When to Start Direct Arm Work (curls, etc)

Options
One of the rules/guidelines at Cressy Performance, one of the top strength and conditioning places in the US:

No direct arm work until you’re able to perform one strict, bodyweight chin-up (women) or five chin-ups (men)

http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/09/gym-etiquette-201/

Replies

• vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    my god some of those crossfit fails were horrifying
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Huh, my coach had me start biceps curl to unblock my pull-up. That was the weak link and within 3 weeks I had finally managed my first pull-up. There are exceptions to every rule, lol.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    Huh, my coach had me start biceps curl to unblock my pull-up. That was the weak link and within 3 weeks I had finally managed my first pull-up. There are exceptions to every rule, lol.

For sure there are exceptions. But a pretty good rule/guideline for most.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That's the most arbitrary rule of thumb I've seen in quite a while. But certainly they're basing it on some form of established science, right?

Right????

Hopefully the science will also explain why I'm not allowed to do triceps work until I can do five pull ups
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Strong logic from Cressy Performance :/
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Curls are THE mandatory beginner exercise. Science has proven it over and over.
  • DavPul
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Curls are THE mandatory beginner exercise. Science has proven it over and over.

Weighted crunches or GTFO
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Why not just concentrate on various compound exercises which work the arms instead of worrying about "direct arm work".
    Unless you are an advanced lifter you would be better off with a simple lifting routine.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I did direct arm work
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, focus on compound movements and your arms will have no problems growing. Rows are a great arm exercise, as are dips and any chest press.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Why not just concentrate on various compound exercises which work the arms instead of worrying about "direct arm work".

One reason is that outside the gym, the curling movement is fairly common when lifting heavy objects, so it's a valid movement to train. Personally i think it's kinda boring, so i add a shoulder press at the top of the curl. :+1:

• Packerjohn
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    That's the most arbitrary rule of thumb I've seen in quite a while. But certainly they're basing it on some form of established science, right?

Right????

Hopefully the science will also explain why I'm not allowed to do triceps work until I can do five pull ups

Author has formal education in exercise science and is co-owner of what is considered on of the top training facilities in the country. Probably had a decent idea of what gets the best results for most people. Also look at the strength and conditioning programs at universities. You won't see much bicep/tricep isolation work in those programs.

If you like the isolation work go for it but most likely you are not being as effective/efficient in your training as you could be.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Right????

Author has formal education in exercise science and is co-owner of what is considered on of the top training facilities in the country. Probably had a decent idea of what gets the best results for most people. Also look at the strength and conditioning programs at universities. You won't see much bicep/tricep isolation work in those programs.

If you like the isolation work go for it but most likely you are not being as effective/efficient in your training as you could be.

While he is formally educated and works at a great gym it is not true that you don't see isolation work in top universities. That is why his rule is geared towards beginners. Most university, national, and professional teams do isolation exercises to keep the whole body strong and capable of performing. A great example is that the Chinese and Russian weightlifting teams do curls, as well as other shoulder and isolation arm exercises.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    One of the rules/guidelines at Cressy Performance, one of the top strength and conditioning places in the US:

No direct arm work until you’re able to perform one strict, bodyweight chin-up (women) or five chin-ups (men)

http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/09/gym-etiquette-201/

Totally disagree with this.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have to do the chin-up before checking out the dumbbells for curls? Is it like swiping your library card to get a book?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You all get the joke, right? That article was only semi-serious. They deal with a lot of younger athletes (esp baseball players), and they are just emphasizing the need to built a solid strength foundation before spending time with accessory isolation work.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

Right????

While he is formally educated and works at a great gym it is not true that you don't see isolation work in top universities. That is why his rule is geared towards beginners. Most university, national, and professional teams do isolation exercises to keep the whole body strong and capable of performing. A great example is that the Chinese and Russian weightlifting teams do curls, as well as other shoulder and isolation arm exercises.

I would assume the members of the Chinese and Russian weightlifting teams as well as pro and college level athletes can do 5 pull ups.

The general programs for the pro/college teams will usually not include isolation exercises. Sure if someone has a specific issue identified they will program exercises to address that issue.

Agree he is addressing the people with little strength who are enamored with curls and kickbacks.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    You all get the joke, right? That article was only semi-serious. They deal with a lot of younger athletes (esp baseball players), and they are just emphasizing the need to built a solid strength foundation before spending time with accessory isolation work.

Of course the article is tongue in cheek, but this has also developed a dogmatic following over the last few years. In large part the following is thanks to guys like Rippetoe and the screaming horde of Crossfitters. I agree beginners would do well to put down the twenty pound dumbbells and work on chin ups, they should also think about leaving the pull downs alone and learning to do pull-ups. But, the idea that isolation exercises offer nothing to the strength and general fitness market is wrong. In particular for injury prevention and injury recovery. People take articles like this and strip the sarcasm and humor from them then use it as a talking point. The picture of the woman doing leg abductors made me laugh.
  • DavPul
    edited September 2015
    Options

Right????

So when do we get to the science?

Yes. I've really been suffering here. I'm certain it's the curls that have been holding me back

• DavPul
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »

Of course the article is tongue in cheek, but this has also developed a dogmatic following over the last few years. In large part the following is thanks to guys like Rippetoe and the screaming horde of Crossfitters. I agree beginners would do well to put down the twenty pound dumbbells and work on chin ups, they should also think about leaving the pull downs alone and learning to do pull-ups. But, the idea that isolation exercises offer nothing to the strength and general fitness market is wrong. In particular for injury prevention and injury recovery. People take articles like this and strip the sarcasm and humor from them then use it as a talking point. The picture of the woman doing leg abductors made me laugh.

^all this.

Know how cool it is when you're talking about Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones with a friend and someone walks up and says "I don't own a TV"? Don't you always love when that person does that? It makes them the coolest person in the room every single time.