Cutting out alcohol!!

Options
I'm in my 40s and have been drinking way too many alcohol calories nightly. I finally decided they were not worth it, as I have not been able to lose weight, despite killing myself in the gym.

If you cut out alcohol, what was your weight loss? Did you notice it was easier to lose weight? Loss per week?

Looking for encouragement and hopefulness!! :) Thanks, all!

Replies

• jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it was necessarily easier to lose weight, but I have cut down my alcohol intake a LOT since I decided to get serious about my health. My biggest thing is when I have a few too many one night, the next day I feel groggy and don't have as much energy to do my workout, and I find that since I'm a bit more tired than normal I have more of a desire to eat (delicious) less nutritional foods. So I would say too much alcohol definitely hinders my weight loss a bit, in that it mentally takes me away from my goal and it's harder to stay focused.

That being said, I do enjoy a beer or cider a couple times a week, I just make sure not to overdo it and ALWAYS log it. If a beer is going to take me over my calorie limit for the day, I simply don't have it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day (on average) are/were you drinking?

As long as you don't replace those calories with something else, then yes, cutting alcohol can be helpful in losing weight, as you're cutting calories out of your diet.

As the above poster mentioned though, I'd strongly suggest trying to find a way to moderate your intake, rather than cut it out completely. You want your solutions to be something you can stick to long-term to maximize your chances of success.
  • winddancinash
    winddancinash Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol is currently something that I am also struggling with in regards to my weight loss.
    I think you also have to consider that you may not always eat the best when you drink. At least, I know I definitely don't.
    I've tried cutting back my alcohol intake to one night a week, and always the night before rest day at the gym. I try not to go overboard on how much I drink or eat also.
    Since I've started doing this, I have noticed some changes in my body in a positive manner. So I definitely think that it's helping me lose!
    Keep it up!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40s and have been drinking way too many alcohol calories nightly. I finally decided they were not worth it, as I have not been able to lose weight, despite killing myself in the gym.

If you cut out alcohol, what was your weight loss? Did you notice it was easier to lose weight? Loss per week?

Looking for encouragement and hopefulness!! :) Thanks, all!

Cut out alcohol and lost 172lbs .... haven't had a drink since I made that decision. It's really up to you man, do what you want. From my perspective alcohol is horrible for you, if you're a man it drops your testosterone levels for 48 hours.... which means your body will not recover as well during that time... which means all that work you put in the gym the last 2 days you're getting maybe 40% of the possible benefits from your workouts for the next 48 hours....

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    When I cut alcohol I weighed 155 lbs. within a months I lost over 30 lbs without really having to "try". I think it happened relatively effortlessly because I wasn't getting the liquid calories, and I was making better decisions with respect to food choices. I found that it was easier to over eat high calorie foods after a few drinks. It's been a few years since I made the cut and I haven't regained the weight. I have also found I don't miss the alcohol - I still go out with friends and have a good time. I just don't drink. Good luck OP!
  • dljones67
    dljones67 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I found that drinking too often did definitely hinder my weight loss I now drink 2 - 4 days a month and when I do I normally go over on those days and I quit beating myself up over it. I log it, own it and get back on track the next day. In 4 months I'm down 38 lbs. & I'm happy. I'm losing stead & still have what I want on occasion ;)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I dont particular like alcohol so I've not had to worry about cutting it out!

Drinking alcohol is absolutely fine if you're willing to sacrifice some of your food to remain at your calorie deficit! For me, I don't like to drink my calories. But if you can fit into your day then there is no reason why you can't continue enjoying it! :)
  • 15feb
    15feb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat I enjoy having a few drinkings to unwind in the evening I just work harder excercising to count those calories in my daily intake of calories not sure if its going to work or not just started doing it..
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There's no one size fits all.

To lose weight, all you have to do is consume fewer calories than you burn. Some people find it easiest to do this by cutting out certain kinds of food or drink. Others find it easier to just eat what they did before in smaller quantities. There's no right or wrong answer; it's just whatever you are happiest and most comfortable with and able to stick to.

Personally I enjoy craft beer and have continued to drink it through my weight loss. I'm more conscious of quantity, of course, but I see no reason to deprive myself of the things I enjoy.

