Lunges alternatives

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
Lately my right ankle (suffers from arthritis) has been bothering me when doing lunges. It is not about the weight, it is about the position when this foot is on the back. Unless I am very very careful, it aches when pushing, something about the angle does not agree at this point with this joint. Leg press is out also, for the same reason and so is anything requiring balancing on one foot (e.g. pistol squats). I do not want to be stuck with only squats for legs, I need more variety. Any ideas?

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Other lifts for legs off the top of my head: Deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, Single leg Romanian deadlifts, split squats, sled pushes, glute-ham developers, hamstring curls, leg extensions, front squats, and I am sure there are more.

Why can you do squats but not single leg work? The ankle flexion should be the same. Is it the pressure that causes pain or the flexion in the joint? Also, what do your prehab and warmup routines look like? Are you doing any specific work to get your ankles ready for the lifts?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    Other lifts for legs off the top of my head: Deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, Single leg Romanian deadlifts, split squats, sled pushes, glute-ham developers, hamstring curls, leg extensions, front squats, and I am sure there are more.

Why can you do squats but not single leg work? The ankle flexion should be the same. Is it the pressure that causes pain or the flexion in the joint? Also, what do your prehab and warmup routines look like? Are you doing any specific work to get your ankles ready for the lifts?

I have stability issues on one leg, so anything requiring single leg work is harder right now. It is the flexion of the joint, not pressure, or at least it feels so.
    I currently follow a stretching routine and negative calf raises for strengthening as instructed by the physical therapist, and I do start my workout with these.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What does your PT say about lifting lower body? Also, when you say you have stability issues on one leg do you mean one leg has stability issues or you are unbalanced when on one leg? If it is the latter you can use outside support to build up to that capability. In the end, no one online is going to be able to offer you better advice that a good PT that also knows and understands exercise-physiology (which is not all of them). I hope your ankle heals and good job on staying active through a chronic illness like arthritis.