ladies question

Options
blessingsfromabove721
blessingsfromabove721 Posts: 161 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Can ovulation and that TOM make you gain weight/stall your weight loss for two weeks?

I've been in this for about 6 weeks, and the last two weeks I have gained 1.4 lbs and then this week nothing. I use a scale or measure everything so I know that's not it.

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never see weight loss until I get my period. Literally, this month, it was the middle of the day, I'd been to the gym for 2 hours and then out for coffee, came home, went to the loo, saw the evidence, jumped on the scale, and was a kg lighter than when I'd weighed myself a couple days prior. Water retention/whatever masks my loss from ovulation till TOM, it's annoying but I'm learning it's also incredibly predictable
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Usually the week before and the week during my TOM I don't lose anything. The week after I get a good loss. It sucks but at least I know why I don't lose those 2 weeks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I stop losing and gain a few pounds at ovulation and only lose the week after TOM.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, essentially what @Francl27 said
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My TOM I gain anything up to 6lbs. Luckily my birth control means I don't have to have them every month, phew!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Yes. I gain for 2 weeks, lose that weight for 2 weeks, and make some actual loss for a week.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I usually maintain during my period and then for a few days after, and then it drops. :)
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    yep. I bloat really badly - easily 5 to 7 pounds, my clothes don't fit, certain pairs of shoes don't fit, heck even my rings don't fit. Then after my cycle I'm down 10 pounds. Last month I weighed myself a week and a half before I was at 145 and then again 3 days after TOM- 135. That's a difference of 10 pounds in about 12 days. Overall weight loss for the month was 3 pounds.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yes.

</thread>
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I find that completely cutting out salt and most carbs helps me with the water retention. It doesn't eliminate it, but it's not nearly as bad as before. The irony of eating watermelons during PMS when I really want salty fries is something that I don't enjoy :neutral:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    I find that completely cutting out salt and most carbs helps me with the water retention. It doesn't eliminate it, but it's not nearly as bad as before. The irony of eating watermelons during PMS when I really want salty fries is something that I don't enjoy :neutral:

Watermelon has carbs. In fact, watermelon is pretty much all carbs.

I'm just saying, bodies go through natural hormonal cycles. Weight is a range. There's no need to dramatically change your diet and cut out things like all carbs or all salt, which are both good for us in moderation. Just log and track your weight and you'll notice patterns and cycles, for instance, if you know you always go up by 2-3 pounds just before your period and drop them a few days later. That's fine. Nothing to stress about.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I lose most of my weight...well, I see the scales changes...the week after I get my period. About two weeks in, it stalls, then goes up right before the period, then I lose a bunch the week after.

Being peri-menopausal has made it all weirder. I have all the same stuff on the scale (as well as the bloating and such), but no actual period. It's so weird. I know when it should've come by the way my body feels, but no period. Same weight gains and losses, too.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yep, and my tummy measurement gets depressing if I'm not sure my period is hitting or not (I am not regular, and I get many symptoms before the obvious one, lol).