Look at it this way: You're not dieting. You're changing habits for life. If you can't realistically see yourself sticking to the no alcohol thing forever and ever, then by its very nature it will be temporary in your mind, and once you lose the weight you'll just go right back to your old habits and probably gain it back. Anything that has an end date in your mind is a recipe for failure. I personally think that learning how to moderate is better than learning how to cut something out entirely, since it is sustainable over the long term.*

*Of course, for anyone reading this who has a problem with alcohol abuse, the above doesn't apply, and you'd be best advised to seek out some help for your alcoholism to allow you to quit drinking.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out alcohol as it made me gain weight back, the extra calories coupled with eating more while drinking then eating more the next morning from hurting from drinking the night before was not working for me. You can make it work but it is hard so i personally just decided i wanted to be lean more than i wanted a alcohol and didnt want to work that much harder or make it that much more difficult on myself because of alcohol.
  • rilmarie999
    rilmarie999 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost weight during each of my three pregnancies in the first trimester because I wasn't drinking my nightly glass of wine :) that said for me it's not a long term lifestyle choice if I'm going to cut out casual drinks. Plan for it and log it - if you have the calories left have a drink if not - don't.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I cut out most of my drinking and am eating more food and getting stronger and still loosing over a pound a week. alcohol just has too many empty calories but I still enjoy a couple drinks during the weekend. It was a very bad habbit for me. l now drink lime flavored carbonated water and enjoy the dollars I'm not spending.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    First thing I tell clients is to cut alcohol if they tend to consume a considerable amount to have a negative effect on both ther health and weight loss goals. Without exercise or just living how they were, but without alcohol, most if not all my clients have lost weight just by the simple task. Better for your health and weightloss. Of coarse I tell them to be moderate and still enjoy once in a while(:
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I had to cut out alcohol as it made me gain weight back, the extra calories coupled with eating more while drinking then eating more the next morning from hurting from drinking the night before was not working for me. You can make it work but it is hard so i personally just decided i wanted to be lean more than i wanted a alcohol and didnt want to work that much harder or make it that much more difficult on myself because of alcohol.

I agree with this. Although I have not cut out alcohol, I have cut back. The cycle of, drinking too many calories, might as well have some pizza, need a breakfast sandwich and hair of the dog the next morning, really kills your diet.

Again, it's all about the calories.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've cut down on alcohol a lot and I feel it's helped me lose weight so far. I still have the odd half a cider or wine but I make it fit and have it on special occasions or when I really want/will enjoy one. It was hard to come home from a stressful day and not pour a glass of wine but exercise has filled that gap now.

I did previously lose weight but I was exercising and eating pretty much nothing for breakfast and lunch and then have a reasonable dinner and a load to drink and still lost weight. I look back and see that wasn't healthy.
  • bedfordandgrove
    bedfordandgrove Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I cut alcohol I weighed 155 lbs. within a months I lost over 30 lbs without really having to "try". I think it happened relatively effortlessly because I wasn't getting the liquid calories, and I was making better decisions with respect to food choices. I found that it was easier to over eat high calorie foods after a few drinks. It's been a few years since I made the cut and I haven't regained the weight. I have also found I don't miss the alcohol - I still go out with friends and have a good time. I just don't drink. Good luck OP!

dljones67 wrote: »
    I found that drinking too often did definitely hinder my weight loss I now drink 2 - 4 days a month and when I do I normally go over on those days and I quit beating myself up over it. I log it, own it and get back on track the next day. In 4 months I'm down 38 lbs. & I'm happy. I'm losing stead & still have what I want on occasion ;)

Yes! Those were the results I was looking for :) Great job! I hope and pray this will be my story by the time 2016 rolls around ;)
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I needed this thread!

I lost weight relatively quickly last year because I wasn't drinking much. Now I've been trying to lose weight all year to no success because I drink every night. I know I'm going to drink Friday and Saturday so I'm cutting it out during the rest of the week. We should start a support group.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I cut down, but not cut out. Started getting even more int craft beers, so one or two decent beers in a night a few times a week is all good.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Much easier to lose and maintain weight loss. Improved sleep Will help with better hormone balance.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Alcohol munchies. I hate them. Ruins my ability to replace celebratory foods with celebratory vodka unless I'm out dancing and nowhere near chips, peanuts, or pretty much any food not nailed down.

On the other hand, I don't have to worry about replacing any comfort eating habits with comfort drinking habits. That's good for my long term health, I'm sure. Alcohol, like junky foods, must be nothing more than a rare treat for me in the future.

I am so not happy about that.