Anyone else dealing with grief weight?

Options
Hi all,

I gained a good bit of weight when I was caring for my husband through cancer, and more after he died (a little over a year ago). For a long time I really didn't care what I looked like, and just enjoyed the comfort of eating, but now I find that I want to feel energetic and healthy again, and to feel comfortable and fit. And, yes, I'd like to look good again.

Would love to meet some people with similar stories.

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Caring for anyone with a terminal illness is so incredibly hard, I cared for my grandfather at home in his last months and I could not imagine having to do that for my husband.
    I'm an emotional eater too and gained some weight during that time, it's easy to forget to take care of yourself when all your time is consumed caring for someone you love.
    You deserve to take time to care for yourself and feel fit and feel good again.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    After finishing college and losing 100lbs in a year, and then maintaining for a year... I lost my first pregnancy and began to put on weight. After 6 losses, 8 years later, I am a blimp. Cherry vanilla ice cream may have felt better in the moment (the cartons did not care if I cried into them), but not so much now. I got to the point of being bitter and angry and just DID. NOT. CARE. Fortunately, all things pass. I will never forget, the pain will never go away completely, but I learned to manage. I had just gotten good into the gym, lost 20lbs and 30+ inches when my husband broke his leg and, after many complications that required 6 surgeries etc etc, lost my way while taking care of him/working to support us. I'm finally at a point that I have decided enough is enough. Regardless if the world ends, I need to take care of myself! So here I am.. back at it.

Since I can't have kids, I have decided that I WILL HAVE a nice, healthy body to be proud of and feel good about- not this jello jiggler that I am rolling in now. ;)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I cared for my mother for 5 years. It took a toll on both my physical and mental health. It's the hardest thing anyone can go through, in my opinion. During those 5 years I also lost my Father, three months later my Brother, my two best friends, my beloved dog and then finally my Mom. I had to make the decision to take my Dad off the ventilator and to sign my Brother over to hospice care. During those 5 years and for 5 years after my Mom passed, food was my ONLY comfort. Then one day out of nowhere it hit me... What are you doing to yourself? ??!!!! If you keep on going like you are, you are going to kill yourself with food and not moving. It took a year and a half, but I lost 95 pounds, am very active, am finally at a healthy weight and I am caring about myself again. Grief is horrible. But now it's time to take care of you....You DESERVE it!!!!!
  • bozzi2002
    bozzi2002 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are a hero, no doubt you had rough time, the important thing that now you take care of yourself, it's not less important than taking care of others and my opinion the first condition for doing it ( taking care of others ) well
    You came to the period of time when you can deal with your health also. Good luck!
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know this may not be the same, but I put on about 100 lbs in 6 months after my Golden Retriever passed. He was my heart dog! All mine and a HUGE momma's boy! I loved him dearly. I cried for 3 months every night after he passed. It was very hard on me. I still have problems even after 2 years. I've never had anything affect me like this and I've been divorced 2 times! Grief is very hard!

I now have 90 lbs to lose.
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm definitely dealing with grief weight right now. In March I lost both of my grandparents AND a close friend within weeks of each other. Basically every week we were attending a funeral.

After that, I stopped caring. I was definitely depressed and I totally lost motivation to do anything. Cue 6 months later and I'm 40 pounds heavier. :(

I'm still dealing with the grief, but now I'm focused on dealing with it in other ways and trying to get back to health.
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    laurabegee wrote: »
    Hi all,

I gained a good bit of weight when I was caring for my husband through cancer, and more after he died (a little over a year ago). For a long time I really didn't care what I looked like, and just enjoyed the comfort of eating, but now I find that I want to feel energetic and healthy again, and to feel comfortable and fit. And, yes, I'd like to look good again.

Would love to meet some people with similar stories.

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss.

Several years ago I had lost a lot of weight after having my first child, and once I got to my goal, my cousin died tragically. I started gaining weight, until I had gained it all back.

I just finally got to goal again after my 2nd child, and now I'm dealing with a death in the family again, so now I'm trying to do things differently this time.

Good luck on your journey. You can do it!