late night eating

Options
Hi guys!

I'm having trouble sticking to my calorie limit. All day I eat great and I exercise, but then come 8pm I absolutely ruin my calorie count by snacking! The worst part is, I'm not even hungry... I just get it in my mind that I want something to eat, and then I have to have it. It's not that I'm not eating healthy at night, it's just that it's unnecessary.

Does anyone else have problems with late night snacking? Any tips to stop it?

Thanks!

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yep I do that too..... I eat when I am not even hungry

It happens if I do a late night workout too..... Maybe try and save some calories for this

I need to sort it out as from tomorrow...I think a protein shake after workout is good
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I also want something then. A lot of times a glass of sugar free fruit punch works for me, but a lot of people hate that stuff. The best answer is the hardest - develop some mental toughness and just get past it. The worst part about giving in to eating when you aren't hungry is that it opens the door for a binge.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You need to space/sort out your meals/snacks better so you have some cals left for when you get home
  • ajbloomu
    ajbloomu Posts: 16
    Options
    Yeah I suggest adding a bit more to your dinner or pre-workout snack/meal. But to me late night snacking is not a mortal sin. I like having something before bed so I stick to either a fat free yogurt, a piece of fruit, some raisins, some jello, etc. The point is I keep it healthy and fat free, and it has not stopped my weight loss at all.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. So I save at least 500 calories and keep a lot of low cal items on hand. Hard boiled eggs, broiled chicken breasts, string cheese, veggies, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding cups, sugar free fruit cups. If the crazes hit me then I go to these things. A major pig out without a lot of calories.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Couple of things here. I will try to be succinct:

1) water, water, water. Definitely helps to curb your appetite and helps in many other ways
    2) calories in/calories out: Just focus on this right now. If you have the calories left, have the snack.
    3) the late night eating thing is based on the fact that your metabolism slows when you sleep. Ultimately, still calories in/calories out. However, if you do some strength training at night, that helps keep your metabolism higher longer and help the calories out part even while you sleep.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely second the water suggestion. I'd also like to add that in some cases, what you might think is hunger, might actually be thirst.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I feel like you have a bit of that late night eating stigma that's been going around. In the end, it's really all about calories in vs calories out. I often don't start eating until 5 or 6 pm, just so I have enough calories to get me through my cravings at night; time is irrelevant to weight loss, your body does not know the difference. I suggest having smaller meals early on in the day so you can have some calories left for later on in the night. I think it helps psychologically when you're able to reach the end of your night knowing you have calories left. I know for me it's helped me binge a lot less. There isn't a whole lot of feelings worse than one of being restricted from eating
  • jmarsh9
    jmarsh9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! Yes water is definitely helpful-I just have to make sure I always have a full water bottle by my side.

I think I'll try what some of you have suggested, and save some calories for the end of the night, so I can snack in peace :)
  • jmarsh9
    jmarsh9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel like you have a bit of that late night eating stigma that's been going around. In the end, it's really all about calories in vs calories out. I often don't start eating until 5 or 6 pm, just so I have enough calories to get me through my cravings at night; time is irrelevant to weight loss, your body does not know the difference. I suggest having smaller meals early on in the day so you can have some calories left for later on in the night. I think it helps psychologically when you're able to reach the end of your night knowing you have calories left. I know for me it's helped me binge a lot less. There isn't a whole lot of feelings worse than one of being restricted from eating

It's not the time of day that's the problem for me- I definitely agree, snacking at night is not as horrible as some people make it. The problem is that by around 6-7, I've had as much food as I should (few or little calories left), but I keep on snacking later on in the night, so I end up going way over my calorie count. Like you said- I'm going to eat a bit less during the day, so I can have some food later on in the night and not feel bad for it.
  • charianna2
    charianna2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new at this game and I have LOTS TO LEARN... Who's up to helping a old hag in distress!?!?!?
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I try to follow a rule that I never eat after 6:00 pm and every time I follow it I have great success on the scale. One thing I recently learned is that late night eating is a double whammy - not only do you have no chance if burning the calories, your body will put effort Into processing the crap that should be going towards making your sleep more productive. So you wake up tired from poor sleep and sluggish from a bunch of unnecessary food (likely sugars and salt). Set a deadline of last call and stick with it :)
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was a big late night eater. It's only recently become better. Only way I dealt with it was to save calories for it - like others suggested. I plan what I'll have ahead, log it carefully, and have safe snacks in mind - and no guilt. You can get creative with your choices. I eat a lot less late nite now. Some of my go to choices are: Half an apple with 1 T. almond butter, Diet Swiss Miss, yoghurt, sugar free popsicles or jello, veggies & 2T hummus, Wasa or other whole grain cracker with light Laughing Cow cheese and tomato slices & pickles. If I'm feeling really hungry, I'll make an egg white omelet with veggies/leftover proteins and weight watchers cheese. Measure everything though. If you plan & log it, you'll own it.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to break the habit of eating when you're bored, find something to take up the time. Do some jumping jacks, read a book...whatever interests you. You said that often you're not hungry when you snack, saving the calories isn't going to change that you are eating when you're not hungry.