Measured myself. Not excited. Thoughts?????

So I finally did it, I measured myself. I weighed myself for the first time 3 weeks ago and have been tracking with MFP since then. *That* was a pretty startling wakeup call, and today's measurements were more so. In a way I wish I had measured myself when I began, but I didn't.

Anyone have some words of encouragement for me? I guess I have to start somewhere and this is where I am.

SW 248.5
CW 242.5
Goal (for now) 190

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    I'm not sure what you're needing. You've only been doing this for three weeks and you've only lost 6 pounds. Were you expecting a 6 pound loss to come along with a six inch loss?? Chances are, half of that loss was water weight. Record those measurements you took, keep eating well and exercising and measure again in a month. Then, repeat.
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're needing. You've only been doing this for three weeks and you've only lost 6 pounds. Were you expecting a 6 pound loss to come along with a six inch loss?? Chances are, half of that loss was water weight. Record those measurements you took, keep eating well and exercising and measure again in a month. Then, repeat.

All of this!! Keep at it & measure yourself again a month later.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Think of weight loss as peeling an onion, you've just got to keep on peeling! 6 pounds is amazing progress, keep going!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited September 2015
    Weight loss requires time and patience. 3 weeks isn't enough time to measure success or change. You're on the right path though. You've already lost 6 lbs. Congrats! In another 3 weeks that number may double and you'll be down 12 lbs. It'll all add up. You just need to give it more time.

I generally measure myself every 4 weeks or so, progress pictures monthly, etc.

Take pictures. You'll be so glad you did. Sometimes we don't see the change in the mirror, but when we look and compare pictures, it's clear as day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Think of weight loss as peeling an onion, you've just got to keep on peeling! 6 pounds is amazing progress, keep going!!

This!

I started MFP around 245ish, and I weighed in this morning at 193.6lb. It's been about 2 years. I'm losing a lot slower than others (and slower than I'd like), but I'm still at it and I haven't given up. If nothing else, that is HUGE progress for me. I usually abandon the gym after a few months and go back to my slothful ways (while cramming all the food in my mouth). I may have gained some back or spent way too many months in the 190s, but I did not go right back up to my start weight. And I could always pull myself back into the weight loss/logging mentality.

And I still get frustrated with the scale or measurements. It's hard to get the entire picture from one metric. I recommend weighing, measuring, and taking progress photos.

And you're doing great!!!
  • workin_onit
    workin_onit Posts: 102 Member
    rbfdac wrote: »

Hi...no I wasn't expecting amazing inch loss!! I've been to this rodeo before :). I guess it's just needing to acknowledge where I am. And asking others how they approached
  • workin_onit
    Oops posted a little too soon there. I was hoping to hear how other people came to terms with everything and what people tell themselves in order to succeed.

Thanks for the reply.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    You have a good start! Give yourself credit for what you have done. Stick with it and the numbers will change.
  • workin_onit
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thanks! I'm on it...
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Good start. Just keep moving forward.
  • workin_onit
    Auddii,

You are in "onederland" and that is a beautiful thing! Thanks for your story
  • workin_onit
    Alrightey, it's been a while and I wanted to report back...I've lost 19 pounds now! I'm really happy with that, and feel motivated to keep going.

This morning I had measurements done (not inches, but a machine that measures lean mass/fat mass, BMI, strenth of legs and arms) and all that weight I lost? Almost all fat!

I'm having a really good day, thought I would share!
  • mrsmackieblacky
    mrsmackieblacky Posts: 164 Member
    Alrightey, it's been a while and I wanted to report back...I've lost 19 pounds now! I'm really happy with that, and feel motivated to keep going.

This morning I had measurements done (not inches, but a machine that measures lean mass/fat mass, BMI, strenth of legs and arms) and all that weight I lost? Almost all fat!

Well done!!! It made me happy to read this and hear how well you've done sticking to the plan :)
    I'm new to this but I'm taking it one day at a time. Your story has inspired me!
  • workin_onit

Well done!!! It made me happy to read this and hear how well you've done sticking to the plan :)
    I'm new to this but I'm taking it one day at a time. Your story has inspired me!

Thanks for that! Good luck with your journey...feel free to friend me!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I started at 136 this time last year....I am now 172! You just have to keep plugging along, maintaining a deficit and the weight will come off!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

Well done! Thanks so much for coming back and updating us! It's great to hear about someone having success after posting here!
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    I think it's around 1% of total body weight per week is suppose to be good sustainable loss.