100+ lbs overweight

Options
Does being 100+ lbs overweight garuantee that I will have lots of loose skin?

Or does that only happen to people who lose the weight super fast with little/ no exercise?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think there are no guarantees with loose skin.

Just lose the weight and find out is about the only way to know for sure.

But loose skin vs 100 pounds of fat. Not really much of a competition.

Pick loose skin.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've often wondered this. I'm trying to workout and to tighten up by using weights as I lose. I'm worried about the same thing. Everyone on TV that loses a lot of weight ends up with skin surgery.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    have lost 71 lbs... had some loose skin on arms but with daily moisturizing it is firming up.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    no loose skin on belly... and i have lost about 10 inches from abdomen.... and i was really scared that i would look ridiculous... but with slow weight loss it isn't a huge issue.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Good question. I've often wondered this. I'm trying to workout and to tighten up by using weights as I lose. I'm worried about the same thing. Everyone on TV that loses a lot of weight ends up with skin surgery.

That's kind of my question though. Like on the biggest loser and extreme weight lose..sure, those people are severely overweight and have a lot of weight to lose, but they always lose it sssuuupper fast. So I always just attribute that to them losing the weight so fast, so because of that their skin doesn't have time to catch up? Idk. I guess we shall see.

I guess the reason I'm asking is because this girl on my Facebook just lost about 75+ lbs and has a lot of loose skin. Granted, I don't know if she's exercising or if she lost the weight really fast or anything like that .
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I think there are no guarantees with loose skin.

Just lose the weight and find out is about the only way to know for sure.

But loose skin vs 100 pounds of fat. Not really much of a competition.

Pick loose skin.

Oh yes! I would most definitely pick loose skin over 100+ lbs of fat. No question!
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    cwagar123 wrote: »
    have lost 71 lbs... had some loose skin on arms but with daily moisturizing it is firming up.

Wow! Congrats! That is good news :)
  • Merkavar
    Options

People I see on TV go extreme losing what normal people lose in a month, in a week.

Probably not a good role model.

I hear lifting weights, being well hydrated and age/genetics helps with lose skin.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Moisturizing isn't going to do anything about loose skin. It simply doesn't go deep enough, even if it could otherwise have an effect.

I've lost 122 pounds and I have minimal loose skin and I have to be bending over to notice much. At this point, it's not enough to worry about and it hasn't had much of a chance to tighten.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Genetics play a roll in this as well.
    This is what my stomach looks like after 2 kids and losing over 100 lbs:

td6ur8n4jro5.jpg

• Merkavar
    Options
    Moisturizing isn't going to do anything about loose skin. It simply doesn't go deep enough, even if it could otherwise have an effect.

I've lost 122 pounds and I have minimal loose skin and I have to be bending over to notice much. At this point, it's not enough to worry about and it hasn't had much of a chance to tighten.

Yeah got to give it time. I heard 2-3 years for it to tighten as much as it can.

I don't think I can do anything about loose skin on my stomach other than using clothEs pegs to make a pouch to store things like my phone and wallet.

But my arms and legs, I think a little extra muscle should fix those.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Age is the biggest factor. Young people have much more elastic skin, so their skin bounces back better. But, it's a crapshoot.

I never yo-yo dieted. I lost slowly. I eat healthy foods and exercise and live in a humid climate, so moisturizing isn't much of an issue, even if it made a difference (which it doesn't because the stuff only has a superficial effect and cannot get down low to where the problems lie), but in the winter, I moisturize if my skin gets dry. I did resistance training, which also doesn't make any difference, but if it did, I'm covered there, too. Did all the right stuff.

I have lost 93 pounds so far and didn't have even the beginnings of loose skin until I'd lost about sixty. Now, I have loads. It's starting to cause physical issues and I may require some skin removal to avoid them. I'm not big on surgery. I hate it and have had enough. Plus, every surgery carries risks, so I will really try to not to do it. But the skin is causing multiple issues and it's getting to be a literal pain in the *kitten*, so it may happen. I shudder to think how much worse it'll be in another 25-30 pounds.

Apart from the physical issues, it's just disgusting. Very gross. I'm not much happier with my body than I was 93 pounds ago because the skin is just so gross. But I feel better and am absolutely healthier and that is what is important.

People say it firms up over time. I've never read anything that indicates that it will. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. But people say it's happened for them, so I have like 0.00000200003% of hope that mine will, lol.

Even with all the gross extra skin and issues it brings, I'd do it all over.

The improvement is health is worth the excess skin!!!!!!!!!!!

It's worth doing!! :)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You won't know until you lose all that weight. First priority should be losing that weight. When you are over that hill then we can talk. At this point we are all guessing, why guess when you can do something concrete like lose the weight and feel better about yourself.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    You won't know until you lose all that weight. First priority should be losing that weight. When you are over that hill then we can talk. At this point we are all guessing, why guess when you can do something concrete like lose the weight and feel better about yourself.

This is very true :) thank you all so much for your input!
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The answer will vary depending on the person, the elasticity of your particular skin, your muscle to fat ratio (or vice versa); meaning some people are flabby and some are solid, etc. Too many things can play a factor. But I agree with the poster stating.... its better to have loose skin than 100 excess pounds.
    Best of luck on your journey and may you have an abundance of support!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    It's partially genetics and age, but not losing weight too fast, strength training or bodyweight routines while you lose weight, and eating adequate protein should help. I believe other posters have said they'd been at their goal weight for a while before their skin finished tightening up.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-minimize-loose-skin-during-weight-loss-1696145766
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say - I think every one is different.

I know someone who was around 100 pounds overweight. This person lost the 100 lbs and is toned and as smooth as anything! When I started this process, I was only around 30 lbs overweight. I've lost that 30 lbs but I have lately noticed creasy, sagging skin on my stomach which I really don't like - but it is what it is!

I'm going to focus on weight related exercises and just go with it. The main thing is, I've lost that unhealthy weight and I'm fit and strong now.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am also needing to lose 100 lbs. Worried about the loose skin. However, I am going to take it as slow as possible to minimize having loose skin. I have heard that surgery is very expensive. :/