Let's talk oats.

Options
Hi there,

I've recently been trying to get more variety in my meal choice, and have discovered to my surprise that I really like the texture of porridge!

I've found though that a sensible serving size isn't quite enough for me though. What do you add to your oats to bulk them up a bit. Both low and high calorie suggestions accepted.

Cheers.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Bigger serving of oats.
    Cream.
    Nut butter.
    Cookie butter.
    Speculoos.
    Cheesecake.
    Hot chocolate powder.
    Malted drink powder.
    Peanut butter cups or your favourite broken up chocolate bar.
    Grated carrot.
    Yogurt.
    Fruit.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you are looking towards making them more filling: Ground flax seed, chia seeds, toasted sesame seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds, nuts of any kinds, add an apple or pear which has been chopped in a food processor, add protein powder, pb 2.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have oats every morning. I cook in a ripe banana and 15-20g hazelnut meal. Or a grated apple and cinnamon. Or cinnamon apple juice, sultanas (soak them overnight). Love my oats!
  • watsup66
    watsup66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried layered oats? Get a container put layers, some oats followed by fruit slices and pot of yogurt. Put in fridge for the morning. To keep calories low I use 35g oats, one Mullerlite and berries or Stewed Apple. Following morning the oats will be swollen. I add a little hot water and give a good stir. Add more fruit if wanted on top with a sprinkle of brown sugar (1 teaspoon) just to flavour the oats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder and berries.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and blueberries. Yum!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    for fall canned pumpkin & pumpkin spice
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Add protein by making your oats with milk (instead of water) or stirring in yogurt.

Adding fat will help too. Nut butters or chopped nuts are good.

Fiber is also filling......I like adding fruit.

Growing oatmeal bowl......http://www.hungry-girl.com/recipes/apple-growing-oatmeal
    Although with this much cooking, the texture will change quite a bit.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate and Berries gets my vote. :)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, the only ones I've found that make thick oats too my liking are quest protein powders, and progressive or Prarie naturals brown rice protein powder. And always top it with a Tablespoon of peanut or almond butter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I add yogurt or greek yogurt, fruit, and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds. I might eat it with a side of rye toast and some nuts. This morning it was toasted almonds.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OH, and I may cook my steel cut oats with Red River cereal (a mixture of cracked wheat, cracked rye, and whole flax) half and half. Or add chia seeds. Or add dried fruit of some kind (currants, raisins, or dried cranberries).
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Dang, certainly a lot of solid suggestions here. I think tomorrow I will try adding a little protein powder and peanut butter, see how that works out for me. Thanks people.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sweet: I like to add cinnamon or maybe some apple pie spice, walnuts, pecans or pepita seeds, dried fruit (raisins, blueberries or cherries), brown sugar, a little butter and little milk.

Savory: Cook in broth, stir in some cooked chicken, veggies and some grated parmesan cheese. Or, add oats to bulk other stuff up, like cooked beans, soups, stews, etc.

My favorite use of oats is to make pumpkin, banana, apple, oatmeal protein bars. I usually bake up a batch every weekend for the week.

I was surprise to find I lived cold refrigerator) oats. One of my favorite recipes is pumpkin overnight oats. Mix and refrigerate overnight...

1/2 cp old fashioned oats
    1/2 cp any milk you want
    1/4 cp pumpkin puree
    1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    Raisins, walnuts and/or pepita seeds

rnczw4mgu44l.jpg

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I go with protein powder. Vanilla works really well with oats/porridge. Throw some fruit on there if your feeling exotic.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Only oatmeal i like is butterscotch oatmeal, it comes out creamy and best with whole milk IMO. been making it since mid 90's and it is still my favorite of all oatmeal versions i have tried since.

2cps of quacker original quick oats, 2 large eggs, 3 1/2 cp 2% milk, 1/2 cp clover honey and 4tbsp sweet butter (i use unsweeten). makes 4 servings to me (4-6 was original recipe serving suggestion). great delicious butterscotch oatmeal without the typical 1/2cp plus of brown sugar added so its not overly sweet.
    (stir eggs, milk & honey in saucepan over medium 5 mins / stir in oats & cook 5 mins or until done / remove from burner, add butter & cover for 5 mins / stir & serve). to reheat the leftovers, i put a wet paper towel on container, stick it in microwave at 50% power for about a minute in a half and add a little milk to it afterwards.

it is filling but, it is high calorie though! with brands i use, it comes out to;
    calories: 524
    carbs: 65
    fat: 20 (sats 11)
    protein: 16
    fiber: 4
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Butter, raisins, brown sugar and heavy whipping cream. For me, this means I haven't had oatmeal this way in a LONG time, as the calories are ridiculous for my goals. lol
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you add protein powder, doesn't it go all funky when you heat it up? :s
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup oats
    1/2 cup almond milk
    salt
    cook 3 minutes in microwave
    add 1 tbl spoon chia seeds and 1/3 cup walnuts
    cook 2 1/2 minutes more
    add fresh strawberries, blueberries and 1/2 banana.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you add protein powder, doesn't it go all funky when you heat it up? :s

I make steel cut oats in a rice cooker and add the protein powder (plus a bit more hot water if necessary) when it's finished.