Personal Trainer 'Advice'

Options
PinkPixiexox
PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi lovelies :)

My personal trainer said something interesting to me today and my first thought was "Hmmm, I don't think MFP would agree with you there!".

He commented that I'm doing very well on my plan but not to weigh myself much anymore because "As you are building muscle, you will likely gain weight".

My first thought was ".... BUT I'M IN A DEFICIT AND HE KNOWS THIS".

Before MFP, I used to trust my trainer's word on every thing. First of all he suggested I eat 1600 calories at least in order to lose weight (which I worked out would NOT put me at a deficit - or not much of one, anyway!), then he suggested I also eat a very low carb diet (NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO), now he's talking about muscle gains because I'm lifting weights even though I am actively losing weight.

*Sigh* Thank goodness for you all!

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If your trainer claims you can gain weight in a deficit, or that you need to eat more to lose more (eating more is about health, but it will never cause faster weight loss) I would recommend finding a different trainer, or at least make your relationship with your trainer only about exercise, not diet.
    Personally, I wouldn't want to be subsidizing bro-science.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    Yes - I will definitely stick to MFP for nutrition advice!!!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When you have more knowledge than your "trainer," it's time to find a new trainer...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Always weigh yourself every day. Between that, and your percent body fat, you always know exactly where you are.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If he recommended a calorie level over maintenance he is expecting you to build muscle and, thus, gain weight. Either you and he have your wires crossed or he is ignoring your goals.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If he recommended a calorie level over maintenance he is expecting you to build muscle and, thus, gain weight. Either you and he have your wires crossed or he is ignoring your goals.

He knows, ultimately - weight loss is my goal!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to weed through the PTs to find the right one. I rejected any PT that was more interested in my diet than my exercise goals. I have some issues and with the help of some really great suggestions from someone here found an excellent PT. Who, by the way, quickly fired me until I got medical clearance to continue since he picked up on a very large issue and kept me from causing further damage.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of trainers that give bad advice. There is also some utterly terrible advice given out here on mfp.

Were you having results with your trainer before coming here? Or if you were here 1st were you seeing results before going to him?
    Are you very new to working out with weights and do you have a lot of weight to lose?
    Sometimes the weight gain from "building muscle" is just the muscles having a lot more fluid volume to them (water weight) so while it's technically not new muscle tissue, the added weight is real.
    There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to frequency of weighing yourself.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym where "strength" and making PR's are celebrated. The members who can lift a lot of weight are usually larger. They are encouraged to eat more, not less and keep getting stronger. This seems to be the mentality of a lot of trainers.
    For me, I don't care about lifting a ton of weight. I want to maintain my weight because I do not want to be where I was 40 some pounds ago. My trainer was not happy because I was losing weight and losing strength. I was okay with it
    It really comes down to your choice. If you eat at a modest deficit and lift you will lose weight. I know many people who train and are happy about the weights they lift but deep down are still not happy with their weight loss. The trainers seem to want to keep them from losing weight because that a lot of times that means losing strength.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I agree that your trainer should be used only for exercise from now on.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Trainers have different strengths and abilities. It is good that you recognized those of yours and are filtering his advice accordingly. :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Your personal trainer is right for the wrong reasons.

You would benefit from not weighing yourself often now that you are close to goal and given your general obsessiveness from what I can gather from your previous posts.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

My personal trainer said something interesting to me today and my first thought was "Hmmm, I don't think MFP would agree with you there!".

He commented that I'm doing very well on my plan but not to weigh myself much anymore because "As you are building muscle, you will likely gain weight".

Before MFP, I used to trust my trainer's word on every thing. First of all he suggested I eat 1600 calories at least in order to lose weight (which I worked out would NOT put me at a deficit - or not much of one, anyway!), then he suggested I also eat a very low carb diet (NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO), now he's talking about muscle gains because I'm lifting weights even though I am actively losing weight.

Are you actually eating at a surplus and lifting heavy? If not, then:
    Tsl90s4.gif
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Are you actually eating at a surplus and lifting heavy? If not, then:
    Tsl90s4.gif

Hahaha! Love this!
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Your personal trainer is right for the wrong reasons.

You would benefit from not weighing yourself often now that you are close to goal and given your general obsessiveness from what I can gather from your previous posts.

I don't mean to be 'obsessive' :(
    It just kind of comes across that way. I'm not really neurotic, hahah! :)
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A trick I found was to weigh yourself before you go to bed and again when you get up.
    The difference between those two weights is a (rather unscientific) measurement of your metabolism.

You'll find that when you are working out hard the number will be greater than when you are not. I's kind of a barometer of how much work your body is doing as you sleep.

When I start seeing differences of under two pounds, it's a sure indication I've been slacking.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh myself daily just to keep the data set going. It does take some discipline to make sure I'm valuing the 'larger picture' instead of individual weigh-ins, though.