it. Some good lower calorie options are laughing cow cheese wedges, light cream cheese, Bolthouse farms dressing (I like to use the blue cheese version), etc. If you have the calories for it, olive oil is a really tasty addition, too. Blend it all together, heat it up and you're done! When you're serving it, you can add toppings. I like blue cheese or feta crumbles and pumpkin seeds or pine nuts, but toasted bread is excellent too.

It's a favorite in our house and so easy to do with pantry staples. Enjoy!

• Pandalove_goes_vegan
    Options
    Thank you. Great ideas I'll be adding to my recipe collection
    mmm I love African peanut stew!!! I put chicken in it because I like meat too.

I've made a few pots of white chicken chili recently--cumin, garlic powder, onion, honey, canned tomatillos and green chiles, chicken broth and either chicken thighs or breasts, white beans and salt / pepper to taste. I usually just put some chicken breasts in with the broth, tomatillos and green chiles on low for 6 hours or so, sauté some onion until slightly sweet and dump in the rest of the ingredients just to warm them. Honey to taste--I love it especially if you want to add some cayenne to spice it up (which I do!) I love it served with either tortilla chips and sour cream on top or with fried / lightly salted corn tortillas on the side.

Butternut squash soup is awesome too--just roast some squash and onion / garlic if you want, blend it when soft, add chicken stock to thin it out if needed, or heavy cream if you want a richer flavor, salt, pepper and serve with homemade croutons on top! So good.

• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    Some favorites:

http://noblepig.com/2013/03/dill-pickle-soup (I use greek yogurt instead of sour cream- pickle soup sounds weird but if you like pickles even a little, it's really good and more like a creamy potato soup)

I had heard of dill pickle soup before, but never tried it because I thought it sounded bizarre. When I first saw the link all I could think was I am someone who like pickles way more than a little. I finally gave in (I substituted non-fat yogurt for the sour cream) and it was absolutely glorious. The only problem I have with it is that I am super stuffed and I still have the urge to go eat all the left overs (my husband can't stand pickles) and lick the container clean afterwards. Thank you for posting!

• dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I made a really nice vegan lentil minestrone-thing tonight. I'd say that I made around 8 generous servings at around 250 calories each. Cooking time is probably 60 to 80mins, mostly so the soup can simmer.

10ml olive oil
    450g yellow onion (like 1.5 onions)
    175g celery (3 stalks)
    500g carrots (5/6)
    400g zucchini (1ish)
    2 to 4 cloves of garlic

Potatos would be super good too, and sweet corn. Or turnips - any fall/winter veg I think. Chop veggies as desired. Throw it all in a big pot and let the onions and celery cook a little. You might want to add a cup of water after after things heat up, since there's not much oil in this recipe.

1tbsp basil
    1tbsp oregano
    1 or 2tsp red chili flakes
    1/2 bay leaves

Salt and pepper to taste

One carton of vegetable stock (900ml or so)
    14oz crushed tomatoes
    14oz diced tomatoes

Let the veggies simmer for like 20 mins. I like to stagger adding the lentils, since red lentils turn all soggy when you cook them for too long.

200g red lentils
    200g green lentils

Throw like 150g of the red lentils in, and let them cook for about 20 mins. You might need to add a cup or two more water. When they're cooked, take around a quarter of the solids and some of the broth and throw them in a blender. Then add that puree back in. Tbh you could probably puree the whole thing and it would be really good (and less rustic looking.)

Add the rest of the red lentils and the green lentils. The green lentils will probably take 30mins or so to cook, depending on how soft you like them.

2tbsp lemon juice
    A dash or two nutmeg
    Spinach or kale, chopped thin

for kale, you probably want to give it a minute or two to cook and tenderize, but you can add spinach at the last minute.

Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top and eat it with garlic bread :)
  • Pandalove_goes_vegan
    Options
    Will definitely try. Thanks.
    I made a really nice vegan lentil minestrone-thing tonight. I'd say that I made around 8 generous servings at around 250 calories each. Cooking time is probably 60 to 80mins, mostly so the soup can simmer.

10ml olive oil
    450g yellow onion (like 1.5 onions)
    175g celery (3 stalks)
    500g carrots (5/6)
    400g zucchini (1ish)
    2 to 4 cloves of garlic

Potatos would be super good too, and sweet corn. Or turnips - any fall/winter veg I think. Chop veggies as desired. Throw it all in a big pot and let the onions and celery cook a little. You might want to add a cup of water after after things heat up, since there's not much oil in this recipe.

1tbsp basil
    1tbsp oregano
    1 or 2tsp red chili flakes
    1/2 bay leaves

Salt and pepper to taste

One carton of vegetable stock (900ml or so)
    14oz crushed tomatoes
    14oz diced tomatoes

Let the veggies simmer for like 20 mins. I like to stagger adding the lentils, since red lentils turn all soggy when you cook them for too long.

200g red lentils
    200g green lentils

Throw like 150g of the red lentils in, and let them cook for about 20 mins. You might need to add a cup or two more water. When they're cooked, take around a quarter of the solids and some of the broth and throw them in a blender. Then add that puree back in. Tbh you could probably puree the whole thing and it would be really good (and less rustic looking.)

Add the rest of the red lentils and the green lentils. The green lentils will probably take 30mins or so to cook, depending on how soft you like them.

2tbsp lemon juice
    A dash or two nutmeg
    Spinach or kale, chopped thin

for kale, you probably want to give it a minute or two to cook and tenderize, but you can add spinach at the last minute.

Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top and eat it with garlic bread :)