Safe Fast Food Suggestions? Share your favorite!

Options
2»

Replies

• gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    uhh, i wanna move to New Zealand
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    uhh, i wanna move to New Zealand

NZ is freaking epic :D
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If i am caught /stuck and have to buy somethign out, i would most likely find a grocery store and get something like a yogurt , cottage cheese, tuna and rice cakes or a roll, etc. or if i were near a supermarket, i would pick up some fresh fruit, or fresh veg, or see if they have a salad bar, or even go to their meat counter and buy a few slices of cooked chicken breast or cheese or something and add a few cherry tomatoes and cucumber from the produce dept. I'm not saying "never" on FF, but the more i think about it and the more i go online and see the nutritional values, for me the better chioice would be something else.

I admit, i rarely eat out (it's expensive and FOR ME less healthy), i'd rather cook myself and take it with me.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Fast food is just an occasional thing for me, so I don't worry too much about it.

I can fit most things from McDonalds/Burger King/KFC/etc. into my calorie goals if I don't have fries and high-calorie drinks with them and count it as my main meal of the day. Alternatively, the kid's meal are a good portion size, but they don't have the variety.

I've also sometimes eaten just the burger and not the bun (a habit I got into in low-carb days).

Another trick, is not to eat the whole thing. I know it's a waste, but it's an excellent way to have the taste but save some calories! I wish there was an option to "go small" and have just a few fries.

There is also some slightly "healthier" fast food here such as Spudulike and Bagel Nash, but it's not so accessible (i.e. not drivethrough!). At Spudulike I'd have a potato with cottage cheese, for instance.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A few said that "800 calories in one meal" is something way too much and something they would never do because its too many calories...
    Maybe those people are eating 500 or 600 calories of 'snacks' like some of my MFP friends! If you are just eating a couple meals, no snacking you have plenty of calories for this.

I find with FF, if you cut the fries (or just get a teensy portion) and drink iced tea (unsweet) you can keep the calories pretty reasonable.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Safe: Any establishment that has an "A" health rating. Safe.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Berry Almond Chicken salad is awesome! And it only has like 430 cals, and like 38 grams of protein.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    NOTHING about anything on the MCD's menu is safe. I say fresco style tacos or veggie cantina bowl (half) from Taco Bell or Subway or a salad with romaine or spinach, not iceberg lettuce.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Berry Almond Chicken salad is awesome! And it only has like 430 cals, and like 38 grams of protein.

Love this!!
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    Love Chipotle! I do the fajita bowl with brown rice, meat, mild and green salsa's a bit of cheese and lettuce. I pass on sour cream and gauc mainly cause I don't care for them ;)
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat much fast food anymore. I get that you can still have it and still lose weight as long as you use common sense and moderation, but if I eat any of it, I spend about two weeks craving it . If I stay away from it, I don't really have any interest in it.

That being said, I will sometimes have a subway sandwich. I like the tuna, but I ask for only half the tuna they usually use, and pile on a lot of veggies. I have Jimmy Johns once in a great while. There are a few sandwiches I can get on their menu. Their website menu is awesome at finding out the calories for you. I've also had Arby's turkey swiss wrap, but no french fries or any thing else. French fries are problematic for me.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Subway and Panera are two of my favorites for fast food, but I don't rule anything out. I just either check the menu or online for nutritional information and make sure I stay within my goals for the day. This usually means not getting the larger items (depending on what I've had before and/or am planning for after), but it's not a solid rule. One thing I haven't gotten a lot lately when I go to fast food restaurants are fries - for me, I would rather have a larger sandwich/salad than potatoes.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My go to is WhataBurger Chicken sandwich-plain and dry. I remove the bread and eat the chicken only with apple slices and a large unsweet ice tea!

I do not usually do salads fast food. I am picky about my lettuce (I dislike iceburg lettuce), and I do not like shredded cheese added to my salad. I also found that they can be skimpy with the chicken added.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat much fast food anymore. I get that you can still have it and still lose weight as long as you use common sense and moderation, but if I eat any of it, I spend about two weeks craving it . If I stay away from it, I don't really have any interest in it.

That being said, I will sometimes have a subway sandwich. I like the tuna, but I ask for only half the tuna they usually use, and pile on a lot of veggies. I have Jimmy Johns once in a great while. There are a few sandwiches I can get on their menu. Their website menu is awesome at finding out the calories for you. I've also had Arby's turkey swiss wrap, but no french fries or any thing else. French fries are problematic for me.

Have you tried the Jimmy Johns Unwich? Substituting the bread for lettuce will greatly reduce the calories-carbs-etc...
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Have you tried the Jimmy Johns Unwich? Substituting the bread for lettuce will greatly reduce the calories-carbs-etc...

I actually like Jimmy John's Tuna unwhich.